“Makes me proud”

Northumberland Cheese Company
Reviewed 19 February 2018

I've spent years visiting and working in France and whilst I do love their cheeses, I've finally found somewhere to rival them. And I'm so pleased it's on home (Geordie) turf!!!

We arrived as a largeish party of 11 (all ages) and despite it being a public holiday and the place being busy we were well catered for. Whilst our food was being prepared we were able to taste as many locally-produced cheeses as we liked - and we did: all of them delicious. Nothing was troo much trouble, indeed we were encouraged to try more. Of course, purchases were made - all reasonably priced,btw - and we were then able to enjoy our meals (again, all delicious).

The food - as you might expect - is fairly cheese-based, but rest assured that's not all that is on offer. Two of our party opted to share a high tea, which was declared excellent (not often clean plates are made - but they were here).

So I'm delighted to recommend this place - and hope to visit again. In the meantime I will be happy to spread the word about marvellous Northumbrian cheeses!

charliesalesmanager, Director of Sales at Northumberland Cheese Company, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2018

Thank you so much for such a lovely review! You've made us all smile! Please do come and visit us again x

All reviews
"shop"
in 5 reviews
"fab"

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

I have got to start of by saying the cheese soup is really good as it is made with their own homemade cheese. Staff were really friendly and food comes quick.

1  Thank the one and o
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Whilst their website does say the cafe is only accessible by stairs the only option for any one unable to climb the stairs is to sit outside in a rather unattractive farmyard. The shop, also upstairs, is disappointing except for their own range of cheese, but amazingly the lady serving knew absolutely nothing about the cheese on sale! We left disappointed and wished we hadn't bothered to make the detour off the A1. As we didn't eat I can't comment on the food.

charliesalesmanager, Director of Sales at Northumberland Cheese Company, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

HI Geoff. Thank you for your comments. It is difficult to offer much consolation for this one, because this review refers mainly to our circumstances: you simply cannot access our café if stairs are difficult for you. We are very disappointed about this too (this comes up often in reviews and short of moving location, there is nothing that we can do about it, as our building is so old, the stairs would not permit any sort of stair lift). We have been very busy recently, and we have a member of staff missing due to an operation, and due to this, we have had to get a locum waitress to cover shifts. She has had to learn everything very quickly, so I'm really sorry she wasn't able to give you much information. I'm really sad that you found our shop 'disappointing', but please, do tell me your suggestions, because we would love to know what you would've liked to see. We have the courtyard to try our best to accommodate customers unable to climb the stairs: it's not ideal, but it is the best we can do with the space. I have to say that it's the first time someone has called it an 'unattractive farmyard'! We are on the Blagdon Estate, and our premises is on a working farm, so I guess it is an experience... but we normally find that customers love sitting outside? But I understand that choosing to sit outside, and being forced to sit outside are different things. Please accept our apologies for our circumstances.

Reviewed 17 June 2017

Enjoyed a visit here with family in June 2017 - the food on offer was extensive, well priced and tasty. Would recommend a visit if in the area, even for a taste of the specialty cheeses they have on offer. The site itself is quite far off the beaten track but the postcode and a good sat nav will get you there.

charliesalesmanager, Director of Sales at Northumberland Cheese Company, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2017

Thank you so much for your review; you're right, we are off the beaten track, but we like to think we're worth the trip :) Please come and see us again

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 June 2017 via mobile

I bought a cheese making day at the Northumberland Cheese Company's Farm as a Christmas present for the missus. What a fabulous experience we had. Rather than a group visit, this was laid on for just the 2 of us and we were made to feel a part of the team for a day. Martin Atkinson, the Production Manager, had a leisurely chat about the Farm and what it did, and took us on a tour. Craig Smith, one of the 3 Cheesemakers, then spent the rest of the day with us; answering our questions, showing us the process from milk to truckle, and getting us involved in making the cheese. The Company still has a real family feel to it despite being bought out last year. Nothing was too much trouble for the people in the Dairy or in the attached cafe. Lunch, drinks and a tasting session all included in the price. If you like cheese, do this !!

charliesalesmanager, Director of Sales at Northumberland Cheese Company, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2017

Hi Andy, thank you for leaving us such a nice review. We'll be sending you your cheese in 3 months, so we really hope that you enjoy it! Please come and see us again soon.