Lowest prices for your stay
US$121
View deal
Hotels.com
US$121
View deal
Expedia.comUS$134
PricelineUS$121
eDreamsUS$121
All reviews new forest full english family stay small hotel a great stay single bed town centre friendly hotel busy road night stay no lift two nights lovely room central location breakfast room plenty of parking family room
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 July 2021 via mobile

The room was fine, but unfortunately up some steep stairs and no lift. Not great if stairs are a problem. The room was small but clean. Getting in and out of the bed was tight. The shower was really quite small, but functional. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Parking was available. Very convenient position to explore the town or drive into the New Forest.

Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Susan Conroy, General Manager at Penny Farthing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2021

Dear cOlinray,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review,I will pass you nice comments onto the team.Our building is old and we do not have any lifts, this is something we cant change.We can however accommodate guests that wish to be put on the 1st floor if you inform us on your booking.

Reviewed 27 June 2021

I booked one of the flats in April to be taken last weekend (18/19 June 2021)
For 4 women friends as a 50 th birthday get together
On Monday 14th June they began one of many attempts to cancel our booking as they wanted to put a family into the flat on the Friday and another different family on the Saturday.
They started off saying they had accidentally double booked but admitted that it wasn’t the case ( can only assume they were getting more money for the rooms with the other bookings)
After I refused to cancel our booking as it would be impossible to find another place at such short notice they offered me 2 double rooms and told me they would cancel other guests to do this!!!
They also promised to place a table and chairs in one room so we didn’t have to sit on the beds.
On arrival there was no table and chairs and 2 cheap bottles of wine as a sorry!!
Saturday morning woken abruptly buy someone showering upstairs and water pipes so loud thought someone was drilling outside!!
We had to book breakfast at a specific time to avoid too many people in the dining room.
Not a problem except when turning up to eat at designated time there was no room and offered breakfast in the corridor outside of dining room!!
The owners daughter then spoke to us and apologised for letting us down so badly and said her mum (manager ) would be ringing me on Monday after our weekend to offer compensation of another weekend in a flat.
No communication whatsoever from anyone
Very dissatisfied and disappointed with false promises and hollow apologies.
Restaurant staff were great and lovely breakfast

1  Thank sueparks

Dear sue,

I was informed about your booking and what had happened, as you were informed i was in hospital and would be back on the Monday and i would make contact with you. Unfortunately my operation took me longer to get over so i am back at the business now catching up on many things.I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by our self's and i will be in touch with you over the coming week regarding your stay.

Reviewed 27 June 2021

This hotel was conveniently placed to where we needed to stay and the rooms have the amenities you need, very clean however one of the bedrooms unfortunately had a neon fire edit sign so sleep was disturbed and the road is rather noisy. I know this cannot be helped but what really knocked a star off was the fact that we only had half an hour to eat breakfast which we were not told before and were asked quite abruptly to evacuate the breakfast hall. This made us feel unwelcome and that we had outstayed our welcome. We didn't have chance to finish our tea and I had to leave my juice untouched. If the service was better I would leave 3 stars as it's a solid accommodation and better customer service or more communication on rules beforehand would make this a solid accommodation to rest your head for a night

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank stevensK8

Dear Steven

We are sorry that you felt unwelcome at the penny as we work hard to deliver customer service to all our guests and make them feel very welcome and safe.As you are aware we are in a very difficult situation at present, and it is our duty to keep all our guests safe.On Check in you would have been informed of the breakfast times and that it is a 30 minute slot, which you would have booked with reception so that we do not have a lot of guests sitting in the restaurant at the same time. .This is all new to the hospitality industry also, as we are trained to serve.Once again i apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Reviewed 14 June 2021 via mobile

We stayed in a room at the front of the hotel. Nice room with a nice bathroom. Busy road just outside didn't bother us, and it was nice to have a fan in this hot weather. Hotel staff nice too.

And then the breakfast...

Breakfast room clean. One waiter working very hard, nice chap. Having sent back the toast on its arrival for being nothing more than warm bread, I just gave up on the cooked breakfast when it arrived and couldn't be bothered to send it back.

I appreciate that this didn't allow chef the chance to put things right, but chef's chance to do that was before it left the kitchen.

Over poached eggs with solid yolks, bacon very hard and dry, sausage that had no flavour. Not for me I'm afraid.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Susan Conroy, General Manager at Penny Farthing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2021

Dear skatingtopsy,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.We are very disappointed that you did not enjoy your full English breakfast, and it was not cooked to your liking.We strive to give our guests excellent service.If you brought this to the attention of the staff it would have been rectified immediately.

King regards

Reviewed 5 June 2021

I stayed at the Penny Farthing with my family for 3 nights in 2 rooms. It was very dog friendly. The rooms are a bit dated but very clean and our showers were very powerful and hot. Beds were comfortable. Breakfast had to be ordered the day before when you chose a time slot and the food was very nice, they offer sausages for the dogs which is sweet. Perfect location to walk to the high street. Susan (manager) and her daughter Danielle were very friendly..!

Dear Brian,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards