Svalbard Hotell The Vault(Longyearbyen)(Great Value!)
Hotels.com
US$336
  • Restaurant
Svalbard Hotel(Longyearbyen)
US$293
Coal Miners’ Cabins(Longyearbyen)(Great Value!)
US$129
US$112
US$243
Priceline
Longyearbyen Camping(Longyearbyen)(Great Value!)
US$36
Pitchup.com
  • Beachfront
All reviewsdog sleddingtrapper's lodgebunk bedsisfjord radiocomplimentary tea and coffeereindeer stewwarm atmospherebreakfast roomnorthern lightsbest restaurant in townat short noticesaffron ginrustic hotelfamily suiteglass ceilingsteep stairsrooms are lovely
Reviewed 25 November 2014

Life’s never ending merry go round and ceaseless demands inspired us to make a spontaneous booking to Svalbard. I read an article a few years ago and since then have been patiently waiting to see if the beautiful masterpiece which I had painted in my mind really existed. Finally I am glad to say that it exists and despite being slightly darker because of this time of year, it is everything if not more than I imagined. Trapper’s hotel Is authentic to the core and true to its amazing surroundings. This place exudes a sense of tranquility and warmth from the minute you enter through the front doors but its uniqueness is in the details and the service provided by the staff. This is more than just a hotel, it’s a home away from home, an arctic oasis with a sense of history, adventure and inspiration embedded in the walls. The town has plenty to offer and the people we came across are nothing but friendly. The museum is a must see, a treasure chest of stories of bravery and courage as well as tragedies that once read will leave their mark on you. We enjoyed two trips offered through the hotel, hunting the Northern lights and dog sledding. Despite the fact that we never actually got to see the Northern lights due to mild and cloudy conditions our friendly guide Niklas made every minute of our alternative trip memorable. His hospitality, spontaneity and ability to make you feel at ease combined with his interesting description of life on Svalbard left you wanting to see and discover more about the island. A visit to the “Seed Vault” was one of the highlights of the tour that day. We stood at the gates of the vault, under the spotlight of the glimmering artwork above the door, in the company of the surrounding snow covered mountains and it was a sobering thought that the contents beyond those doors could someday ensure the continuation of the worlds food crop as we know it today. This cold and secure mountain is safeguarding one of the world’s most important resources for future generations. The second trip dog sledding is our most memorable filled with excitement, pure pleasure and bundles of laughter. Once again I have to thank Niklas for ensuring our safety and whose patience is both admirable and inspirational. This trip awakened a new sense of hunger to spend more time enjoying nature. On this note I will say nothing more than that it was my first encounter with dog sledding, Svalbard and Trapper’s hotel but definitely not my last.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2014 via mobile

Great friendly atmosphere and everything is close. Restaurant Kroa right in the same building serving excellent food. Room was cosy and the bed was calling under the soft and warm planket. Common room had lots of room to sit on and watch tv.

Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 768ristor
Reviewed 31 October 2014

We stayed for three nights. We loved the location, atmosphere and comfort of the hotel. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Just really nice people.

We had a room on the first floor just outside the breakfast room. Our room had a bed big enough to accommodate my husband and I and also a single bunk above it. There is a small table next to the bed and a bench along part of a wall. The room is not set up for lounging. Mainly just sleeping. Which was fine because of the terrific common areas available to hotel guests (more on that below). There was a heater in the room and temperature control for the bathroom, each of which we set to our own comfort level. The room was clean and the bed fairly comfortable (bit soft and depressed in the middle). The only item lacking was a hairdryer in the bathroom. In fact, I think there was not a power outlet in the bathroom. Our room was quiet at all hours as well.

The hotel requires guests to remove their shoes at the front entrance. Great idea because it keeps the common areas clean. Everyone walks around in socks. We spent a lot of our time in the common area on the first floor when at the hotel. There is comfortable seating and complimentary tea and coffee and a bowl of cookies and biscuits. Just great to come back to after time out in the cold; particularly after an active day. There is a second common area on the second floor that has a television. But we enjoyed the first floor area so spent our time there.

Breakfast was served in the breakfast room. There was plenty to choose from. The food I ate was good.

There is a direct entrance from the hotel into a restaurant and there is a pub (which we preferred) directly across the way. A market and shops are all within a 5 minute walk.

We would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2014

I stayed here before and after a skiing trip, and it must be the best hotel in Longyearbyen. It's different from any other hotel you've seen,and the use of natural interior makes you feel welcome in the Arctic. The breakfast is awesome, great, tasty food and the waffle maker is a winner for both kids and grownup kids.

Room Tip: Get rooms upstairs. The rooms on the first floor has views from the streets directly in.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2014

Trappers definitely falls in the category of hotels that I would like to re-visit and that I can call a destination on their own. Excellent service, excellent breakfast and nice atmospheric rooms. I also took a look at the other options in Longyearbyen and Trappers is far out the most unique one. The hotel reception was extremely helpful while arranging day tours even if their own company did not offer the tour I was willing to take. Rooms were impeccably clean. There is also a great restaurant connected to the hotel where I had nearly all my dinners - good food and a local feeling. The only part of Trappers that I beileve can benefit from some improvement is the design of the bathrooms inside the rooms. The hotel is quite stylish ones but the bathrooms do not match with the overall style quality of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo