All reviews health club national holidays steam room swimming pool stayed here leisure facilities trouser press evening meal harry potter studios coach trip executive room bar food petrol station reception staff the sofa bed sunday morning an iron
Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

Arrived at 3am, really exhausted after all day travelling from South France.
No recognition for Platinum Ambassador
No upgrade. Even though hotel half empty
My profile preferences state “high floor” and we got room on ground floor.
Standard room - old & looking tired, it even smells old, stains on walls.
Avoid.
No value for money, for nearly £100 you have better choices around
In room breakfast was fine and bed too.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
IRees, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2018

Dear AshkenaziTDM
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback further to your recent stay with us.
At the outset please accept my apologies in our failing to recognise your status as an IHG Rewards member.
Frequently we are unable to offer upgrades to our guests due to availability and also in line with the duration of their stay, however in order for me to understand this situation fully I would appreciate if you could advise me of the dates of your stay to enable me to investigate accordingly, please contact me directly at GM@HIHemelHempstead.com.
My apologies again and thank you for your comments.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed 30 August 2018

The warmest & friendliest hotel I have ever visited. From welcoming reception staff to the friendliest and most helpful waitresses we were made to feel most welcome. Modern spotlessly clean rooms, a comfortable nights sleep. We stayed 4 nights on a dinner, bed & breakfast rate, thoroughly enjoyed our stay. A massive thank you to the restaurant, Bar and reception staff for making this our best and most memorable short break holiday yet. This is our second visit to the hotel. Perfect location for Hemel Hemstead Ski center, Harry Potter World, Windsor, Liquid Leisure Waterpark. This place is, in all honesty, better than most 4 and 5-star hotels I have stayed at. Well done Holiday Inn, you have done yourselves proud yet again. PS: would love to get my hands on their Carrot soup recipe, Not normally a fan of soups I am now converted. In the words of Mr Schwarzenegger "Holiday Inn, Hemel Hempstead j8 M1 i'll be back" !!!!!

Room Tip: Extremely comfortable rooms
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family

Dear MrFussy43
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments further to your recent stay with us.
The team will be delighted to see your feedback and to learn that their hard work and passion to deliver a great guest experience is appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

i stay in holiday inns most weeks. i am ihg elite member. this one is one of the worst holiday inns i have experienced. 2nd floor corridor smells bad. like wet carpet spilt milk. the room smells bad. musty damp smell. i asked for air freshner but it did not arrive so i bought magic tree car freshners to hang in room. the loo doesnt flush..takes 2_ 3 flushes to get rid of waste. the hotel is 'tired'.

room is clean though. plenty hot water. bed comfy.

food in the hotel is not good..meagre portions no frills. staff could also do with a lesson in how to smile.

even though i am working right next door to hotel _ i am not booking into here again.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank sapbloke
IRees, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018

Dear sapbloke
Thank you for providing your feedback further to your recent stay with us.
At the outset please allow me to apologise for any shortcomings with regards to your room on this visit, I was sorry to learn to learn that there is a musty damp smell in this room and will investigate immediately, to ensure this is fixed along with the toilet flush.
Whilst it is good to know that rest of the facilities within your room were were good and that the room was clean, I remain disappointed, it would seem most likely that there is probably a leak causing the issues you have highlighted and these will be fixed straight away.
Thank you for your comments and I do hope we can look forward to your return despite the issues on this visit.

Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

The staff are incredibly slow and difficult to find

15 minutes to check in on a Saturday afternoon with only 2 people in front of us

Awful room. Clean but old fashioned and very tired. We booked through IHG and used my member points - wasn’t sure if that meant we got a lower quality room or if they were all like that

Bar service was slow - we gave up in the evening

The ‘Starbucks’ was empty in the morning and we gave up after waiting over 5 minutes

Couldn’t be bothered with breakfast as we assumed it would be as bad

Worst Holiday Inn I’ve ever stayed in

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
IRees, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2018

Dear Drumaqueen_MW

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback further to your recent stay.

I was sorry to learn that your visit was spoilt with the slow service within the areas you have mentioned within your feedback, this is not typical however will I assure be reviewed to understand what was the reasoning to hamper the normal efficient service we deliver.

It is quite true that some of our rooms are now quite tired in their style, however it was good to learn that your room was clean and well maintained.

Reviewed 16 August 2018

if you do be prepared to pay £100 for parking - either that or arrive by horse.
Despite the hotel’s many responses to other people’s concerns THERE IS NOT ADEQUATE SIGNAGE. There may be lots of signs but they are NOT evident otherwise we would see them!
Holiday Inn you are an utter disgrace and I will NEVER use you again.

Oh - and the food is rubbish as well - DISGRACE. You ought to be ashamed. I’m frustrated that I have to give this place 1 star rating - Terrible is way too generous.

Room Tip: Don’t go there
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
IRees, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2018

Dear aitchhh
Thank you for providing your comments further to your recent visit.
I am sorry you feel that there is inadequate signage for the parking control system in place, there is however a large number of signs within the car park area, in addition there is a rather large banner immediately within the main entrance, and whilst despite the quantity of signs on occasion we do have guests who fail to notice the signage. When this occurs they will typically engage with the hotel, we ask the guest to provide evidence to support their visit to our hotel and if that supporting evidence is relevant we support the guest in overturning the parking charge issued.
Once again thank you for your feedback.