“Small, confusing, but with some beautiful animals”

Rare Species Conservation Centre
Reviewed 24 August 2015

This is an interesting place to visit with some beautiful animals. It's probably best the think of the place as a charity which you can visit the workings of, rather than a traditional zoo.

The site is clearly a work in progress with new areas under construction. It's pretty small and somewhat cramped but is nicely kept.
The enclosures are not huge but I imagine they're big enough for the animals. There's plenty of information posted on each animal.

It's definitely worth going around the areas twice to check on enclosures that seemed empty first time around as animals that were hidden first time around can be out in the open half an hour later.

The site is small but when we were there every visitor we passed was wandering around effectively lost - unsure whether there was more to see in a particular area or whether there was another section to visit or not. A photocopied map would be extremely welcome and would cost the owners practically nothing to produce.

Reviewed 23 August 2015 via mobile

My family and I visited the centre after seeing a road sign for it,but as we were paying to go in the lady told us they were having to close within a week because of lack of funding!!! After looking at the animals and reading the conservation notes we were totally gutted for them,all the new areas they were building looked amazing and they deserved so much more.the animals are so well looked after.the otters were so cute as were the sun bears.please go and visit it if you have a spare couple of hours,a great attraction that shouldn't be closing

2  Thank TBoyt71
Reviewed 22 August 2015

We visited on a rainy week day in the school holidays. It is expensive (£15 for an adult. £12 for a child) but I accept that a percentage of that money is going towards conservation work. We spent an hour or so seeing the animals, with my son enjoying seeing the bears feed. The walkways and landscaping are clean and well maintained. The animals looked calm and happy. There is a lot of work going on, but it didn't hinder our visit and it was exciting to think it will be getting bigger in the future. I was a bit disappointed that we couldn't stay for lunch as the restaurant serves a very limited type of food, none of which was suitable for my son. All in all we were pleased with the amount of animals we got to see and the staff were friendly and knowledgeable.

Reviewed 12 August 2015

Not at all what I expected this small centre allowed you to get close to the animals and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Once it gets well known it may get to busy but at the moment we were given talks by the staff in small groups, shown the animals up close and able to stroll about unhindered by groups of people. A real delight.

2  Thank Ian A