“Sunday carvery”
Review of Royal Oak

Royal Oak
Ranked #10 of 23 Restaurants in Kington
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We called in here in the way back from a long walk on Easter Sunday. Somewhat cold and mud stained. We were staying in a cottage just up the hill so it was ideal. We arrived after 2.20pm and I asked the friendly barmaid if they were still doing lunch she checked despite saying they normally finish at 2pm. We were shown into the restaurant at the back where we had a lovely beef carvery. The food was v nice and there was plenty of choice and portions. It was about £8-9.00 I also had a couple of pints of Abbot Ale which was a good pint. The locals were all friendly and it was a nice normal local pub. Worth calling in for a beer or a meal.

Reviewed 29 December 2017

You will get a good welcome from Casey the young landlord. There are local beers which are well looked after. The open fire is welcoming and nearly always alight. Sunday lunches are always good and fairly priced. The rest of the week is Thai, expertly produced by the nice Thai lady, Sawadee.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

We had a stroll through Kington which looks a bit run down although it does have some nice buildings and independent shops. There are a few pubs - this one is perhaps the most historic and is quite picturesque. At 5 pm it was full of locals. There are 2 bars as per a traditional pub and we sat in the rear. It was a cosy and friendly place with good quality and reasonably priced beer.

Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

I walked the short distance into Kington from the excellent Castle Hill House B&B, and chose The Royal Oak because it was raining hard and it was the first eatery that I came across. The bar was crowded and convivial, and my pint of Wye Valley was delicious. In the Sawadee restaurant, I chose Tom Yam Gai (spicy sour soup with chicken and vegetables), prawn tempura (I was very hungry), stir fried pork with oyster sauce and egg fried rice. Each dish was cooked to order, yet swiftly served and well presented. The flavours were distinct, and the Thai chef had cleverly ensured that each dish had a variety of textures. A wonderful meal, and I will definitely visit again the next time that I'm in Kington.

Reviewed 27 August 2017

Stopped one night in Kington and decided this was the best place to drink, the sun was out and the garden was excellent, really nice.
After a few beers we decided to stay for dinner, they have a Thai based restaurant and it was OK (and by that, I mean it was OK, not great, but OK...I would do it again).