“Good value, no nonsense lunches”
Review of The Fox Inn

The Fox Inn
Ranked #32 of 169 Restaurants in Tamworth
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We'd driven past this pub a couple of times, so decided to give it a try. We weren't disappointed.

We called on a Thursday lunchtime and so it was fairly empty. There were lots of tables to choose from and all were fairly comfortable for lunch. There was a decent range of beers on hand pump and so we tried those whilst viewing the multitude of menus.

In the end the weekday 2 meals for £12 menu proved impossible to ignore. There's always a chance with such menus that they've cut the meals down, but no such disappointment here. My 3 sausages and mash were great. Indeed, we all enjoyed our meals and there was no lack of quantity. No cordon bleu, but hey, it was Thursday lunchtime and £6 a meal.

Fox Inn H, Manager at The Fox Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2018

Thank you so much for your review we are very pleased you enjoyed your visit to us on Thursday. The meal deal is a great favourite of ours and the portions are a great size as do not differ from the normal menu.

We are soon to be getting a new menu in May so do pop back and try one of our new dishes, soon to be teasers announced on facebook.

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Called in for an early lunch on a Friday, welcomed by a young man and found a table. He offered to bring the drinks over which was nice. The menu was very extensive so it was quite hard to choose. In the end we all 3 settled for the chicken supreme and mini chicken pie. It came served with plenty of veg including tasty red cabbage and dauphinois potatoes. The sauce was delicious too.
It was a good job we arrived early as it quickly became very busy with barely a free table.
Someone had a sharing platter with onion rings and lots of other goodies, looked lovely. I would definitely recommend 5njs place and will return.

Thank you sand3011 for you lovely review I have passed on your comments to russ the young man who served you. He has now been awarded his bronze badge for a mention so thank you.

We are so please that you have enjoyed your visit to us and look forward to serving you again very soon.

Reviewed 8 March 2018

Finding it hard to rate this place as our visit was a real mixed bag of good parts and frankly, some rather poor parts. So here goes! On arrival we found a pub with a good car park, tidy grounds and nice fresh decor. As we walked past the unmanned bar, not sure whether we should just take any table, a chap who I think was the landlord or manager appeared behind the bar, but completely ignored us. It would have been nice for our presence to be acknowledged with a friendly welcome. But never mind we sat ourselves down and perused the menu which had a mixture of old favourites and some more interesting sounding dishes. We weren't sure whether we had to order at the bar, but after about 10 minutes a waitress came and took our food and drinks order. She was very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately a couple of our choices of main course were not available, and there was confusion amongst the staff as to whether there was any of the mushroom starter. First there wasn't, then there was only one portion left, then miraculously there was a new delivery! But portion sizes were generous. Elements of each dish were good, but some were not so good. For instance, the mini chicken crumble on my chicken duo main was tasty, but the chicken supreme was overcooked and hard round the edges. Red cabbage was far too sweet and dauphinoise potatoes just short of burnt, but other veg were very good. Definitely a bit hit and miss!
Starters and mains were delivered in a timely fashion, but then we waited quite a while for our plates to be cleared. Our waitress asked if we wanted desserts, which we declined as we were too full, but before we had a chance to order coffees she was off. In the end we had to go up to the bar and ask for coffees. Shockingly they do not have any decaffeinated coffee, they used to have it evidently but a change from pods to beans was given as the reason it is no longer available. Not good enough I'm afraid, decaffeinated coffee is hardly an odd request!
We had a similar problem attracting anyone's attention to get the bill, and again, had to go to the bar to request it.
All in all, I feel I can only say this was an ok experience. They have some nice sounding dishes on the menu which could elevate it to more than just a pub meal, but they need to sort out supply issues, welcome, keep an eye on diners and attend to them in a timely fashion, and get some decaffeinated coffee!

Fox Inn H, Manager at The Fox Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2018

Good Morning Linda

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. I am going to be looking into this for you and speaking to the staff working the shift assuming it was the day you left the review.

We are undergoing a menu change shortly so some items have been discontinued by our supplier which is out of our control im afraid. We do have a delivery on a Thursday so this may have been arriving on site during your visit meaning the out of stock or low stock items would now be available to you.

Regarding the unmanned bar you may have walked in when the manager on duty was changing an ale or larger barrel of which I apologise you were not greeted immediately but I will be speaking with him as to why you then waited 10 mins at the table as this is not our standards.

We have had a new coffee machine and we do have decaf coffee available so again I will be investigating this, I am very sorry you were told otherwise.

We do hope to see you again soon and you try some of our other dishes on the menu. We currently serve a delicious vegetarian burger which is my favourite item on the menu, I am not a vegetarian but it is simply delicious.

management

Reviewed 23 January 2018

Had a second visit to the Fox Inn and it was just as good as our first visit. I had a lamb shank which was large and tender, it was served with mashed potato, carrots, and broccoli. My husband opted for the fish, chips and mushy peas. It was very tasty and hardly a drop of fat to be seen. My husband followed this with a fruit crumble and custard and i had a cookie explosion (which i must admit was the best pudding ever) I would definitely reccomend this to anyone!!! We then had a tea and coffee which was served with a biscuit on the side. The staff who served us were "very" efficient and we thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. Thank you.

Thank you for such a lovely review we all really do appreciate them.

We hope to see you soon for your third visit to us.

Reviewed 22 December 2017

I organised dinner for 10 people.We pre ordered our meal. On arrival shown to our table .Drinks order taken and served .Our starters were served a decent time elapsed between our courses.The food was beautifully prepared, the service excellent and the staff very pleasant all in all an excellent venue for a girlie get together.

Thank you for your kind review and we hope to see you soon for your girlie get together.