“Lovely place and people with decent fresh food.”

Restaurant el Manguito
Ranked #5 of 26 Restaurants in Yelapa
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

When we arrived for dinner, it was on the early side and the place looked deserted. Someone called to us from across the road--are you looking to eat? have drinks? We said yes and he said he'd call the chef. This was the owner and the chef was his wife. (Though someone else came to help out a bit later when others started to arrive.)

It's off the beaten path, but this place has a nice atmosphere and the owner was very interesting--I enjoyed speaking a mix of English and Spanish with him. They've been running this place for a long long time and seem to have a very good attitude about life. But on to the food...

As a vegetarian, my options had been limited in Yelapa, so I thought I could just ask the owner what they could make that was vegetarian. He asked me if I ate cheese and if there was anything else I didn't like. I said yes and no. He said, OK, we'll make you something good. Which they did! It's been a month and I honestly can't remember what it was--something with a tortilla, beans, rice, cheese, and a bunch of vegetables. My wife had a shrimp dish and thought it was good. And we had a couple margaritas which were also very nice.

Just an overall fine place to go if you are either in the neighborhood or feel like a long walk from "downtown".

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

My husband and I were able to arrange for a cooking lesson here and we learned to make Chile relleno, chicken soup, and rice. It was a lot of fun and the food turned out great, with a lot of help from our instructors. Really nice people!

Reviewed 4 March 2018

The restaurant is lovely. the walk to it is very interesting and easy. the owner and chef is
very friendly and nice and speaks good english. i have been to El Manguito several times over the past 5 years and it seems as if the quality of the cooking has lowered a bit. most of my friends had fish and were satisfied with it. i always order the chile rellenos, but it seems that it is not as good as it has been in the past. perhaps just a
lapse that will not be there again. the guacamole is great. EM is definitely worth trying.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

My friend and I stopped for lunch at El Manguito on the way home from the waterfall as no trip to Yelapa is complete without a few meals at this wonderful family run restaurant. As usual the food was delicious and it was nice to chat with the owner, Luis. It’s a beautiful walk upriver to the restaurant which has a full menu of Mexican favourites with a highlight for us being the fresh fish dishes.

Reviewed 29 January 2018

This place is a bit of a walk but definitely worth it. Bring a flash light. There where lots of choices in food. big portions. the food was really good. Not just your typical enchiladas and tacos kind of a place.