“Very Average Food so definitely not worth the high price”

The Glasshouse @ The Grove
Price range: US$51 - US$77
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Glasshouse restaurant is tucked away inside The Grove at Chandler's Cross - a luxury country house hotel set in 300 acres of woodlands in Hertfordshire. This lively, informal restaurant is nicknamed the 'theatre of cooking' as its chef prepare British, Asian and Mediterranean dishes in spectacular style, then serve them buffet-style for everyone to enjoy. The Glasshouse is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and the dining room is decorated with contemporary chandeliers, a backlit bar, floor to ceiling windows with views of the hotel's formal gardens, and designer chairs. Popular with fashionable hotel residents and locals for breakfast meetings, business lunches and relaxed evening meals, The Glasshouse is a fun and stylish dining destination. Please note this restaurant only takes bookings one month in advance.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Visited this restaurant for the first time with my Husband on our Date Night without the children. When we booked it a few days earlier there were all sorts of rules in the booking agreement and they take your card details to charge you £20 per person if you do not turn up or if you want to do a last minute cancellation. We were a bit put off by the reservation rules but decided to go ahead with it anyway.

The surroundings are beautiful and green. We went in the bar first as our booking was for 7pm for dinner. The bar looks awful and the chairs are set up too close together. I went to the restroom and when I returned I was not able to walk back to my Husband at the table as a new table had sat down and so two of them had to get up to move their chairs for me to go past which was ridiculous.

The waiter who served us at the bar was excellent and knew all the drinks very well.

Then we went to the restaurant which was nothing special. It was nice but not for a total bill of £150 for 2 of us. The food was just ordinary food that you get in any restaurant at a much lower price. Really nothing special at all. In fact very limited choice for the price they charge! I expected something much better

But very nice ambience - nice families come to this restaurant and the surroundings are beautiful. But not for that price. It’s just so overpriced. Service is normal nothing special.

Will not visit again.

1  Thank SBB333

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

I took my husband to dinner at The Glasshouse after recommendations from friends and family and given the Grove name I had very high expectations, but unfortunately I was extremely disappointed.

For the buffet they charge £49 each which when you read online you feel is worth it given the hotel and variety but this isn’t the case. The menu focuses on a roast which in my option was average and then they have a few other stations all of which are lack lustre, I could have just cooked at home and had a better experience. There’s no ambiance so don’t go there for a romantic meal whatever you do!

I ended up spending £122 for the meal after only having the smallest amount of food, I would have been better off going to a local restaurant or into London for a much better service and experience. Bottom line is if you have money to burn then go here ...actually even if you do don’t!

1  Thank Deepa W
Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

I took my family of 5 to the glasshouse for the first time on Friday 28th Sept. Two of my children ate free as they were under 12. With drinks, the bill still came to around £225
We were sat right beside a waiters station on the upper level near the deserts. Given the over bearing number of staff, I felt we were being constantly watched which made me feel uncomfortable and we were unable to fully relax. There were 2 waitresses who seemed overly relaxed with the service which I found deeply disappointing.
So onto the food- yes it was nice but I have had better elsewhere in restaurants that are far less ‘elegant’.
Overall, I felt the experience was poor value for money. I said to my wife afterwards that for the money, there is a huge selection of fine restaurants we could have eaten in London. As a result, it’s highly unlikely we’d eat there again. If we had to pay for the kids, the bill would have been nearly £300 which I absolutely would not recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Poochbrother
Reviewed 1 October 2018 via mobile

My fiancée and I (29 & 26) enjoyed a pleasant lunch here. We didn’t feel rushed and had plenty of time to try lots of different food. There really was lots of choice and different stations. The food was top notch quality.

There is no dress code and children were in the restaurant also dining.

The staff were okay but not fantastic.

It was a shame that we were charged for bottled water as I would have liked tap water as an option. I feel I should have probably asked though.

I wouldn’t rush back but think it’s nice to have experienced!

1  Thank Charlotte H
Reviewed 23 September 2018

I'm a little confused how they can charge over £60.00 per person for Sunday lunch which is little better than a glorified Harvester Roast !

Starters were acceptable but average (very 80's menu - I was looking for the pineapple and cheese)

Roast was luke warm, meat really fatty and very average, its kept under warming lights so it was cold when we reached our table.

Pudding was O.K

If you fancy a small coffee that will be £4.50 half a coke from the taps £3.50 !

You can do so much better elsewhere, many 2 star Michelin restaurants do 3 course set lunches for much less than this! but hey the restaurant was almost full so people obviously like this dross.....

1  Thank helicopter29