All reviews extensive grounds a bit tired llamas reindeer ensuite rheas
Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

Our room was located in a portion of the hotel which seems to be slowly undergoing renovations. Our bathroom was beautifully redone and clean. The room was quaint and comfortable enough, despite being in need of an upgrade.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
LionsGroup, General Manager at The Boship Lions Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2018

My thanks for your valued review of your recent stay with us. I'm pleased you found our new shower rooms beautifully done, this is the standard that all these rooms will be brought up to.

we look forward to welcoming you back to the Boship in the not too distant future we hope.

Reviewed 29 September 2018

We were attending the Wedding of a Family Member at the Hotel and were given Room 9 which was very Poor. The Toilet Brush was filthy, the Tiles were coming off the Wall in the Bathroom, the Wash Hand Basin Sink Plug Chain was detached from the Basin.
Although the Bedding was clean the general appearance of the Room was very basic and tired. We reported the Condition of our Room to Reception on leaving and received an Email from the Manager who said that he although appreciated our Criticism and was aware of the Rooms Shortcomings this was reflected in its Cost of £80. The rest of the Hotel, Function Room and Restaurants were good, although the surfaces of many Door and Wall Surfaces were badly Finger stained. I would have thought that £60 would have been too much for our Room as on talking to other Guests who paid the same their Rooms were far better than ours. The Members of the Staff that we met we friendly and helpful.

Room tip: Choose Areas of the Hotel that have been refurbished
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

My thanks for your above comments over your recent stay.As can be seen from this reviewers account, we have already discussed these issues with the guest. As can be seen from the various reviews we are currently under a large refurbishment plan and will get to the older rooms in due course. Other hotels in the vicinity are at a much higher cost at weekends and most do not include breakfast which is why we feel the weekend rate is consistent during this refurbishment period.
The refurbishment will include the doors and walls that this guest has commented on and is currently in full swing with new doors and wall coverings being applied.

Reviewed 18 September 2018

I attended a wedding on the above date, there wasn't enough food to go round for the amount of people that attended even though I'd been told it was paid for! The hotel, in my view was a bit tired looking and in need of some renovations! There wasn't great access for wheelchairs, which made it hard work to manoeuvre! There was a funny smell in the reception area, which was quite off putting. I'm glad I didn't waste money on reserving a room as I was told they weren't great. Not somewhere i would suggest in holding a wedding.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
LionsGroup, General Manager at The Boship Lions Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2018

My thanks for your review after attending a wedding here at the Boship. It would be wrong of me to comment on our instructions regarding the event on this forum, this would have been arranged between the wedding party and our events coordinator. As you say there are tired rooms here, but our owner has not owned this grade II listed building long, and is currently refurbishing whilst we are still trading, so will take a while to complete.
Wheelchair access is a problem in older buildings and especially when confronted with the grade II listing status, but w are trying to make this more accessible. We do have a disabled toilet based in the function suite especially for function use, and ample parking near the disable entrance to the rear of the restaurant. Our courtyard rooms are also wheelchair friendly.

The smell you mention I'm afraid was as a result of a water pipe bursting in our old Tudor bar and flooding the carpet. A dehumidifier and wet vac are currently trying to clear this. The burst pipe of course has already been dealt with. My apologies for the musty smell.

Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

Stayed last night for one night.. we had booked through a third party site who was still selling rooms even tho the hotel was full due to a wedding... we were lucky as they had manage to make up a room (10) which we had.. it's in the old part of the building and is Def in need of refurbishment, it wasn't dirty but very tired and the bathroom was a mix match of bright blue bath and sink and white toilet with tiles that had def seen better days, the light flickered constantly... but the water was hot and plentiful... the blind didn't work in the room and the lights for the garden were on all night which lit up the room considerably, the bed creaked and groaned every move you made in it but wasn't uncomfortable.
As there was a wedding on there was no food being served and the bar was shut to other guests at 9.00pm as there was not enough staff on to cope with the wedding and running the other bar which was a bit off.. we felt like 2nd class citizens and that the guests attending the wedding came first.
The breakfast in the morning was ok we were down early so everything was hot and plentiful... the fried bread was gorgeous!
The gardens are lovely with lots of animals and terracotta warriors which was a bit strange but enjoyed walking round it... the pool was empty which was a shame.
All in all it was an ok stay for the one night for the price we paid on the booking site, if I had booked through the hotel I certainly wouldn't have paid the 90.00 asking price for that room, happy to stay again but would have to have a refurbished room.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

My thanks for your recent review of the Boship Lions Farm Hotel. I'm glad we were able to accommodate you that evening. You are of course correct, room 10 is an older room and is awaiting refurbishment. You will have seen from the various reviews and comments we are currently refurbishing and nearing completing the west Wing. The older rooms will then take their turn in upgrading.

We look forward to seeing you again, perhaps in the new rooms?

Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

Loved the room and the grounds are amazing. I've stayed a couple of times. I have looked out of my window on to live animals one time and Chinese worries the next. I look forward to see what's out of my window next time.
Very happy with both rooms clean, light, airy and so much better than travelodge who where more expensive.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your valued review, its a pleasure to have you stay with us. The Chinese warriors will be looking at the new West Wing and its New Walkway next time you stay, or maybe if later in the year, more Rhea off spring, of baby ducklings maybe? with all the animals here its difficult to tell!