“Great ambiance”
Review of Inn at Whitewell

Inn at Whitewell
Ranked #12 of 141 Restaurants in Clitheroe
Price range: US$80 - US$80
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 9 October 2021

Great service, lovely food, fantastic setting. All 10 of us had wonderful meals and were looked after very well by the staff.

1  Thank Nellymacrae
hotelierLancashire, Owner at Inn at Whitewell, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2021

Thank you very much for your thoughts, glad you had a good time with us and hope we see you again before too long. Regards Cb

Write a reviewReviews (723)

Reviewed 28 September 2021

We were just driving past on our way to Clitheroe and recognised the place from the BBC programme 'The Trip', so we decided to call in for Sunday lunch. Fail! We were just 10 minutes too late - there were profuse apologies but we were turned away. After that it became an obsession to eat there, and finally we did.

WHAT a treat! Never had a better Sunday roast: cooked to perfection, served in a beautiful setting and with polite and professional waiting staff. Definitely a permanent fixture in our culinary calendar, we've been several times now and will continue to do so.

Date of visit: August 2021
hotelierLancashire, Owner at Inn at Whitewell, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2021

Thank you very much for the thoughts, so pleased you had a good time with us. The Trip was a lot of fun and we still see quite a few of those involved. Thank you again. Regards Cb

Reviewed 6 September 2021

This is a beautiful venue, and we enjoyed the food very much. Staff were friendly and polite. However after our main course we sat and waited for close on 30 minutes and nobody came back to check if we would like more drinks, dessert or coffee. We felt like we had been forgotten! Paid the bill and left. It spoilt the occasion a little.

Date of visit: September 2021
hotelierLancashire, Owner at Inn at Whitewell, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2021

Thank you for your review and I'm so sorry we deserted you toward the end of your meal, very much struggling with enough staff, things improving by the day, hope we haven't put you off. Regards Cb

Reviewed 24 August 2021

Heard such good things about The Inn at Whitewell and as my partner had recently recieved a huge promotion at work we decided it would be perfect to try it out on the Sunday.

We are both training for Ironman so got there early and cycled a loop including an amazing cycle through the Forrest of Boland, highly recommend cycling this area if you're a keen cyclist like us.

We tried to order beef for main, essentially the Sunday dinner option, they had ran out of beef already, it was only 1330, bad planning by all accounts but none the less these things happen.

The next thing that we found to be poor was the place matt's being plonked in the middle of the table and the cutlery piled on top leaving us to set our own table, I have no real issue with this in a greasy spoon or low end dining place but this isn't presenting itself as either of those things, and if it was we wouldn't have been there for a special occasion.

The starters were great although served incredibly quickly, it almost felt like they needed to give our table to somebody else.

Shortly after the starters the mains arrived, again fairly speedily but not a major issue. My girlfriend had ordered the fish pie, it was OK. I had ordered the Duck, when it came it was overcooked for my preference and as nobody had actually enquired as to how I would like it cooking I assumed it would come pink, it didn't, and so I sent it back to the kitchen. HERE LAY THE PROBLEM. What I assume was the matrodey that day came back to the table and said:

Staff member -  "Did you return the duck"

Me - "Yes it was overcooked"

Staff member - "No it wasn't it was served pink"

Me -  "Are you telling me I'm wrong?"

Staff member - "No I'm telling you it was served pink"

Me - "So you are telling me I'm wrong then"

To clarify it categorically was not pink but cut to the chase the outcome of this interaction is that I then had to make a third choice as the beef had run out; they didn't want to serve the duck to my preference and so I ended up choosing sea bass which was actually quite nice. I pointed out when eating it that my girlfriend had to eat her dish alone and then I ate mine alone which in itself is not great and pretty much spoilt the entire experience.

They did make a token gesture to offer us some free desserts which we accepted and were quite good but the sour taste had already been left at this point and no amount of dessert was going to sweeten it.

I would like to think in a different set of circumstance these guys would impress but sadly this time it was a complete failure.

2  Thank Foodthoughtz

Thank you for this review, the mats and irons are brought to your table and left to minimise interaction with waiting staff, sort of sensible covid protocols but not very elegant, you are right. Unusual that we have duck sent back for being over cooked but you'll know what you like, our team felt any less cooking wasn't ideal. Regards Cb

Reviewed 3 August 2021

Had what was supposed to be Haddock here today. I have eaten more haddock
in many locations in the uk. Restaurants and chippies and that piece of fish i had
today was completely bland , The mushy peas were like bullets but the chips were
ok.
Used to come here a lot pre covid but at £15:50 for what i had today you are having
a laugh.
Will DEFINITELY not be returning here.Alo £17;50 for a cheese pie. Come on joke over.

Date of visit: August 2021
hotelierLancashire, Owner at Inn at Whitewell, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2021

Sorry to have incurred your wrath, we simply try to provide a happy place to enjoy food, wine and good company. Regards Cb