All reviews small hotel fresh fruit biscuits venison real ale hotel restaurant public car park street parking lasagna comfortable beds kippers an evening meal attention to detail stayed one night town walls twin room warm welcome
Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

We were looking for somewhere to eat that we could walk to from our holiday cottage. Just five minutes away we found the Queen's Head Hotel and took a chance. What a happy surprise! We were welcomed warmly and a table was found on a busy Saturday evening. The menu was varied with specials at the weekend, but not too big and the food was freshly cooked and delicious. We would recommend all the fish dishes including the shellfish. Over our two week stay we went seven times it was so good. The staff were very friendly and attentive without being intrusive. On the last evening a balloon was tied to some sweets on our table saying 'you will be missed'! It was one of the highlights of our holiday. I cannot recommend this Hotel highly enough.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
garrygreenaway, Owner at Queens Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2017

Many thanks for your kind words & can now certainly put a face to the reviewer. I am very appreciative of you all returning on numerous occasions whilst residing in the area. All I can say is you were gluten's for punishment!! lol.
On a serious note though it certainly makes our job easier when you have confidence in a product & then customers who are complimentary whilst serving them. I can appreciate it's a competitive market out there. People's first & last impression's are an important factor & the small personal attention to detail I sometimes think set's us apart from our competitor's.
We sincerely hope to see you all in the future if you decide to return to the surrounding area.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

I had a very tasty lunch
Saw billboard in town extolling the virtues of lunch menu , noticed it had a vegan option on dinner menu,
I was standing at the bar when a male appeared behind me asking if he could help , I wouldnt say I stammered but I struggled to to begin my answer, his response was to impatiently roll his eyes , I had asked if there was a vegan option for lunch a curt 'no ' was the response . I had noticed there was a vegetarian cottage pie , I selected a table the male informed the helpful waitress 'she wants cottage pie' , I asked to see a menu , the cottage pie ingredients stated made with puy lentils , they were green lentils .
Anyone with a stammer take a fluent speaker !!!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo

Many thanks for your constructive review Glynis & please accept my apologies if I came across rude & curt, that was certainly not my intention. I agree with your comments on your initial question with regards to any vegan dishes which I then mentioned there was a vegetarian dish available, which you ordered with me standing at the bar, which although not one to contradict your review I then mentioned this to the designated person taking the orders but I would never say 'she wants' I have been in the profession long enough to not be as dismissive as that. Slightly confused after your order was placed with me, you then mentioned you sat at a table & asked to look at the menu?? I did on 2 occasions whilst you were dining do courtesy checks for top up drinks & food but with received very little response, so although I tried to be offer a service I can only assume your first impression of me to you was not to the standard you expected. Again I can only apologise & the one positive aspect was that you enjoyed you vegetarian cottage pie.

Reviewed 16 September 2017

We chose to visit Berwick because of its location and facilities and we were really pleased we had. Garry and Joanne the owners of the Queens Head have got it spot on. There are only 6 bedrooms in this old building which is a bit up and down but the rooms have really comfortable beds, top class sheets and towels and apart from the usual coffee and tea making kit there is fresh fruit and this is unknown other than in very expensive hotels. The rooms vary in size but not in quality.
The restaurant is always full. All the food was good. Inevitably some dishes please more than others. I caught a small sea trout which was poached brilliantly for us for dinner and Garry ordered in grouse which were cooked to perfection. We eat a lot of game and I wish I could do grouse as well as that. The staff were superb from Christine in the bar and Heather her mum who cooked breakfast on the last day to the really nice German lady ( sorry I didn't get your name ) who mended the shower despite being a waitress!! Garry and Joanne were always in evidence and lead from the front.
A real gem. We shall be back.

Room Tip: Room 1 is a nice twin, 6 a nice double. We had 5 which has very small bathroom but an extra bed.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
garrygreenaway, Owner at Queens Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2017

A massive thanks Suffolklawyer for your complimentary words & it's great to know everything exceeded expectations. In truth we do not try to be pretentious or something that we are not, what we do provide is accommodating personal service on all aspects of the trade.
We aim to use fresh local seasonal produce hence you both devouring some grouse & again with regards to you mentioning some fish you caught for us to prepare that evening.
There is always slight issues when running a business & in truth it is how you deal with it which I guess customers appreciate.
Let's hope you decide to return next year & again we hope to continue the same service you received this year. Appreciate your comments

Reviewed 14 September 2017

We stayed at The Queens Head Hotel for 5 nights, and wish we had stayed for longer! Our room ( Number 3) was very spacious and comfortable, bathroom modern and super shower. Our room and all of the hotel was spotless and the staff were all very friendly and very helpful. Could not fault the breakfast, plenty of choice and delicious. We had 3 evening meals at the hotel and the food was excellent. The location is ideal, in the middle of town with free parking on The Quay a few strides away. Joanne and Gary work extremely hard to keep up the standards of the hotel and it really did show! We will certainly return next year and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Very kind words indeed MGA. Not sure we deserve that, as we are just providing all aspects of the trade that the general public expect these days.
In truth though thanks, thankfully being here 17 years we still continue to be pro-active in the trade & have great staff with some being here as long as us!!So customers get to know faces as lots of our business is repeat, recommendations & referrals.
As owner you have to lead from the front as how can you expect your staff to have standards if you do not?? This is a hard industry to be in & thankfully after all these years were still enjoying it.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Menu looks great, quality of fish dishes poor lemon sole and Sea Trout overcooked, portion sizes for starters large,main course small portions . Nice ambience inside restaurant. Expensive and really not good value ,cheapest item on menu Lasagne at £ 12

Stayed: July 2017
2  Thank PrestonpansEast

Many thanks for your constructive review & please accept our apologies if you left our premises disappointed. Our aim is always to ensure customers leave happy & content or alternatively with always always doing courtesy check's on the meal if a dish is not to your standard we hole to rectify the problem.
I accept we are only humans & we do make mistakes but please I would rather customers tell us that their dish is not to their standard rather than saying nothing then writing a report on a social media site.
With regards to pricing in this day transparency is everything with this our web-site clearly let's potential customers know our prices as well as the blackboard displays outside.
Again our apologies & hopefully if you return in the future you may leave happy & content.