“Worst pub on Brentwood High Street”
Review of Swan

Swan
Ranked #63 of 181 Restaurants in Brentwood
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My first pint was served in a plastic glass DISGRACEFUL
My second came in a paper cup????
Brentwood High Street deserves Better

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We went in on Wednesday evening around 7.00pm. Haven't eaten there though for around 3 years after the previous cock up regarding food orders. The bar had a few people waiting but mostly only one barman serving as quick as he could. The barmaid was more interested in sorting out glasses rather than serve waiting customers, then she went off somewhere. Finally got our drinks just as I was about to walk out as I'd been waiting ages and the barman wasn't managing to serve according to how long people had been waiting. went back to the bar a short while later to order food. "Sorry, that's the last order we're taking" I was told. Can't recall what the excuse was because I walked off in disgust. Earlier I her them telling someone they only had one chef. You don't need a chef just to heat up pre prepared food, you just need enough staff to run your pub effectively. We went over to Weatherspoons which may be cheap and cheerful but at least it works. I do love The Swan but once again I'll be giving it a wide berth food wise.

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

I was with my other half and we stumbled upon this little gem next door to the merchant, we asked the barman who had no hair what drinks he thought would be great for us to try, it’s safe to say that this is a great place to go when you want to have a great night out or to just simply chill and enjoy your afternoon with your better half!

Reviewed 25 May 2018 via mobile

Despite a perfectly feasible appeal; it was rejected by BRITTANNIA PARKING with no consideration. Needless to say I will not be stepping foot in this pub again; after putting up with the disgusting toilets & the recent leaving (walkout) of good bar staff; the parking fine has made my mind up! I think The Swan should post a notice on their back door entrance to the pub saying HAVE YOU PAID AND DISPLAYED?? that might help matters!

I received a response from the management which read:

Hi Dianne

We currently have 8 signs in the rear car park and one big sign as you enter explaining there is a camera system in operation. And you must pay and display. There are no hidden cameras as it is clearly signed and the camera is in clear view as you enter. (We do have lighting in the car park on an evening)

Also we offer a refund for parking when making a purchase at the bar.

In regards to the toilets, we carry out toilet checks every hour to ensure we are keeping everything clean and tidy. We recently passed a 5 star EHO audit, which I think shows our determination to keep the pub in the best possible condition.

We have had team come and go over the last few months, but I believe we have a great team here at the moment and one that cares about the pub and its customers.

If you would like to speak to me personally please give me a call on 01277 211848‬ or pop in the pub.

Kind Regards
Craig Marriner

My response below:

Craig, please! Continue to live under your illusions but you may find you are losing more & more customers. I'm not going to repeat anything I've already said as it's obviously a waste of time. I urge you to read all your reviews on here (FB) & Trip Adviser to get a bigger picture on the parking, toilets, staff & Food & make some drastic changes before the pub is closed down on health & safety grounds! I am reluctantly going to pay the £50 fine as I am a law abiding citizen & have only had 1 parking fine in my entire driving (over 30 years) life (in London, when lost & drove into a bus lane by accident) & I don't want to blemish my record. I stand by my principles & will not set foot in The Swan again.

Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

Total rubbish..aunt bessies potatoes. .aunt bessies Yorkshire. .frozen veg..just a cheap dinner for 11.99..meant to b Sunday roast..won't b going back..very disappointing