“Never return”
Review of Savannah Cafe Bar

Savannah Cafe Bar
Good for: Child-friendly
Description: Cafe by day, Bar by night the perfect place to eat or drink, day or night from your morning coffee and a flick through the papers, a working lunch, to cocktails and a great night out.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

One star too many...
I went to the Savannah tonight with some friend to see a band. The atmosphere in the pub was very tense and it felt like at any minute things would kick off and sure enough it did. Unfortunately we were caught in the middle. Having just bought a round of drinks our table was toppled over, all the drinks were spilled and we were soaked. Once things settled down and the clean up was sorted I went to the bar to ask, quite reasonably I thought, to have our drinks replenished. The bar staff said that only the manager could authorise that. So as that seemed reasonable enough we went and bought another round, thinking that we would be reimbursed once things had settled down. At the stage the manager was busy dealing with the police who were detaining those who had caused the disturbance. The band had also stopped playing as the lead singer had taken a slight injury in the incident. A little while later I spoke to the manager and she told me to go to the bar staff and tell them that she had authorised reimbursement. I did this but once again had no joy. The girl at the bar told me she was serving a customer and asked me to wait. I did and then she served another and another.. after waiting 10 minutes I gave up. Never got reinbursed, had a horrible evening and can safely say will never go back. The manager said this was not a typical evening but made no attempt to make good any of the damage caused. Whilst a reinbursement would be welcome, and an offer to pay my dry cleaning bill would have been appreciated, at the very least I would expect an apology but no such luck. All I can say is only go there if you want an eventful evening... not my idea of a pleasant night out.

Skandia6, Owner at Savannah Cafe Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Marian, we appreciate the time you have taken to write this review. Incidents like this, whilst far and few between, are dealt with very seriously. Those injured and directly affected physically by the incident are prioritised for obvious reasons.
Megan, the manager did authorise the drinks, of course, we aren't wanting to rip anyone off or go home feeling disheartened, however as you mentioned, Megan was busy dealing with the incident and often this can lead to loss of translation when the bar is as busy as it was yesterday evening.
The incident was dealt with swiftly and professionally by our door security meaning, only those involved with the argument were affected and ejected. Obviously along the way, your drinks were spilled and the singers microphone got knocked out the way. Spilled drinks whilst happily sorted, at the time are not a priority, however is something we want to resolve.
I'm disappointed to hear you'd not be willing to return, as aforementioned for us, this is a rare occurrence and one that can't be foreseen. If you'd like we'd like to offer you and a friend a lunch with a bottle of wine on us and of course we will happily offer to pay for the dry cleaning of your outfit of the evening.

If this is something you'd like to accept please reach out to us on 01444 458181 and ask for Megan or Facebook message our Facebook page which can be reached @savannah.bar. Hope to hear from you soon, and again apologies for the incident that has occurred.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Went to Savannah cafe bar, I haven’t laughed so much, friendly staff, especially Megan, joe and Martha, felt very welcome and hospitality was top notch, for a good evening out and friendly staff, I highly recommended it.

1  Thank Mara M
Skandia6, Manager at Savannah Cafe Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2018

Thanks Mara! x

Reviewed 22 February 2018

I had my 50th birthday party here with around 100 guests and had a fantastic evening. As it was a Tuesday night I could have exclusive use of the venue. The staff were so helpful both prior to the event and during the event. They helped me choose a live band, the Bootyshakers, who were amazing, provided music as guests arrived and during the interval, brought around tasty canapés and supplied a superb buffet. Everything went so smoothly and everyone seemed to really enjoy themselves. Would thoroughly recommend as a venue for a function.

Reviewed 24 December 2017 via mobile

Popped in here for lunch and a coffee. Price is sensible for a place that's not a chain. Food looked appetising and tasted great. And being on my own the bar staff even struck up come conversation with me for a little company which is always nice in my opinion. Would return.

1  Thank Nog-and-Bez
Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

Unfortunately, tonight I had a very bad experience in Savannah. I had a work social event and we ended up in Savannah for a drink. I had been drinking Pimms and soda water as I try not to consume too much sugar. I proceeded to get charged £6 for this drink, when I questioned this, the 'manager' said that this was the only option as she could only enter pimms as a cocktail. I asked it if could be entered as an 'open shot' as generally you would not be charged for water and she said she was not able to do this. My colleagues and I were shocked and disappointed by this strange service. Common sense would suggest that £6 for this would be ludicrous.

Josephdonohue, General Manager at Savannah Cafe Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2017

Hi Katie, many thanks for your review, sorry to hear you are disappointed.

If you message us on Facebook I can show you the cocktail list however, the cocktail 'Pimms and Lemonade' which consists of 50ml of Pimms, a dash of lemonade, ice, orange, mint and strawberries comes to the total of £7.50. The manager in question may have bene misinformed but of course there is a way to individually price Pimm's, perhaps miscommunication but being charged £6.00 rather than £7.50 means you have saved £1.50 which is the cost of the lemonade. The rest of the price is the Pimms and the fruit etc etc.
£6.00 is the price we charge and is in line with RRP and our set GP. If you feel this is too expensive The Star sell Pimm's at a cheaper price than us :)