All reviews extensive grounds a bit tired llamas reindeer ensuite rheas
Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

We only stayed for 1 night but all the staff we encountered were extremely polite and helpful.
Our room was very large but only the top part of the window opened so was stiffling hot in the room. Bathroom clean and tidy but decor really needs attention as really poor.
Breakfast was fine- good selection on the hot buffet but it would have been nice to have some fresh fruit and other types of bread as well as brown.
Grounds around the hotel delightful .

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2017

Nice hotel grounds and pleasant staff. I was not informed there were 2 wedding parties staying who took over the hotel. I had booked lunch only to drive 20 mins to pick up my friend and get a call to be told the chef cannot do lunch due to the wedding.
My room smelt damp and the mattress had damp staines, cobwebs, broken loo seat and a faulty plumbing system added to the overall disappointment.
When I told reception I was leaving I was offered another room (yet was told earlier they were fully booked) due to the noise and overall lack of relaxing factor I declined, no refund was offered. I emailed requesting one and email was not responded to. Very poor show!

Room tip: do not stay in room no 1
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 27 June 2017

Not bad price, large grounds, swimming pool, owner has a proper gold mercedes, you know like a footballers one, and I think got a bit generous with the gold paint as half the ornaments are painted with it... can you find the gold Hippo!. In the back fields the owner has his collection of Llamas, emu's, and an orchard. In the front is a small lake with a pedalo in the shape of a swan!!!!. Breakfast was pretty good actually. Room was clean, the showers were hot and strong, if you can work out the hospital style taps! I would way prefer to stay in a place like this as opposed to 'formula' travel lodge. It was kitsch city and I think the staff got it... by the way they were really nice.
This place is really set up for weddings and conferences, so make sure one isn't on when your staying. Would I return.. definitely!!

Room tip: Back of the main block has views over fields with Lamas!!!!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2017

This has to be the worst place in East Sussex to eat a carvery lunch. The staff were very sweet also very young. The food was awful. The starter chick goujons came on plate with what could described as a a very bad homemade salad. The dressing would have been ok if the chilli dipping sauce hadn't been used as the base of the dish, the carvery food was ghastly dried chewy head soggy vegetables and why oh why used the same herbs on all the veggies. Gravy was clearly an Oxo cube in hot water....school dinners were better than this. Needless to say we didn't stay for dessert. Shame on you bishop hotel for taking money from people and providing substandard food. Last week for the same price we had a superb Sunday lunch at the sergisons arms Hayward heath....guess where we will be going next week

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

My friends and I were guests at a wedding here and it was all quite a good experience.
Due to a photographers mistake, most of us arrived early and the hotel were not ready for us even at the bar, which was a shame.
After that, the day was pretty lovely. We loved the welcome drinks and the location, including the animals in garden!
Food for the breakfast was yummy, especially the goats cheese tart! The room was decorated perfectly and although long, was a great space for the meal and evening reception.
Our favourite part was the jetty area which was great for photos, drinks and cooler in the evening.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple