All reviews extensive grounds a bit tired llamas reindeer ensuite rheas
Reviewed 18 September 2018

I attended a wedding on the above date, there wasn't enough food to go round for the amount of people that attended even though I'd been told it was paid for! The hotel, in my view was a bit tired looking and in need of some renovations! There wasn't great access for wheelchairs, which made it hard work to manoeuvre! There was a funny smell in the reception area, which was quite off putting. I'm glad I didn't waste money on reserving a room as I was told they weren't great. Not somewhere i would suggest in holding a wedding.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
LionsGroup, General Manager at The Boship Lions Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2018

My thanks for your review after attending a wedding here at the Boship. It would be wrong of me to comment on our instructions regarding the event on this forum, this would have been arranged between the wedding party and our events coordinator. As you say there are tired rooms here, but our owner has not owned this grade II listed building long, and is currently refurbishing whilst we are still trading, so will take a while to complete.
Wheelchair access is a problem in older buildings and especially when confronted with the grade II listing status, but w are trying to make this more accessible. We do have a disabled toilet based in the function suite especially for function use, and ample parking near the disable entrance to the rear of the restaurant. Our courtyard rooms are also wheelchair friendly.

The smell you mention I'm afraid was as a result of a water pipe bursting in our old Tudor bar and flooding the carpet. A dehumidifier and wet vac are currently trying to clear this. The burst pipe of course has already been dealt with. My apologies for the musty smell.

Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

Stayed last night for one night.. we had booked through a third party site who was still selling rooms even tho the hotel was full due to a wedding... we were lucky as they had manage to make up a room (10) which we had.. it's in the old part of the building and is Def in need of refurbishment, it wasn't dirty but very tired and the bathroom was a mix match of bright blue bath and sink and white toilet with tiles that had def seen better days, the light flickered constantly... but the water was hot and plentiful... the blind didn't work in the room and the lights for the garden were on all night which lit up the room considerably, the bed creaked and groaned every move you made in it but wasn't uncomfortable.
As there was a wedding on there was no food being served and the bar was shut to other guests at 9.00pm as there was not enough staff on to cope with the wedding and running the other bar which was a bit off.. we felt like 2nd class citizens and that the guests attending the wedding came first.
The breakfast in the morning was ok we were down early so everything was hot and plentiful... the fried bread was gorgeous!
The gardens are lovely with lots of animals and terracotta warriors which was a bit strange but enjoyed walking round it... the pool was empty which was a shame.
All in all it was an ok stay for the one night for the price we paid on the booking site, if I had booked through the hotel I certainly wouldn't have paid the 90.00 asking price for that room, happy to stay again but would have to have a refurbished room.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

My thanks for your recent review of the Boship Lions Farm Hotel. I'm glad we were able to accommodate you that evening. You are of course correct, room 10 is an older room and is awaiting refurbishment. You will have seen from the various reviews and comments we are currently refurbishing and nearing completing the west Wing. The older rooms will then take their turn in upgrading.

We look forward to seeing you again, perhaps in the new rooms?

Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

Loved the room and the grounds are amazing. I've stayed a couple of times. I have looked out of my window on to live animals one time and Chinese worries the next. I look forward to see what's out of my window next time.
Very happy with both rooms clean, light, airy and so much better than travelodge who where more expensive.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your valued review, its a pleasure to have you stay with us. The Chinese warriors will be looking at the new West Wing and its New Walkway next time you stay, or maybe if later in the year, more Rhea off spring, of baby ducklings maybe? with all the animals here its difficult to tell!

Reviewed 12 September 2018

I stayed at the Boship Lions Hotel about a month ago, in one of the refurbished rooms. The room was clean and pleasant, had a good shower bathroom and a comfortable bed. All the staff were very helpful and welcoming. The grounds are extensive and beautiful, with lots of places to sit and think (or write?). As stated elsewhere, the corridors and staircases are yet to be refurbished, but this is planned. The pool is closed at present and is to be refurbished too. Ask for one of the refurbished rooms. Plenty of parking spaces.

Room tip: Ask for a refurbished room
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

My thanks for your kind review, I'm you had a lovely stay with us and enjoyed the hotel and the grounds.
The corridors and stair cases are currently being redecorated and new carpets to be fitted once completed. Our west wing is nearly finished, just the glass walkway to replace and it will be open!

The pool as you say has been started and is awaiting the tiler to replace the tiles completely. Will be ready for next summer, hopefully we will get another scorcher!!

Reviewed 11 September 2018

Having needed to do a visit to Eastbourne due to poorly elderly mother I booked the hotel last minute. We were so happy that we had chosen this hotel on arrival, warm greeting, and the room was lovely, clean and fresh. Bathroom clean and fresh.

We make regular trips to Eastbourne and in future will only book this hotel having been disappointed with hotels in Eastbourne.

The grounds were lovely to have a walk to ease the strain after travelling on the M25!!!
Yes there are some minor "defects" but they are working on the hotel so communal areas may look tired.

Give me any hotel that doesn't have a few issues I have not found one in all my travels.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
LionsGroup, General Manager at The Boship Lions Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2018

Our thanks for your valued review of the Boship Lions Farm Hotel.
It is a pleasure to receive such comments from our guests.I will personally see to it that our team see your review. It will be a pleasure to have you stay with us again on your next visit, however I hope the both the journey and circumstances will be a little less stressful for you.

You are right of course that we all have on going issues, but we are working on these constantly. The West Wing refurb is due to complete this month, and then we will be working back on the communal walkways and other rooms.

I'm also glad to here that the grounds were a chance for you to relax after your journey.