“Birthday weekend getaway”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

Found this little gem at last minute, for birthday bank holiday weekend and we weren't disappointed! Great spacious room, lovely stylish newly renovated building, beautifully maintained garden and on site bar!
Food was delicious. Ideally located for a weekend to Wales or if you wish to make a stop over further into Devon and Cornwall.
Because it's a listed building I believe I would chose a room with garden view, as window not totally sounds proof but it was overall pretty quiet to be fair!
Thanks for lovely welcome

Reviewed 26 August 2018

Rarely do I give five but this last last week I have done it twice and this is the second. Once again it was a treat night to thank my daughter and her family for hosting us at their new house in this charming little village.
The Hood (yes the HMS one is acknowledged) is a rambling 17th century former coach house that has letting rooms (what a nice idea). The new proprietors have been in for about 14 months and enthusiastic about food they have found a good place to exercise their talents.
Once again it avoids being a twitchy gastro pub while delivering top class food. Good provenance, imaginative menus and attention to detail meant that six starters and six mains arrive impeccably prepared. OK one order got a bit tangled but the breach was mended with skill and charm. The resultant requested plaice fillets were perfectly cooked and only three minutes late. Getting it right after getting it wrong is a key to a good restaurant. Thus they get their 5 stars.
Always accused of being too long (TX; U know who u r) I will just say that my West Bay scallops were utterly brilliant. I tasted the plaice which came with celeriac (the beast was a feature throughout but used with intelligence), my fish was superb, the prawny chilli thing was voted excellent and ditto the rib eye. I'll stop - it all got the thumbs up.
Wine list is maybe a little limited but well chosen and priced so we quaffed happily.
So if you are on the A39 in the right place and right time STOP. You will not be disappointed. And if you have an evening to spare than call ahead and book a room - the beers are excellent and the back of bar looked like serious opportunities for a hangover.

Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

On leaving our holiday camping site in Somerset the road was busy heading to the M5 and the Bridgwater junctions. So we stopped at an unassuming village that the A39 splits in two, Kilve.

The pub there is the Hood Arms.

What a wonderful transformation from the last time I was here about 20 years ago. The recent refit and the new menu is superb.

The welcome was warm and friendly and we were given a table as soon as our drinks order at the bar was completed. Paul the owner saw us to our table and talked us through the menu and the specials.

The starter came quickly I had the pan fried scallops with a celeriac and vanilla puree on a piece of crispy bacon. They were cooked perfectly with a nice golden outer and a delicately flavoured centre and roe.

The pan fried fillets of Plaice were swift to follow the starter. Wonderfully presented and superbly cooked. The buttered samphire and fennel fish velorte finished it off with a nice crunch and delicate fennel flavour.

For the quality of the food and the atmosphere and service it's priced well too.

We will be back even if it is a bit off the beaten track as it's worth the effort.

See you again soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2018 via mobile

We were very impressed by the brilliant atmosphere, very friendly staff and first class food. We would highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 6 August 2018

We enjoyed a family meal here for 6 of us to celebrate two birthdays! The staff were very friendly and welcoming, particularly with our two young children. The food was fantastic, enjoyed by all and we will definitely return the next time we visit Kilve.