“Pub meal with a difference”
Review of The Game Cock Inn

The Game Cock Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Austwick
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Welcome to The Game Cock Inn a Traditional Yorkshire Dales pub, restaurant and B&B with a cosy bar, real fire, award winning restaurant, delicious food with a French twist and comfortable, quality accommodation.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Having booked a table for 8pm I was glad I'd taken that precaution as The Game Cock was full of happy diners when I arrived. My waiter was Quentin, who proved to be superb at his job and also a friendly young man who helped me choose my meal.

I am not a fan of burgers but he assured me that I'd be pleasantly surprised, so in for a penny, in for a pound. The French onion soup was magnificent and beautifully presented and the burger was huge and came with wonderful chips and an assortment of pretty accompaniments. In fact it was more than I could eat but that could be because I'd spent most of the day in my car - and it was a very hot day.

I very much enjoyed my evening. My table looked over the little village so I had plenty to look at. The Thwaites Wainwright bitter was delicious. Quentin's attentiveness helped make my experience happy and memorable.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 290)

120 - 124 of 1 290 reviews

Reviewed 27 June 2018

Stayed for one night as part of a 4 day cycling tour. Secure storage was found for our Tandem. The newly refurbished room was clean, spacious & very comfortable despite the high temperatures we experienced in June 2018. The staff were very friendly, the food was of an exceptional high standard with a varied choice. The only downside was that the WiFi didn’t work but this was not a problem.

1  Thank Jeanette W
Reviewed 26 June 2018

Called in her for quick drink after a hike with my hiking club. Quick drink being a joke as it took a while for us to get served. One girl serving, 2 others standing doing nothing. When one of the others finally decided to help serve, it was more of a hindrance as he had no idea what he was doing and just got in her way. Went back in for a 2nd soft drink, was ignored initially by all 3 of them behind the bar. Eventually got the drink, but no ice, he then started taking food orders from a couple who had just come in. Eventually what I assume was a manager asked why i was at the bar, it was only when I pointed out that I was trying to pay, did he nudge the barman who took my money, put it in the till and shut it. When I then asked for my change, he had to faff about trying to open the till. I ended up tipping the drink into my water bottle and taking it with me as we'd run out of time by then.

1  Thank Adele S
Reviewed 25 June 2018

Delighted to eat at an establishment where obvious care and passion goes into every aspect of the meals served. The staff were without exception brilliant and engaging. The the room we stayed in overnight was spotlessly clean, super comfortable, lovely homemade biscuits and fresh milk on arrival.

We were recommended the Game Cock and so glad we were. We will certainly return.

We wish them all at the Game Cock Bon Chance.

Reviewed 23 June 2018

For a small village this is a great little find. The menu provided many options including gluten free. We ate here twice in a 3 day stay and was pleased with both dining experiences. The Wednesday French night was really good too. Food was prepared and presented beautifully. Our waiter, Quintin was excellent.