“Wonderful”
Review of Rose and Crown

Rose and Crown
Reserve with OpenTable
Rose and Crown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Pluckley
Price range: US$9 - US$33
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Rose and Crown at Mundy Bois is your quintessential County pub in the middle of an idyllic part of Kent. The 17th Century building has seen some comings and goings over the years but is now in the safe hands of Dermot and Lisa Nally since November 2013. The promise is to deliver a warm and friendly welcome to all our visitors and hope that they can relax and enjoy the experience. Head Chef Tony Lemaitre has over 30 years' experience in the kitchen sharpening his skills in the Hotels and restaurants of Paris before bringing all his spirit and Joie de vivre to the pubs and restaurants of Kent. Tony is supported by his sous chef Robert Clark whose work and training under Tony has created one of the finest long talents in the area. Front of House we have Alex Ralph who has been working in pubs all his career and defines everything that is great and good In the hospitality industry. The Rose and Crown is building the bonds between the good old fashion pubs atmospheres aligned to a first class restaurant serving locally sourced produce while understanding, we are at the end of the day, just a pub serving the local community.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We booked late on the Bank Holiday for lunch and bagged the last table remaining they are so popular! Wonderful atmosphere in the pub with locals all enjoying the fine beers and wine with good and fun banter! The food was exceptional and nothing too much trouble. I had the roast beef which was amongst the best that they come! Would highly recommend this truly exceptional country pub! Wonderful and friendly staff who really do care for their customers! Great job!

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Came across this little gem on way home from outlet shopping a few months ago, was so impressed we booked for Easter Sunday.....by far the best roast we have eaten out, just like a home cooked one, potatoes and Yorkshire puds are amazing....the service matches the food quality, all staff are exceptional, nothing is to much ....,will be back in summer to experience the garden and have already put our names down for Christmas , thank you to all who were in today your customer service was above and beyond and I shall be recommending to everyone!

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

The food here is excellent, and staff make you feel very welcome .

Highly recommend a visit you won't be disappointed

Reviewed 16 March 2018

Went here for an impromptu pub lunch. Wonderful homemade beef pie with extra gravy plenty of veg and mashed potato (we both had the same). Didn't fancy any of the desserts but not an issue as the portions were very generous.

Managers and staff very welcoming. Pub had a lovely open real fire.

Will definitely go back.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

My wife and I visited Sunday and we chose the two course Mothering Sunday menu for £19.99 per person.

Not unsurprisingly being Mothering Sunday, the restaurant was very busy (we had booked in advance) We were initially offered a two-seater table, which would have been very close to other tables and was in quite a cramped corner of the main restaurant area. I think the waitress/landlady could see my wife’s disappointment at this, so immediately offered us an alternative table more towards the reception area where it wasn't so crowded, which we accepted. The waitress gave us menus and took our drinks order, which arrived quickly. Whilst we were deciding what to order the landlord came over and apologised for the original table we had been offered, and as he felt the table we were now occupying wasn't maybe as nice as being in the restaurant he said the drinks were on him for the inconvenience. This was a lovely gesture, as we really weren't put out at all and we hadn't complained. I have been involved in dealing with members of the public all my life and it is a compliment to this gentleman that he felt it was an issue and decided to deal with a perceived problem before it had even arisen. A lot of people in retail management can learn a lot from this.

We decided to have a main course and a dessert. We both ordered the roast beef, and surprisingly (and very pleasingly) we were asked how we would like our beef done (this is not normally an option in most places) I had medium and the wife well done. Both meals arrived perfectly cooked, with all the trimmings, a side dish of green beans and carrots to share and a pot of gravy on each plate. We both said how lovely it was, however it wasn't presented as hot as it could have been, which found us rushing it, and the carrots in the side dish were on the overcooked side and were slightly mushy in texture.

Empty plates were collected promptly and politely, and we were asked for our desserts. My wife chose the Banoffee pie and I had the cheese board. The cheese board was a £4.00 supplement to the two course £19.99, which I felt to be dear. I'm not saying I wasn't aware of it before I ordered it, as I still would have had it, but when you consider the main course was probably £15 of the £19.99, then with the additional £4 supplement, that would make the cheese board a penny short of £9. Expensive for what it was- however the cheeses were very nice.

This is a very nice place and I would recommend it; the management and staff are very switched on and a credit to the business. Everyone was very polite and professional, and we enjoyed our time there, and we will visit again-especially if we win the prize draw for a 3-course meal we entered before we left!

I apologise for the two points of (hopefully) constructive criticism in this review and keep up the good work.

My tip is: make sure you book in advance, as it is very popular, and the restaurant is not huge so does book up quickly.

1  Thank pleasantKent