“Big on price but not on taste”

The Big Chinese Takeaway
Ranked #14 of 35 Restaurants in St Helens
Price range: US$4 - US$15
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Not many options available for dinner in St Helens, so opted for take away instead. This place is not that great. Staff are clearly more interested in making money than helping customers. I ordered the beef with cashew nuts and fried rice and asked for a bit of garlic to be added into the oyster sauce. The person serving me assured that this was possible but it didn't happen. Also it is very wierd that the price for the fried rice changed 3 times as I was ordering, they are happy to charge you as much as they can but do not mention that there are cheaper options.

Our food was made quickly but ended up being absolutely tasteless. Given that I paid $28 for our meal, you'd expect it to be delicious. Sorry but won't return here again.

Tuo L, Owner at The Big Chinese Takeaway, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2018

Sorry about your experience. But there are something we have to explain.
Firstly we love to helping customers. I did put extra garlic into the beef cashew nut, as you said “a bit of”. May be it means “a lot” to me, it is my fault to misunderstanding.
Secondly, the price of rice changed 3 times because you ordered for different things. Regular fried rice, special fried rice and vegetarian fried rice are all different price, and steam rice is the cheapest option. You cannot expect to spend $2 to have a 650ml container of special fried rice with prawns, veggies or meat.
Finally, I am sorry about the less flavour meal. It is true that Some of the meals are less flavour, because not everyone like salty meal or lots soy sauce. We will truely refund if any customer are unhappy with the meal.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

We often get takeaway from here when travelling down from Launceston. Always good service and reasonably priced. Lots of options to choose from. A shame that there is no eftpos but luckily there are a number of ATM's close by.

Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

Bored of eating veggie pizzas we came across this joint on our back from St. Helens to Swansea. We asked for veggie fried rice and some veggie noodles as takeaway. The fried rice was barely eatable as there were no veggies n hardly any taste. The noodles were sweet and I am not sure what kind of Sauce was used in it that we had to throw away the noodles. The prices are comparatively cheap for the food that we had eaten in this part of tassie and the staff was friendly, These are the only good things I have to say about this place though.

Reviewed 11 February 2018

if you need some takeaway at a reasonable price that is tasty and you can get quickly than this is for place for you.

Reviewed 19 January 2018 via mobile

The best Chinese I have ever had. Staff are super friendly and the food is delicious. Definitely recommend for lunch

2  Thank OParker94