“great cafe”
Review of Byfords

Byfords
Reserve with OpenTable
Byfords is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 59 Restaurants in Holt
Price range: US$13 - US$19
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I went with friends. I had earl grey tea which was excellent and my friends had cakes and pastie. It was all very good and the service was friendly too. I would come again.

Dear Peter J,
Thank you for taking your time to leave your wonderful review. We are delighted to hear about your visit to us, we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Jessica

Write a ReviewReviews (1 563)

91 - 95 of 1 563 reviews

Reviewed 25 June 2018

lovely place to have lunch, really good service and the cakes look lovely. Not cheap but you pay for what you get. Would definitely recommend. It’s not your run of the mill restaurant somewhere you would always remember never forget.

Dear Zoekatrinaallen,
Wow what a fantastic review, thank you. We are thrilled to hear about your visit to Byfords. It means a lot to us to hear that our hard work is appreciated. We hope we will see you again soon, maybe for some of our delicious cakes.

Reviewed 22 June 2018

First of all this establishment does nor have a toasted tea cake so I went for earl grey tea and a fruit scone, My husband asked for English tea plus a prawn sandwich without chips. When my scone arrived it was dense and not very nice - you needed to clean your teeth afterwards. With regard to the prawn sandwich the bread and prawns were dry and not enjoyable. When I went to pay I was informed that the sandwich was £9,75 (which included chips) when I queried this and explained that my husband did not have chips I was informed that the chips were complementary so I would advise everyone that visits this place to order a basic meal and ask for complementary chips I would be interested to hear what was said. Bywords is overpriced and I will not be visiting again
S

1  Thank pandlwarner

Dear pandlwarner,
Thank you for taking your time to leave your review in writing. We are very disappointed to hear about your visit to Byfords. We are sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your scone or the prawn sandwich. We want all our customers to leave happy, and would have been very happy to replace the dishes if you had brought the issue to our attention. All our sandwiches are made fresh to order, using the best quality ingredients, which is reflected in the price and are served as a meal and include either a small bowl of fries or salad to make the meal more substantial- the comment from our staff member regarding them being complimentary was a mistake.
We are sorry to hear about the scone and our Head chef is investigating why this was the case as our scones are not normally like this.
We hope you will give us another chance in the future.
Jessica

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

Visited Him this the team train line and was unsure what we wanted for lunch so followed the fantastic smells and people and so glad we did. Ended up having a beautiful bottle of cold Chilean Savi, cooked lunch and ice cream desserts. The ambience service and choice are wonderful and my sweet and sticky bbq chicken was divine. Even took pasties made on the premise to cook in the motor home later.

Dear Linda P,
Thank you for your wonderful review. It has really made our day to hear what a wonderful lunch you had. We hope you enjoyed your pasties when you got back. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

It used to be that any visit to North Norfolk had to include a coffee and scone in Byfords, Holt. Oh dear, what a major disappointment we had today. Firstly they seem to have changed the recipe for their fruit scones. They now have a distinct cinnamon flavour. They were served hot which I really do not like. Worse of all they were ridiculously expensive. Two cups of coffee and one fruit scone - a few pence change from a tenner!

Sorry Byfords, there are lots of good coffee shops in Holt and you have now lost our custom.

The only reason for two stars are the toilets which are worthy of the Savoy!

Dear Derek P,
Thank you for your review. We are very disappointed to hear that you didn’t enjoy your visit. We changed our scone recipe a few years ago and our current one was the favourite with our local customers when we did a blind taste test. We are sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy them. They do not normally taste of cinnamon so our Head Chef is checking the recipe to make sure this was a one off. If requested we will happily serve our scones cold. I hope you will give us another chance next time you are in Holt.