“Lovely Meal!”

Price range: US$20 - US$26
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Marmalade's is a small, charming, husband and wife run restaurant in a beautiful seaside town. Perfect for romantic meals, special occasions and family gatherings. The food is homely, yet elegant and the wine list is extensive with something special to suit all budgets. Marmalade's is available for private hire and nothing is too much trouble for the staff. If you have any questions or special requirements then don't hesitate to ask our friendly team.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We were visiting Sheringham for the weekend and found Marmalade’s via TripAdvisor, and I am glad we did.

The food was lovely, with the highlight for me being the chocolate brownie, and very well priced. And the restaurant was very relaxed.

It was also very nice when the owner chef came out to check if we enjoyed the meal, which we did very much!

If we are ever back in Sheringham we will definitely return.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is our 3rd visit here since it opened a couple of years ago and again we did not think it could get any better, but we were wrong. The service was excellent and the food was amazing. Highly recommend the lamb, it was so tender we could have eaten it with a spoon and the bread and butter pud was out of this world. Well done Marmalades, will be visiting Sheringham very soon so we can eat with you again. Thank you.

1  Thank A N
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Normally not open on a Sunday evening, we went in on Father's Day evening when they did a steak promotion.
Inside, it's rather drab and dreary...for some reason no art on the walls. The tables are rather too close together and the carpet well worn.
The pate starter was good but my partner's crab and lime was very small for the cost and little trouble had been taken with the salad...no dressing, no presentational flair.
The two steaks were delicious, cooked rare as requested, but whatever else was on the plate was unmemorable. We did, however, choose an excellent red wine.
The service was willing, if not very professional.
Sadly, despite a good location, nice frontage and a sense that the owners are trying hard, it's not the sort of place one would come back too.

Sarah C, Owner at Marmalade's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Paul,

We are open every Sunday from June - September.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your starter & steaks and that you took advantage of our amazing Father's day offer.

We deliberately do not dress the peashoots on the crab as they're not intended as a salad, more as a fresh extra flavour to add to the dish. If we dressed them the flavour would be masked.
Great care is taken on every other side salad to ensure it is dressed in our lovely homemade honey & mustard dressing as we too hate in restaurants when no care is taken over the garnishes.
I can assure you that the crab dish is plated with the same love and attention as every other starter. Having said that, if you would have liked some dressing, a simple ask and it would have been no trouble to provide some for you.
You're right, it's not a large dish, but our intention is for customers to enjoy three courses and leave feeling comfortably full.
If the starters were any bigger less people would order desserts & probably their mains would be enjoyed less too.

Our steaks come with home made triple cooked chips, half a grilled tomato & garlic mushrooms...what else would you like? Simple, but effective and letting the produce speak for itself. We have occasionally had customers request peas or even a fried egg and have always accomodated specific requests where possible. You need only ask.

I fail to see how our service was not professional, the only thing I could think you are referring to is that the card machine unfourtunately went down during service, something which was entirely out of our control & dealt with in the best way possible.

We are regularly complemented on our cosy, inviting and comfortable atmosphere, from the chairs to the decor. I'm sorry you didn't feel that. We are looking in to some local art for the walls, but I don't think it's strange that there isn't any. Many restaurants be it pubs, cafes or higher end establishments don't have pictures on the wall and that's fine.

I'm sorry to hear you won't return, I hope you find what you're looking for.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Visited on Saturday night. Excellent food and service. It's not a big restaurant so it is advisable to book. Lovely location right in the middle of Sheringham. My husband had the bread and butter pudding which was soon enjoyed by the rest of our party, it was amazing. I had read reviews about inexperienced young staff, they are young but we found them to be extremely good, very helpful and certainly experienced. People were turned away due to failure to book but then they did accommodate a table of 12 who arrived early for their booking. Would definitely recommend and definitely return. Thank you.

Hi Tracey,

I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed everything, especially as it was a special occasion. Thank you for choosing to spend it with us.

I wonder if our style of service is just a bit less formal than some customers expect, I'm glad you appreciated the team's friendly and efficient manner.

It's great that you noticed how hard we were all working on Saturday. And yes always book!

We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We booked a table for our anniversary, the food was very nice, but the youngsters serving were very inexperienced. Our bottle of wine was plonked on the table (no pun intended) and we were told theres your wine, we were not offered to sample or even shown the label. Our Gin &Tonics looked like lemonades, as the tonics were already poured to the top of the glass. We couldn’t believe 3 couples were turned away and the empty tables stayed empty.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your review, it's great to hear that you enjoyed your food.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the service as much.

I appreciate that in some restaurants they do offer you to sample the wine & show the label, but that's not something we do here. The ritual of it is just a little too formal for the bistro vibe we are trying to acheive. The main reason to sample wine is infact to see if it's 'corked' and of course should you taste the wine & find it to be so we would replace it right away, however the majority of our wines are screw topped so the likelyhood of them being corked in very low.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy you G&Ts (Something I have noted to bring up in our next staff meeting) if you had returned them then of course we would have made the right for you and probably not charged you either, I wish you would have said something at the time.

I don't really see how us turning away business affects the overall experience you've had with us...we're are a small restaurant with a small kitchen and only one chef. In order to get food out in a timely manner and of the quality we want it would be impossible to seat everyone at the same time.
It's probable that those couples were not turned away, rather they were offered to come back at a later time and refused as it didn't fit with their plans.

As I always say, it's ALWAYS best to book. We need to stagger the bookings for the enjoyment of our guests.