“Room for improvement”
Review of The Avenue

The Avenue
Ranked #4 of 6 Restaurants in Langho
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

We live on the village so we were really pleased when this place opened in the summer. We spent a lot of time drinking and eating here when it first opened. There were a few minor teething problems which is expected initially, but overall we came probably once a week and sampled food/wine/cocktails and it was always very enjoyable. Once the initial curiosity phase passed, I would say that the trade has definitely died off considerably.

We walked down mid week to have a meal and a couple of glasses of wine. A little irritated to say the least to be drawn in to ordering a £10 round of drinks (a glass of wine and a lager) to then be informed that over half the good menu was unfortunately unavailable. The food menu has changed several times since this place opened and at present it's very limited but in the same token a good menu. We were informed that there was none of the following dishes available to eat: cottage pie, sea bass, sausage and mash; chicken. In reality this leaves extremely limited choice - a steak (expensive!) or burger/pie. Not really good enough!! How can a place expect to attract valued custom when half their menu is "unavailable"? We naturally left and walked to the nearest place to eat. The staff were very pleasant and it was hardly their fault that the menu was so limited, however good management would surely train their staff to inform customers of such a menu shortage before they sit comfortably and order wine.

The establishment is beautifully and immaculately presented & the staff are obliging and pleasant. Just very unsure what target market this place is trying to attract? It's tends to ooze upper market and has a cocktail menu, plays trendy background music but then on the flip side has football on a tv in the corner. Each and every time we come in, the place is pretty dead, apart from residents of the hotel. Just not overly sure about it all. I do however wish the management well, as I imagine a lot of hard work and effort has gone into opening the venue for local residents. I just fear this place will not survive long term. I really and truly hope I am proved wrong as we had some fun nights here in the summer weeks. I have tried to be very balanced and honest with my review.

2  Thank Sarah H
Write a reviewReviews (35)