“Oh dear ”

Ranked #13 of 30 Restaurants in Garstang
Price range: US$1 - US$18
Cuisines: Grill
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Dating back as early as 1710, The Tithe Barn is a charming and characterful inn situated in the bustling market town of Garstang, adjacent to the River Wyre. Originally a post medieval tithe barn for storing grain and corn, the pub today offers a large range of high quality dishes alongside extensive portfolio of cask conditioned ales, fine wines, spirits and continental bottled beers. Our Head Chef and his team at the Tithe Barn have carefully sourced the best of this season's produce to ensure everything on our menu is grown, reared, caught, picked or churned by one of our local food suppliers within a twenty mile radius. We have sourced quality, fresh ingredients from the best local producers to lovingly create these dishes for you. So relax, make your choice and enjoy!
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We are coming to the end of a trip around the lakes and north. My wife had been recommended a visit here for a good meal. So tonight we tried it, how disappointed we were. I began by ordering the drinks due to the weather then placed our food order only to be given a list of four items no longer available, this despite me having the menu in my hand . Ended up ordering Cod and chips with mushy peas, within a short space of time they arrived but the standard of the fish and the chips was disappointing.
I was going to tell the staff when they normally come to ask how things are but no one came.
It’s poor customer service, as we are visiting and highly unlikely to be returning We just left without chasing it up. Below average.

1  Thank steven d
MitchellsofLanc, Manager at Th'owd Tithe Barn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2018

Hello steven d
We're sorry we weren't able to rectify matters for you before you left and hope you do choose to visit us again next time you're passing?

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Lovely little canal side pub Good food ..good service.. good beers You can take a stroll along the canal side to walk it off

Hi paul richard j
Thanks for the super review! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

I ordered Chicken and Leek pie with mash and veg, what came was an oblong piece of pastry that looked and had the texture of cardboard, over a blob of sauce that contained no chicken or leeks, the mash was dried up. I complained and was offered a replacement meal, this time I ordered gammon eggs and chips, (what could go wrong with gammon eggs and chips?)

When it came the eggs were underdone and also the gammon was pink and undercooked, it must have been done for all of one minute a side: you can cook steak like this but not gammon.

I had already had some of it from the edge which tasted ok, but in the middle it was pink and fleshy. I complained again and was offered my money back and a free glass of wine. I went home and was up vomiting in the night.

Do not eat at this place, mine isn’t the first bad review I notice!

1  Thank Frances M

Hello Frances M
We are sorry a replacement meal, a refund and a free glass of wine didn't satisfy you. Thanks for taking the time to review.

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

We decided to give this place another try again after not being in for a long time. We dined here 2 weeks ago on a Friday evening. I ordered the regular fish and chips, my mum in law got the small steak and ale pie and hubby and father in law got two other regular sized dishes. Our food came out and my fish was quite obviously a small not regular as ordered and paid for. I questioned this to the staff and assistant manager and when they eventually came out I was told no it's the size of the fish that's been delivered. I then sat down to start eating my now cold meal, then to see another member of staff serve a regular sized fish to the table opposite. I then spoke to the assistant manager who then proceeded to apologise and asked did I want a refund. I then discovered that Gary the manager was in the kitchen that evening. Quite clearly he tried to just pass my complaint off and to not be bothered to actually rectify the issue. He got his assistant manager to come out and lie for him who had already been shouted at by another customer as most likely due to Gary. The easier and right way would have been to just add more to my small meal and apologise. I felt sorry for her. I would certainly not be taking the brunt of complaints when the Manager hasn't got the back bone, manners or respect for the customers or his staff.

2  Thank Franimal79
MitchellsofLanc, Manager at Th'owd Tithe Barn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Hello Franimal79
We are sorry for the confusion regarding your order and sorry that an apology at the time and the offer of a refund didn't resolve matters for you.

Reviewed 18 June 2018

Nice food and staff, not a lot of vegan options but the falafel sandwich was tasty. Lovely location overlooking marina.

Hi jen m
Thanks for the review - we are constantly reviewing our menus and will look again at vegan options - keep an eye on the specials boards next time you're in - quite often vegan and vegetarian choices are featured there. Hope to see you again soon!