All reviews richmond restaurant silver service three courses evening guests petit fours golden wedding birthday lunch independent hotel car park toast single room high street afternoon tea after midnight scones town centre wet room
Reviewed 7 February 2016

I went with a group of 13 to celebrate my daughter's 18th birthday. We were in the Georgian room which is off the main restaurant and we had exclusive use. The food was great, good quality and excellent value. The staff were welcoming, very accommodating and decorated the table for us in advance of us arriving.

Date of stay: February 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
LyssesManager, Front Office Manager at Lysses House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2016

Dear 75max

Thank you so much for your lovely comments and I'm so glad your daughter enjoyed her 18th birthday. We look forward to welcoming you back to Lysses in the future.

kind regards

Nicola Stafford
Front of House Manager

Reviewed 23 January 2016

I booked for 6 high teas for Saturday afternoon, plus 2 additional late comers for coffee and cake too. On email, very friendly and paid my deposit. On the day, the 6/8 of us where round a long table so it was difficult to reach the teas (I did have my grandmothers in their 80s). Unfortunately no hot milk for the coffee - but we didn't ask. We had many refills of tea, which was fab. The sandwiches were fine and even did gluten free. Scones were homemade, which was good and plenty of jam and cream, but we did have to ask for an additional scone as only 5 brought out. Cakes were lovely but no cake for the GF person, which was a shame. Even a shop brought one would have been nice. As for the two additional late comers, no one offered them tea or cake at all. As time went on it was too late to ask. On going to pay, they still wanted to charge for them as well as no record of the deposit. Jan on reception was very helpful and quickly sorted everything so the bill was correct. Overall, it was okay. Not bad but just a little disappointing and probably wouldn't be hurrying back. Thank you anyway.

Date of stay: January 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 11 January 2016

I stayed overnight prior to business in Gosport (much quicker to get to Gosport from Fareham than from Portsmouth by car). The hotel is in a beautiful building in Fareham's elegant old High St - away from the noise and bustle of the main drag, and in summer I expect the garden would be a delightful haven.
Service was very friendly and attentive, food was excellent and the room was comfortable but needs some updating. In particular just a little attention paid to the lighting in the dining room would transform it from completely soulless to really lovely. The lounge is very pleasant.
The price for these surroundings in this part of the world was I thought excellent value and the meal choices far from expensive. I will certainly return.

Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 1 January 2016

Didn't know what to expect but we had a marvellous time. The meal was extremely good. The staff were really pleasant and efficient but somehow seemed to remain unobtrusive. The DJ was also excellent, providing a good range and mix of music. All in all we had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Congratulations Lysses.

We also stayed the night and although the bathroom could probably do with a bit of updating, we had everything we needed and were very comfortable. The breakfast provided was also very good, with excellent service

Date of stay: December 2015
Reviewed 28 December 2015

As the title suggests, I visited Lysses restaurant on two separate occasions over the festive period for Xmas lunches. Both experiences couldn't have been more different.
Lysses itself is a rather elegant old fashioned type of experience, so definitely not for the trendy young.
Having said that on both occasions, there was no room to sit in the lounge whilst waiting for other members of the parties to arrive and nobody was very helpful in the bar area.
Now to the meals. The first meal a party of four ladies. Well... the service was absolutely dire. Nobody asked if we'd like drinks and we waited an inordinate amount of time to be served and also service was almost at a standstill in between courses. I had to call waitresses over just to ask where the next course was. The starters were pitiful. The duck was just that a pile of duck on a bit of lettuce! The mains luke warm and the pavlova deserts - not pavlova at all. We did complain to the waitresses and the chef.
The next occasion, a (different) party of five ladies. The service was good and the meals superb. We were seated in the same area of the restaurant and as before they were extremely busy, but we were all exceptionally happy with the standard of the meals and the service.
So, either they had taken on board our complaint or there was a completely different team in the kitchen. Either way what a difference a day makes.
I accept that during the festive period restaurants are exceptionally busy, but, they do know in advance how many people are arriving and what meals are ordered as one has to pre book Xmas lunches. Thus, they should ensure that there are adequate seating areas prior to the meal, that here are adequate staff to cater for the clientèle and that the meals are always of at least a good standard.

Date of stay: December 2015