“Love the atmosphere- local treasure”

Mamma Disalvo's Italian Ristorante
Ranked #1 of 69 Restaurants in Kettering
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Authentic Italian cuisine made from Mamma's family recipes. Family owned and operated since 1979.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The atmosphere was great. When you walk in you smell the goodness! If you are visiting Dayton it is worth the little trip! Great food

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

it had been a number of years since we went to Mamma's...but we decided to check in again last Saturday evening. The wait was only about 15 minutes. Once we were seated we were almost immediately greeted with a fresh basket of warm wonderful bread-and glasses of water (we all know that many restaurants don't do this anymore!). Our drink orders were taken and we ordered the antipasto for 2 to start-I had iced tea which was wonderful-fresh brewed, non cloudy, not that stuff out of the tap that tastes slightly of lemon-this was just GOOD iced tea. If you're an iced tea lover, you get the reason I'm making a big deal. Hubby had a soda, and before we knew it our salads were there-you get the option of ordering it with blue cheese or asiago on top-we both had the asiago, and it came in shavings rather than (as I'd imagined) grated. We both had the house dressing-again wonderful. Then the antipasto-which was advertised as enough for 1-2 but would have probably been plenty along with salads for 3-4. it was VERY good. our meals came out very shortly afterwards-I had the homemade gnocchi and meatballs-and he had the homemade angel hair with homemade sausage...WOW. BOTH main dishes were wonderful-his was the best, however...and if I had it to do again, I'd order that homemade angel hair pasta every time! SO GOOD. The gnocchi was good, don't get me wrong-but I like my gnocchi a little more firm than soft. that's the ONLY thing I can say to the negative. it was definitely good, but it's just a consistency thing with me. Certainly didn't prevent me from eating a good portion there and then the rest at home a few days later! We were both too full for dessert but it looked like they had some really yummy offerings. Above and beyond everything else I have to say, I have to commend the SERVICE at this restaurant. The gentleman at the podium aside (he's a little on the arrogant side) every single one of the people we encountered (most especially our server, a male whose name I have forgotten unfortunately) were OUTSTANDING. I complimented him twice on how good the service was and he insisted that he had been worried as they were so busy that he wasn't giving us ENOUGH ATTENTION! :) Even the lady who was bussing tables was great-she offered to help us in packing up our left overs, and was double checking that we had everything we need-I would imagine because he was so busy. Even the arrogant "host" we first encountered came over and checked on us. To summarize, GREAT food, FANTASTIC service-and all at a very fair price. I highly recommend Mamma's to satisfy your Italian craving. It's no wonder it's a local legend.

lmgrigs, Public Relations Manager at Mamma Disalvo's Italian Ristorante, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thanks so much for sharing such kind words! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We had reservations for a busy Saturday eve and it was nice to wait only a bit! It’s a busy local restaurant. The bruschetta appetizer with garlicky ciabatta bread , fresh tomatoes, basil and balsamic drizzle and melted mozzarella was excellent!! The house salad with the garlic Italian dressing was so fresh! Entree eggplant Parmesan with pasta and to die for red sauce....soooo good! Side of tasty meatballs! Other entree’s sampled were veal Marsala, lasagne, and manicotti.... all excellent!! Casual local restaurant is really a treasure!!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This restaurant is located in a strip mall off of East Stroop road. The strip mall looks like something straight out of the 60s and the restaurant is in a part on the left-hand side that looks like an ad on. With that being said, as you walk in the restaurant, you still feel like you are in the 60s. Unfortunately, all the furnishings, tables, chairs, and everything else also look like they’re from the 60s (extremely dated and cramped).

The host escorted us almost immediately to our table which was surrounded by tables that needed bussing. This was a task for us, because the tables were so close to each other and the restaurant was packed. We thought it must be a good sign with so many people there. Our waitress was extremely busy, so it took a long time to get Service. It took 10 minutes to get her attention so that we could return the Bellini and to order a different drink. This was indicative of the service for our entire dinner.

So now to the food, we started off with a couple salads and an appetizer that had fried calamari and bruschetta. The bruschetta had cream cheese instead of mozzarella and were drizzled with balsamic vinegar. The bread tasted like it was stale and burnt, so we definitely didn’t appreciate it. The calamari were good and the marinara sauce needed love (tasted more like tomato sauce than marinara). For main courses we had homemade gnocchi with Italian sausage in a pesto sauce and linguini vongoles (no I didn’t spell it wrong…that’s what’s on the menu). The gnocchi were good but the pesto sauce was very light and the Italian sausage was also burnt. For the linguine, it was good but not great.

Our overall dining experience left a lot to be desired. To be fair and honest, I cannot recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 8 June 2018

Following an invigorating Tennis Match at Five Seasons, my wife requests “Italian” for lunch.

Mamma DiSalvo Risturante certainly qualifies as a Classic Greater Dayton Metropolitan Area Italian restaurant. This restaurant was founded in 1979, and we do frequent the restaurant and the deli.

I advise my wife that the Lunch Menu is plain vanilla; and, my wife responds that there is no plain vanilla Italian restaurant.

Mamma DiSalvo Risturante is a few minutes’ drive from our home, and there is adequate parking.

Our standard for assessing an Italian restaurant is to judge is the chef can go off menu. And sure enough, the chef is able to provide Linguine with Spicy Shrimp and Seafood Al Diavlo.

When my wife said, “there is no plain vanilla Italian restaurant,” she was correct. I am thinking the lunch menu is plain vanilla; however, given a talented chef, many things are possible.

Mamma DiSalvo Risturante is clearly a local’s favorite. A few savvy Tripadvisor readers may enter with high expectations.

Ambience: Classic Italian Restaurant

Service: Very Good

Dining: Excellent If Chef is prompted

Mamma DiSalvo Risturante is a clear Dayton area favorite, and we highly encourage a reservation for lunch and dinner.