“Don't waste your money.”
Review of Ravens

Ravens
Reserve with OpenTable
Ravens is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #275 of 731 Restaurants in Southend-on-Sea
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Went in for a drink (we are boring local business people), the barman was so hostile that we were so distrusted that we left before he finished pouring the drinks. Absolutely dreadful and probably explains why the place was empty. This place won't last long with staff like that. A shame really as the owners have obviously put the money into the venue. Sort out your staff before you have to close!!!

5  Thank stuartpbac

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Had the pleasure of visiting Ravens on 3 occasions since it opened. 1st time drinks in the main bar, excellent selection of spirits beers and cocktails, served in quality glasses. really nice decor an a nice vibe.
2nd visit was to the roof terrace then down to the basement, both were really buzzing and again the fixtures and fittings are top end giving it a sophisticated feel...unusual for Southend! Had a brilliant day/ night.
And yesterday had a beautiful Sunday lunch, probably the best beef ive eaten locally. The desserts are quite unique and again in beautiful surroundings. This place has not reached its potential yet as lots of people still don't know about it but check it out as there's something for everyone who like things done with a bit of style.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We arrived early for our table reservation so had a drink at the bar, lovely selection of the ever popular gins. The other half had peroni which was fine, toilets were well decorated and clean, we went upstairs and shown to our table and given some menus which I thought could have been of a better quality rather than bits of paper with normal type on it. There where two large party’s in and that made it very noisy not really the atmosphere I was expecting , the food was excellent really tasty and served piping hot, I did have to ask for the desert menu as we did seem to have been forgotten . The Eton mess was delicious served slightly different from the norm but really nice, coffee was of a good quality . All in all we had a lovely evening and would definitely return but I do think that certain areas just need a little work and it would be perfect .

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Ok... not the best but ok this was the 2nd time I have been in first time was great,this time round food seemed rushed not cooked or seasoned well” also cocktails were not mixed well,tables and general bar area looked grubby,and like it could do with a good clean,floors as well were sticky around bar and seating area with drink spills,hopefully they keep the standard high as it’s a very nice place ,but I was disappointed with the food and cleanliness this time round.

2  Thank Graham-linch
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

As always we had very high hopes for this new venue and it was nice. Unfortunately nice is not enough especially for the price. The basement was not open so we couldn't see what that was and weather wasn't great and as we were told there was no bar on the roof terrace we didn't try it. We arrived around 3pm on Sunday and the musicians were setting up on the ground floor but the bar was totally empty aside from 4 people in a corner table. The bar is ok but nothing special and looking over at the bargain shop across the road. The musicians started later and sounded good from what we could hear upstairs.

Cheap prosecco is my bugbear - no champagne by the glass and I truly wish bars would serve cava by the glass if not champagne but that is my taste and I understand most people like prosecco. I did have a glass of the rose and it wasn't too bad.

Lunch was nice, beef was very flavoursome and plenty of it although it was dried up at the edges. It didn't detract from the taste but had clearly been sitting under a heated lamp. The pork didn't seem to be slow cooked although it was nice enough. The Sunday lunch was served on a plate which for a restaurant that is trying to be fine dining I would have expected the vegetables to be served in dishes separately. There were not enough. The staff were very friendly although some definitely not trained or experienced in front of house high end restaurants. I thought the restaurant area was nicer than the bar but not special and I was still looking at the bargain shop signs so I suggest the windows are reviewed- either curtains or some kind of fancy glass to hide the ugly sights outside.

All in all it was nice but if this restaurant is going to last the distance it will really need to up its game which I truly hope it does as we need more good places in the area.

3  Thank Hap51