“Fun - needs a few tweaks”
Review of Alton Towers

Alton Towers
Book In Advance
More Info
US$56,57*
and up
Alton Towers Resort Admission Ticket with Meal...
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Alton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Escape to the fantabulous world of the Alton Towers Resort - there's so much going on, the fun never stops! England's largest theme park offers 500 acres of attractions and rides the whole family can enjoy including X-Sector, Forbidden Valley, Dark Forest, Gloomy Wood, Katanga Canyon and CBeebies Land!
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The gardens are beautiful, if you’re here take the time to walk through. They’ve just spent £1.9 million renovating the glass houses and they are stunning, they will be getting used for weddings which will be so pretty and an unusual location.
They’re adding rides all the time, the park is clean, staff helpful and pleasant. We bought the refillable cups and these were so worth the money.
I enjoyed the new wicker man ride, the build up before the ride really makes it for me.
The down sides are that they don’t use all of the lanes so it takes twice as long as it has to to get the people on and off. This is obviously to save money.
Food - don’t bother! I had 2 disgusting meals within the park I’d suggest sticking to vegetarian food or chips, the burger was full of jelly gristle and the chicken breast I had for dinner in my Cesar salad was off. If you can, take a packed lunch to save wasting cash on substandard food, I wonder when the last time the health inspector reviewed what they’re serving up.
On the Congo river each one holds 8 people but they were sending them off with 2 people or sometimes single riders, this made the wait unnecessarily long. Every other park I’ve been to puts groups on with other groups to fill the rides. It was 28 degrees and there was no need for the queue to be as long as it was.

1  Thank justgael
AltonTowersCS, Customer Services at Alton Towers, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi justgael,

Thank you for your review.

We are glad to hear that you like the renovations to the Glass houses. We are also very happy to hear that all of our staff were friendly and helpful as we believe this can really help aid you to having a better experience with us. Our Refillable cups are very useful to ensure you stay hydrated especially in the hot weather we've been experiencing.

We will pass on your feedback about how the food left you feeling disappointed. When there is not a long queue for the River Rapids they can send a party of 2 for example round, however when there is long queues they should be filling up the boats and again, we will pass on these comments.

Hope to see you soon.

Alton Towers Resort.

Write a ReviewReviews (14 719)
All reviews
"popular rides"
in 148 reviews

193 - 197 of 14 720 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I visited Alton Towers with my friend on the 28th of June 2018. I believe the day could have gone better if, they hadn’t removed the single riders queue. Since there were only two of us, waiting for rides was a nightmare.

We also went on the Rapids, which is supposed to be 8 people per boat, however the members of staff on duty at the time, thought it was acceptable to only place two people at a time on or even just one. This meant that the queue was constantly building up and was causing frustration among all of us due to the heat.

With it being a hot day, there could have been more water rides to help individuals cool down. In addition to that, it was even more of a struggle in the heat since the SkyRide was closed which meant we had to walk everywhere which meant getting to rides quickly, harder.

The new Wiker Man ride was not as enjoyable as I spend half of the time being flung to the sides. I was also VERY disappointed with the Galactica ride as, the VR headset would not stay on and the VR video was disappointing.

Overall, I did enjoy the day there were just certain parts which let it down.

Hi hermi0ne06,

We are really sorry to hear that when you came to our Resort that you left feeling disappointed.

We decided to remove the Single Rider Queue at the end of last Season due to the line getting abused by guests. It was not an easy decision but we appreciate your comments and will take them on board when this is reviewed again.

The Sky Ride does close when the temperature gets too warm, as they are mainly made our of glass it can get uncomfortably warm inside. We appreciate that this is frustrating, but due to health and safety for our guests we have to close the gondolas in these conditions.

We will of course, pass on your comments about having more water rides and that Galactica was not working to its best ability.

We hope this does not deter you from coming back to our Resort.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Visited with our grandchildren aged 5 and 2. The CBeebies hotel was excellent. ..everything was very relaxed and well run. The staff are what makes this place they are a credit to the hotel and should be very proud of the service they provide. Rooms are comfortable and the kids loved the touches it had all aimed at them. Entertainment and restaurant were very good and we all loved it. Its only a 2 minutes minute walk to the monorail to the main gate and you get express parking for leaving at maingate area. Early entry to the park was great got on all the rides with no queues or just st 5 minutes wait. If staying at the hotel do remember to book breakfast/evening meal in advance as gets busy....we will be back ! Loved it !!

2  Thank Liz N

Hi Liz N,

Thank you for your review.

We are so happy to hear that you and your grandchildren had an amazing stay with us at our hotel! We are also glad to hear that you love your time at our Theme Park too.

We can't wait for you and your family to come back to our Resort and hopefully make even more magical memories!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I've tried three times to leave a review. I visited on Monday 25th of June. The ride breakdowns were horrendous. By 4pm we had only been on Wickerman. Which is a fantastic ride I will admit. I was at guest services in tears. After leaving home at 7am in the morning I really didn't expect for our day out to be ruined. We were dehydrated, tired after traipsing the length of the park to be turned away from yet another broken ride.

We paid for the refill soft drink option so we made sure we got our moneys worth. But unfortunately in the heat that left us incredibly dehydrated I was dizzy by the end of the day due to all of the queuing. I know you do slushies so why not have that as a refill option? Also please look at an alternative option for people getting around the park. The skyride was closed its a long way for people to walk. The only food option on the website is fast food not really my cup of tea at all. I have seen that some of your other theme parks offer an all inclusive deal with food and drink options included why this isn't across the board I don't know. As a flag ship theme park I was not impressed. Our day out was totally ruined. I really hope you sort the coaster issues out especially wicker man I understand new coasters have issues but frankly when is enough enough?

5  Thank Anne-marie C

Hi Anne-marie C,

Thank you for your review.

We are very sorry to hear that your time at our Park was not as you expected and that you were disappointed by the queues and refilling drinks. We will however pass on your comments about the refillable Slushie drinks as we believe this would be a good idea too!

When the it gets too hot and as the gondolas are partially made our of glass it means that it can get uncomfortably hot inside, which is why we close the Sky Ride. We understated this is not ideal and will pass your comments along.

We hope this does not deter you from coming back to our Theme Park.