“Going downhill fast”

The Horns
Ranked #49 of 70 Restaurants in Rugeley
Cuisines: Bar, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A Real Village Pub, Fresh Food Available All Day, Real Ale, Fine Wine. We serve Prosecco & English Sparkling Wine by the glass. We're Horse & Dog Friendly with fresh water bowls and dog treats by the fire on the edge of Cannock Chase, Staffordshire.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We went out for lunch as a couple, service was poor, food was nice but took a while to arrive. Some items not available on menu, place was dirty, grubby menus, sticky bar tops and cracked broken and dirty serving platters/plates. We won't return until the reviews on here start to change to become positive again.

3  Thank Caroline F

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Visited the horns yesterday after going a few times in the last couple of years and it being wonderful. Unfortunately this was prior to it being taken over by new management who clearly not only don’t have a clue how to run a pub well, have no people skills either.

We booked on a Saturday teatime for my husbands 30th Birthday. There was a party of 10, we booked a table for 5pm with the plan to keep my 1 year old in routine and be home not much past his bedtime. Ha! If only.

We sat down just after 5pm and our orders were taken promptly. Once several dog eared menus were found from elsewhere.
Most things we ordered wasnt actually available, including some vegetables.
My father in law ordered pork cutlets, to be told 25 mins later that they weren’t available.. maybe they hadn’t defrosted in time! Took them long enough to come and tell us.

I asked for a highchair for my son, which after asking a second time finally arrived.. absolutely filthy with stuck on food from the last occupant! The waiter obviously saw my face and retrieved another,
After waiting for 1 hour for food, I asked a waitress to chase up the child’s meal as by this point it was way past his usual teatime and he was becoming fraught with hunger. Something we tried to avoid by booking the table for 5pm. I was told ‘a couple of minutes’ 15 minutes later it finally arrived. The waitress who brought it over actually stated ‘we always bring the children’s meals out first’ I did have to reply that if waiting an hour was considered first I think we were in for the long haul waiting for our main meals.

Eventually after ordering around 5.20pm , our food arrived at 6.45pm. By this time the atmosphere wasn’t great, the baby was fed up of being in his highchair and we were all starving.

When the food eventually arrived I was presented with the ‘fish platter’ which was no more than a chopping board full off deep fried soggy fish, and a warm prawn cocktail! No scampi was available.. surprise surprise. I refused to eat this and asked for it to be taken off the bill which it was with no drama. The rest of the food was mediocre, not homemade as suggested. Not once did anybody come over to ask if everything was ok. Poor service.

As soon as we had finished eating, we went to the bar and asked for the bill. Whilst waiting for it to be amended asked to speak to the manager. We were totally fed up, it was by no means the nice family birthday meal we had intended.

When the manager finally spoke to us, she, quite frankly was completely unaccountable for the poor service and blamed everybody else. Passing the book is not solving anything! I must be wrong in thinking a good manager takes responsibility for her staff. She didn’t offer to deduct anything from the bill as a token of good gesture, we weren’t getting anywhere.

When we left we noticed another table also complaining about the length of time they had waited for food. We also wished the table who had just ordered next to us good luck!

Needless to say we will NEVER return here unless it’s taken over by somebody who knows what they
are doing. Not a great birthday memory to say the least.

3  Thank vicki2412
Dawn B, General Manager at The Horns, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2018

I did apologise on the day for feeling you had waited a long time, I personally was on a break and left a member of staff in control for a couple of hours, during your stay here I wasn’t even on the premises, I’m not blaming any of my staff for this, I clearly asked what had been the problem as I had just got back and was attacked with abuse by a lady (may have been your mom) and then yourself, I took off the fish platter and I also asked the birthday guy what was his meal as I would take that off, I also apologised to the guy he’s said he was ok and that he enjoyed his meal and was happy paying for it.
I’m sorry you feel the management needs changing but surely I’m allowed a break and be able to put capable staff on that can do there jobs

Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

Have visited this pub numerous times for drinks and food with friends and family and always get a warm welcome from the staff.

Arrived last night quite late and owner was more then happy to serve us food. The food and service was fantastic and well worth the money as all of us were beaten by the size of the potion saying that the food is great quality and it was a shame not being able to finish the food off.

1  Thank Adrian L
Reviewed 19 June 2018

Used to come here years ago. It was really good. What a massive disappointment it is now! Uninterested staff, the place looks scruffy and unkempt. The drinks are overpriced. The food is mediocre and overpriced. Fish & whiteboard cooked to a crisp, beefburger gristly.
Needless to say WE WON'T BE BACK. Be just as well going to a Wetherspoons where you get what you pay for.

2  Thank tenerifelovers
Dawn B, General Manager at The Horns, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Sorry you feel this way, the staff have been here for some time now, with just a couple of young new starters, and they get compliments on the service, the drinks have always been the same sort of pricing as it’s still the same owners, as for looking scruffy a customer knocked the wall over which is in the insurance companies hands, the pub is being tidied and should be sorted soon, sorry the food wasn’t to your taste and that you won’t be returning

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

We booked a table for 10 people for 7:30pm. We had to ask for menus after sitting waiting for almost an hour. Then it was another 30 minutes before they took our order. The food finally arrived at 9:30 and I have got to say was awful. A friends pasta dish was nothing more than spaghetti mixed with tinned tomatoes, no taste at all. Another had the steak and red wine pie which was cold. They forgot the crusty bread which was part of the meal and when it came it was nothing more than normal wholemeal bread. There were far too many large parties there all at the same time. The service was appalling the manager wouldn’t even acknowledge us and sent the bar staff to take the full brunt of our complaint. I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO THIS PUB AGAIN, IT RUINED WHAT WAS A GOOD BIRTHDAY MEAL.

2  Thank Jolie T