Svalbard Hotell The Vault(Longyearbyen)(Great Value!)
US$294
Svalbard Hotel(Longyearbyen)
Book now, pay at stay
US$294
US$275
Coal Miners’ Cabins(Longyearbyen)(Great Value!)
US$142
US$37
Pitchup.com
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
All reviewsdog sleddingtrapper's lodgebunk bedsisfjord radiocomplimentary tea and coffeereindeer stewwarm atmospherebreakfast roomnorthern lightsbest restaurant in townat short noticesaffron ginrustic hotelfamily suiteglass ceilingsteep stairsrooms are lovely
Reviewed 24 March 2015

Longyearbyen is an amazing place and this hotel bang in the middle is just as good! The rooms are big and very nice, the lounge area is lovely, the breakfast amazing and the staff super helpful and friendly... I would not want to stay anywhere else! My only comment is that the rooms are quite chilly - so be prepared for that! (they are fine for sleeping though).

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2 and in room 6 and both were very nice.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Unruly11
Reviewed 21 March 2015

On March 17, I used Booking.com to reserve a room at this hotel - at the time there were three other options as well, but based on the reviews, I thought this one sounded the most authentic/fun. I received a confirmation email advising all was in order. Background: Prior to booking, I reserved a spot on the Expedition (48 hr hold) and arranged airfare (24 hour hold). I did not confirm either until I received the confirmation for two nights after at this hotel and for one night prior at a different hotel. Once I felt secure that all was set, I confirmed the two more expensive pieces of the vacation and was excited to know I was on my way. Then, today, after I can no longer change my flight without incurring a fee, I receive an email from the hotel. They do not know what happened, they have been sold out since December, and will not honor the reservation. Before I panic too much, I go to look at what other options are still there - I figure I'll just switch to Svalbard Hotel, no big deal. NOPE! Now it is sold out, as are all the other hotels. I write back, explaining there are no available hotels and they must honor their contract. I'm told either change my flight and they will give me two different nights at a slightly reduced rate (this would mean sleeping on the street the night my ship gets back to Svalbard, or cutting my vacation short by two days, and either way incurring a fee that there is no offer to reimburse) OR they will try to find a hotel, but if it is more expensive, too bad, that is on me. I go back to my search online and end up booking what is essentially a room at a hostel (I am a bit old for hostels, so cannot imagine this will be pleasant, but better than being on the street, in the cold). Their bottom line: even if you have a confirmed reservation online, you need to call them personally to confirm that you have a "real" reservation (which is NOT the law in the United States, which governs a situation like this, where a foreign company has purposely chosen to conduct business in the United States. MY BOTTOM LINE: Stay far away from a company that pays lip service to customer service and ultimately is willing to leave you out in the cold rather than help find a solution. I can only hope that other businesses in Svalbard are not so shady (I travel extensively, and never have I had a business handle a situation so poorly. I can only assume they know they can take advantage of people who have few options.)

Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
4  Thank Terry S
BasecampSpitsbergen, Manager at Basecamp Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2015

Dear Terry
We sincerely apologize. We use web based booking systems like so many others. For some reason our booking system did not push correct information to Booking.com this time. This has only happened twice. However, two times is two enough. We are working to make this problem solved.
We still want to wish you a pleasant stay on beautiful Svalbard.

Reviewed 5 March 2015

I've stayed in 3 places in Longyearbyen. This is the one I'd go back to. It has a certain (rustic) charm. Unlike the two larger places (Radisson & Spitsbergen), it's not overflowing with huge tour groups of people waiting for a cruise ship to leave. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is OK but not great. The restaurant serves a decent pizza, but you'll want to make a reservation.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kim G
Reviewed 21 February 2015

Good value for money in this creative and hospitable hotel in Svalbard's main town. The rooms are very clean and set up in an original way to let you indulge in a Trapper's life atmosphere during the time when you stay inside.
The staff is helpful with any kind of request, and also organizes some of the better adventure & sightseeing activities on the island.
Perfect location for a bit more "special" overnight experience. And even though the hotel is located right in the town center, we didn't have any issues with noise etc.
The adjacent "Kroa" restaurant - also in trapper-style decoration - can be recommended for a unique dining experience.

Room Tip: Book well in advance to get one of the best rooms, but most are quite original and well-located as far as I could see.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rzumbus
Reviewed 1 February 2015

I stayed at this hotel just a week ago, and it was absolutely lovely! The Congac-hems they have was a good place to relax, the room was always clean, the breakfast was awesome and the people working there was helpful and always smiling.

And the food on Kroa was amazing!

I will come back here!