“Lunch ”

Asian Star China Buffet
Ranked #43 of 117 Restaurants in Reynoldsburg
Cuisines: American, Asian, Chinese
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

It’s okay. It’s a “you get what you pay for” restaurant. Sometimes the food is hot, sometimes it isn’t.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed 8 April 2018

Most of the bad reviews about this place are from people that don't understand how a mid-price ranged Chinese bistro works and also those with various stomach and bowel problems.

The food tastes good but is not of the highest quality, that's how most mid to low level bistro's are and Asian Star is exactly that. In short, Asian Star is "Chinese Fast Food", not authentic Chinese food so the quality won't be 5 star otherwise the price would have to go up. Dinner also has more options than lunch which is nice, but that's the same with most bistro's so there is nothing unique about Asian Star in that regard.

They also have many "american" dishes there such as pizza, chicken wings, and apple pie which is disappointing considering this is to be an "Asian bistro", but again, you get what you pay for. To be fair, I think the management wants to appeal to a larger demographic which makes sense from a "bottom line" perspective; so it appears they've thrown in "favorites" from popular TV commercials and popular opinion from the surrounding areas. It's a good business plan for the location of this particular Asian Star, though I am unsure if the menu changes drastically in other locations.

The staff and service here are what you would expect from any mid level bistro as well, some are courteous, some are not, they are probably not being paid the best wages and are worked long hours, I've had fast food and food service jobs before and it isn't the most pleasant atmosphere to work in. People tend to be very adamant and vocal about their food, hence a good potion of the reviews on this website are bad ones.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

This is always a great place to eat. Such a good variety. My favorite is the fish and the cheesy spinach.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

We have been to many buffet's like this and did not expect much difference. For the most part, it is what you would expect. Clean, efficient, quick wait staff. We visited on a Friday evening and the place was busy but not crowded.
When we were seated, our server was quick to take drink orders and invite us to the buffet. They have a large selection of Saki, wine and beer listed on a display card at each table. We opted for soft drinks and water. Our server smiled the entire time she served us and kept a close watch on the drinks and plates. She also kept out of the way by taking a position where she could see her tables without having to constantly walk the floor. That is a good strategy given the patrons are already crowding up the aisles going to and from the buffet.
The buffet was fresh and hot and they kept the food stocked. Nothing was overcooked that I could tell and the food we had was not dried out. I tried a variety of things but the standouts for us were the steamed prawns, egg rolls, stuffed mushrooms, and teriyaki chicken. For veggies they had green beans and then salad. I would have like more veggie dishes to supplement the meal but I managed by taking some of the veggies from one of the other dishes (chicken and broccoli, I think).
The desserts were plentiful and were tasty. I find that the desserts can be flavorless in places like this but the things I tried were all very good. There was a flaky and crispy cake thing with a creamy filling that was quite good and the apple pie (more like a strudel) was very good. There is also cut up melon, pineapple and bananas. I combined the bananas with the vanilla pudding for a nice treat.
A criticism would be that they have the sauces for the dinner entree's near the dinner items. They are currently located at the dessert bar and you have to look for them. I would suggest a good sriracha sauce to go with the usual mix of sauces.
Come hungry and enjoy the food!

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 6 March 2017 via mobile

Amazing crab Rangoon. Everything else was typical Chinese buffet mediocre. But the crab Rangoon.....mmmmmmmm. I only scored a 3 because I would have liked to of had other things that were just as good. Instead I ate several plates of just crab.

Date of visit: March 2017