All reviews beds were comfortable a bit tired plenty of hot water an evening meal yogurt portsmouth
Reviewed 30 October 2016

If this hotel is to stay on business there is an urgent need for complete renovation of the bedrooms.
Poor plumbing ,dreadful decor and slapdash finish to all the bathroom fixtures making it impossible to keep clean.Room dowdy and dark with uneven floor.No valance on the bed(bed was vey comfortable) and bottom sheet whilst clean ( I think) was covered in mold stains (this was not noticed until the next day when making the bed) apology given and clean sheet obtained from reception.Stairs to room very steep and therefore would not be suitable for anybody with mobility issues (as would other rooms facing the main road.Carpets and all internal doors /decor need attention.....Good news would be the restaurant with both evening meals and breakfast being 1st class with attentive servers.

Room Tip: AVIOD rooms facing the main road if you have mobility issues as stairs are very steep
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
emma h, General Manager at The Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2016

Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry that there were elements of your stay that were less than acceptable but I am so glad that the personable side of your experience was enjoyable.

Reviewed 28 October 2016

Had a single nighter to surprise a friend on her 60th! Great food, excellent prosecco, followed by freshly cooked English breakfast with superb breads for toasting! Rooms were adequate but a bit tired and need freshening up. Carpets throughout need replacing as very worn. Despite this proviso had a very comfortable night, great mattress!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple

Lovely to hear that your stay was enjoyable and that you had a comfortable night. I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 28 October 2016

The bedroom,(Room 19) it was at the top of the building in what you would call a Garret with sloping ceilings either side, bending down to reach into you travel bag was often followed by banging your head on the sloping ceiling.You were also unable to sit upright upon the bed with your back to the headboard as your shoulders and head would be bent over,The carpet was in a shabby condition.
The bedroom windows could not be left ajar as the stays were broken on both casements.
The Bathroom window could not be shut as it has been swollen with ageing damp, and it could not have been locked had it shut as there was no handle to lock it with.
The Bathroom floor had a terrible slanting drop of 4 inches across the area from the bath edge to the opposite wall, when getting out of the bath you felt as if you would fall backwards!
I did ring reception to complain about the position of the room, bathroom window etc and amount of stairs to climb as my wife found it a strain on her knees, was told that they could not re-allocate another room and that I should have mentioned her condition at the time of booking. I did not see any mention of it on the booking form, and it appears other too could not see it when making their booking!
Not the most helpful of staff or considerate of guests woes etc
It was evident that another guest had their dog with them when staying, as it was barking it's head off, it's owner had obviously gone out and left it there!

The dinning lounge was superb as were the staff running it, the food was first class, well presented and cooked to perfection and plentiful.
Morning Breakfast was superb too, with a full continental collection and full English, plentiful and fresh

Room Tip: From experience avoid room 19 and 25 from other peoples reviews
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I am so glad that the staff and the food were first class. I can only apologise for the other points that fell below your expected standard. I have looked into the matters raised and have spoken to those concerned, hoping that you may return in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 22 October 2016 via mobile

I have to say the breakfast was lovely, no complaints. The restaurant and bar there once again no complaints.
Now for the not so good, the bedroom no 37 was a nice big room which unfortunately looked out onto a bit of fly tipping, the bed was very nice and comfy, super king size, with good bedding. The furniture had seen better days Prob around the 80's, marked scratched and faded. The bathroom was the big letdown, over the bath shower which either froze or scalded you and the inderneath of the rubber bath mat was a great place to start working on a new cure for diptheria! The receptionist wasn't particularly interested in us when we arrived, went back 10 mins later and was told yet another few mins til she could deal with us. The public bar is an eyesore, looks makeshift and had dirty glasses, when they could find them. I can say the bar and waiting staff were very nice though. I don't really think the place is worth 80 a night but I suppose it's the location. We did not have evening meal there so cannot comment although the menu would Prob suit all and prices were not too bad. We would not stay there again. Sorry. Pretty much needs a refurb throughout except the restaurant and bar there.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple

Thank you for leaving us a response to your recent stay. I am glad that you found the breakfast and the service positive. I can also agree with you on the comfortable beds. Old English Inns operate a healthy re-investment plan and hopefully The Bear will be apart of that in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 13 October 2016

My wife and I decided to go for a meal at the Bear Hotel. We looked at their website to find 'Food served 11am – 10pm every day' and that they offered a Golden Years menu up until 6pm. Consequently we arrived at 5pm with the intention of taking advantage of this reduced price menu. On arrival we were told that the restaurant was closed between 2pm and 6pm and that there was no chef on site. Neither was there any manager available to complain to - we were offered the opportunity of waiting until 6pm when both the chef and manager would be available. Needless to say we declined to wait for an hour!! We subsequently contacted the company and received a reply stating that food was always available all day but that the Golden Years menu was not available at that location. How they produce food without a chef is a mystery. Basically the response left us feeling it was our fault.

2  Thank dands1124