“ONLY visited this on the internet !”
Review of Farm Shop at the Grange - CLOSED

Farm Shop at the Grange
More attraction details
Owner description: Farm Shop At The Grange showcases some of the best local produce Leicestershire and our neighbouring counties have to offer. Our wide range includes Brockleby’s Pies and Melton Mowbray Pork Pies, Stilton cheese, fresh bread, Ice Cream, Beers and Ales and many many more.
Reviewed 25 May 2018

Strange to be asked to review this farm shop as I only visited on the internet as I thought I had friends who run it... It looks nice !

Date of experience: May 2018

Reviewed 11 March 2018

I've just returned home from the Grange absolutely furious with the attitude demonstrated by some of the staff and the appalling service they appear to think is acceptable. It's not the first time I've been here, in the past it's provided a pleasant venue for a light lunch or coffee stop but never again!

First of all, though, some positives; the restaurant/cafe is part of a garden centre and decorated as an Alpine-style mountain restaurant. It's really well done, as well, with an open fireplace, traditional farm implements and ski posters decorating the walls and rustic wooden furniture. The young girls serving are usually friendly and welcoming and willing to go out of their way to ensure you enjoy your visit. The bar is well-stocked and parking is excellent.

Today, however, I was taken aback by the amateurish delivery of what should have been a pleasant, Mother's Day lunch. We arrived early at 11.30, having other appointments during the afternoon and were shown to our table. Having been presented with a "special" menu for today only, we were told that service from this menu would only start at 12.00; in the meantime, various breakfast- and morning coffee-related orders were still coming out of the kitchen. Drinks were served appropriately and orders taken for food. So far, so good.

The first course took a fair while to arrive but we'd been told about the 12.00 start to service and we were taking anyway. We had a range of starters, all of which were unadventurous but well-executed (breaded brie, tomato & pepper soup and prawn cocktail, basic pub grub but tasty as they should be).

We then waited for around 40 minutes for our main courses. During this time, no one approached the table to explain the delay, apologise for our wait or offer an estimate of how long our wait would be. Eventually, and with the clock approaching 1.00, I asked about the delay, to be told by the blank-expressioned manager that we were in the correct place in the queue and that our order would be served next-but one. People who arrived after us were already finishing their meals and we were still waiting, and this for a simple roast lunch, for heaven's sake! At my suggestion that our wait had already been long enough, the vanilla-flavoured one assured me that our meals were being served "at the correct time" and opined that a more-than-40-minute wait between courses was quite acceptable. She also offered the additional information that all meals were "cooked to order" and, when I pointed out the apparent improbability that a roast meal would be so, she mumbled something about "fresh vegetables and roast potatoes being prepared for all customers". (When the food finally arrived, it failed to live up to this introduction in any respect!)

At this point, my patience was exhausted and I refused to accept my meal as my appetite had vanished. (OK, a bit "teddy bear out of the pram" but I do object to being taken for a ride.) What arrived for my fellow guests was an acceptable but unremarkable Sunday roast which they all had to wolf down to finish in time for our next appointment. Also, the allegedly inflexible "special menu for the day" was cast under much suspicion by the appearance at regular intervals of burgers, sausages and chips, none of which appeared on the menu at our table.

So, won't be back. Ever. There are so many lovely, traditional pubs in this area who offer good food and drink (and service!), I see no reason to risk another waste of time like today.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

The service is extremely slow and the staff are very rude. The garden centre is a lovely little shop but overpriced. I Wouldn't recommend the restaurant

Date of experience: December 2017
Reviewed 12 October 2017

This place is attached to the garden Centre and has a French ski theme. Locally sourced sausages and bacon make the full English a tasty experience.
It is superb for lunch as well as breakfast and has a moth watering display of home made cakes and scones. The scones are as big as boulders and are delicious! Take your dogs in as well. very friendly place.

Date of experience: October 2017