Reviews (1 552)
1 552 results
All reviews champagne bar pro shop golf break hampshire suite driving range foot spa spa facilities playing golf eco pods tribute night hot beds manor hotel carvery meal atrium bar the main hotel wedding venue steam room
26 - 31 of 1 552 reviews
Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

Fantastic value for money with the eco pods - £70 a night including full use of the facilities and breakfast! The pod Itself was very clean with a beautifully comfy bed! The shower and toilet block was also very clean and only a short walk from the eco pods! We will definitely be returning!

Stayed: September 2018
OldThornsGR, Guest Relations Manager at Old Thorns, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2018

Dear Lucy,

We are so pleased you enjoyed our Glamping Eco-Pods! They are truly a fantastic deal, while being a fun alternative to camping.

Thank you for the review and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

We got married at Old Thorns on 18.8.18. The venue is absolutely stunning. We loved the Hampshire Suite for our wedding. It was small and intimate. We had the ceremony, wedding breakfast and reception all under one roof so our guests didn’t need to travel. There was plenty of space for everything we needed and the staff were relaxed on how you decorated the room.
Me and my bridal party stayed the night before in their new apartment block which opened in may 18. It was almost to big for the 6 of us! It had everything we needed and didn’t make us feel cramped the morning of the wedding with added hairdresser, make up artist, photographers and other guests popping in. I highly recommend it!
From day one wedding co ordinator Tiffany was helpful and answered all of my emails no matter how big or small the queries I had and was always reassuring. We met her a couple of times in person and each time she would go over every detail with us to make sure she had everything to pass over to the banqueting manager nearer the time. She would ask questions we hadn’t even thought about! She is very professional and clearly knows a lot about weddings!
When we met with our banqueting manager Ashley a week before our wedding, we were clearly nervous and excited. He went through every tiny detail with us which made us feel much more relaxed. Even down to what part of the song I want to enter the ceremony to!
On the day Ashley and his team were perfect. Having worked in the catering business and events (mainly weddings) I fully appreciate the stress and organisation that goes into them and considering they had back to back weddings Friday, Saturday and Sunday they made you feel like the most important couple on that day and completely gave you all their attention.
Ashley looked after me all day, picking up my huge veil everywhere I went, helping me sit down, telling me the most graceful way to get in a golf buggy (highly appreciated!), giving both of us 5/10 minute warnings before the meal, cake cuttings, photos etc which was so special as it made me feel like I had time with my guests and not being pulled away or interrupted. You get so wrapped up in the day and so overwhelmed, I don’t know what I would of done without him. I can’t praise him enough for all the help he gave us.
The staff throughout the day were also just as professional. The serving of the wedding breakfast was timed perfectly and they did a great job of seeing to everyone’s needs. You can see how well the whole place works as a team. And of course Diane! The lovely lady who helped calm my nerves on the day and sorted my dress out before walking up the aisle. It’s the little things that count and she was just amazing. Even in those brief 10 minutes I was with her!
At the end of the day, the Staff tidied and move your stuff to a separate room to sort out the next morning which is just so helpful!
As a whole, the venue, package and organisation of Old Thorns is faultless and stress free. If you want a country side, hotel wedding I would highly recommend Old Thorns. You completely forget it’s a hotel and don’t even see that side of it on the day. It’s scenery is stunning and the venue is beautiful. Well worth the money.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Livvy,

Thank you so very much for this lovely review. We greatly appreciate you taking the time and energy to write this.

It was our pleasure to help you, in every way possible, to make your special day as seamless as possible. We are so pleased to read that you have wonderful memories!

I shall make sure the individuals mentioned know of your comments and thoughts. Again, how very kind of you to mention them.

We hope we may have the pleasure to see you in the near future. All the best!

Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

On our way to Spain we booked this eco pod place for a night to avoid the traffic. We arrived just after 7pm and were met by a surly receptionist who was more interested in opening a tab on our credit card than explaining breakfast times, location of the dining room and shower areas. We were quite amazed to have to leave a £10 deposit on our pod key, which was more like a wardrobe key than a door key. We found the pod (10) after trudging through the ridiculously deep gravel, a bit like walking up the beach in Brighton. We struggled to open the flimsy lock and then battled with the modesty curtain and extremely narrow door trying to find the light switch. No light switch! Using our phones as torches we looked and looked to no avail. My husband eventually found the switches on the two spotlights. The pod itself was reasonably spacious but not the most practical layout. The double bed was comfortable but you did have to climb into it if you slept on the inside. The bed would be better in the middle so you could have two small bedside tables as there was plenty of room for the chest of drawers to be moved to inside the door. Not sure why there was a desk/dressing table as there was no Internet connection if you wanted to work and the mirror was on a different wall if you wanted to use it for putting on makeup. Nice to have tea making facilities but would have been better if they provided a jug/bottle of water instead of having to find the shower block for water.
We did decide to have a drink in the Atrium bar. Husband was not happy to have to hand over his credit card in exchange for a 'fob' to pay for drinks. Wow are the clientele in this place so dishonest you have to leave deposits for your key and can't be trusted to pay for your drinks! Not sure what the theme of this bar is but it brought to mind the Dolly Parton quote it takes a lot of money to look this cheap! Awful gaudy purpke velour seating, tasteless lighting fixtures and a giant photo of I think it was Daniel Craig coveting one wall - dreadful! Our table was sticky and I did have to ask for it to be wiped clean after getting my arm stuck on it several times. No Internet again and husband had to go to reception to reply to an important email, even there it was intermittent. The loud group of men drinking at the bar echoed round this barn of a place so we decided to brave the unlit road and walk down to the very nice welcoming pub, what a difference in ambience and reception!
Surprisingly we did sleep OK. The shower units were clean and warm which was good. We ate breakfast before 7am and although the food had obviously been cooked well it was showing signs of 'sitting' already. The sausages were withered and hard, the bacon was like leather and it was all rather cold. Why cook so much food so early when there were 3 people in the restaurant?
All in all a very disappointing stay in a garish horrible establishment.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gardenofengland

Dear Guest,

Our Glamping Eco-Pods are meant as a step up from camping. This is explained in our web site. I am sorry if this was confusing. They are a great deal as they not only include in each Pod more than other Glamping properties, but the Guests have use of the facilities of the Resort.

Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

Old Thorns is a great resort for rest and relaxation, I particularly rate the hydrotherapy pool which is the best I’ve experienced and worth visiting just to try. We also made use of the spa treatments this visit and both enjoyed our ritual. The champagne bar is nice too and sports bar ticks all the boxes, we are not really into formal meals etc so this is more up our street. There were a few problems, the ice shower in the wellness suite was out of order, the clock in the wellness suite was slow, one of the taps for a foot spa was repaired with a bodge job. I also highlighted some service related issues to the reception manager but he was quick to put things right.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
OldThornsGR, Guest Relations Manager at Old Thorns, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2018

Dear Ross,

Thank you for your review. We hope you will visit us soon.

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

Excellant venue with beautiful decoration set in wonderful grounds, great staff who are very helpful. Drinks and food expensive but average price for a place like this

Would like to come back to use the spa soon.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Dear Dan,

We are pleased you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to you visiting us soon so you may enjoy the rest of our facilities.