“Sadly a little disappointing and we often dibe hefe. ”
Review of The Cooden Tavern

The Cooden Tavern
Ranked #34 of 138 Restaurants in Bexhill-on-Sea
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This is local to us and usually we love it.
We go to the Brasserie also.
The Tavern on 22 June was busy but so understaffed. Just two people then one more.
We didn't mind waiting but noticed food was waiting to be served on the glass warming plate but no one to serve it.
As usual I had steak on a stone which was lovely. My husband had Chicken supreme bland and not up to their usual standard.
More staff would have definitely helped things.
We love the Cooden Beach, hence this honest review.

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

Came here with hubby, son, sister-in-law and mother-in-law. Sat outside on the beach facing area, great location and food looked promising from what we could see being delivered. Two of us had local cod and chips, two had ciabatta with smoked salmon and crab and son had burger. Burger was dry and quite bland, he didn’t finish it, citing he was full ( mother-in-law was paying so he didn’t want to upset her), the fish was lovely in the fish and chips but peas and chips only ok. The ciabatta and smoked salmon with crab was again ok. The menu is very limited and everything is medium to high price - £14 for fish and chips. Waiters and waitresses were run off their feet which meant a couple of short answers when we enquirer about more forks ( you have to get them yourselves but there were none left) and napkins. We wouldn’t go again I’m afraid.

Reviewed 22 May 2018 via mobile

Visited friends in Cooden who took us to the restaurant as a treat. We were greeted by friendly staff and seated very quickly. After ordering drinks we were given the menu, which was well laid out, clearly showing meat, fish and vegetarian dishes in separate columns. The variety and choice was very good. I had salt and pepper calamari to start and it was tender and delicious. My wife had the crab salad which was fresh and very tasty. For main course I had the calves liver, three large slices of tender liver on a bed of mash - tasted really good. My wife had the veal in mushroom sauce with dauphinoise potatoes which she said was the best food she had tasted in ages. I declined a dessert but my wife and our friends ordered ice cream desserts which, when they arrived, were huge and apparently very nice.
The staff were very friendly, the service was excellent, despite the restaurant being busy, and we look forward to returning at some point in the near future.

Reviewed 24 April 2018 via mobile

Decided to visit the Brasserie at short notice and glad we did. A good selection of beers and friendly bar staff. The food was excellent and it is nice to be able to see the chef working in the kitchen. Will visit again - portions good and very well presented.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

I ate lunch at the Cooden Tavern and found the food to be tasty and good value for money. Staff were friendly and helpful.