FindHotel
Destinia.com
Hotels.com
eDreams
All reviews ferry terminal bedroom apartment infinity pool main bedroom ocean view nelly bay rock wallabies amazing views car hire spa bath maintenance issues full kitchen bottle shop washing machine rita complex iga
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 April 2021

We booked this property based on the belief that a Mercure property claiming to be 4 stars would be really nice. What a joke. We were welcomed by unprofessional and disorganized reception staff, one wearing a truckies singlet. Neither were wearing face masks on arrival as per government health requirements. Our printed booking information stated that full payment had already been made but we were informed on arrival that it had not. I handed over my credit card to pay the $1095 for our 3 night stay only to find out that I had been also charged a premium for credit card use - no warning in advance or offer to allow me to pay by direct debit to avoid the charge.

We paid for a Queen Room with ocean view - we got a ground floor room with a partial view of the harbor and rock wall. The room smelt damp. We immediately complained about the smell, but were fobbed off. We were promised that some room deodorizer would be brought to the room but it was not supplied. The laminate was peeling off the fridge. There were stained and discolored tiles in the bathroom. The bedroom and bathroom were separated by an old shower curtain.

Our expectation is the a "4 star room" is serviced - we were supplied with inadequate tea, coffee and milk for even one day. It was not resupplied at any stage. We went to the shops and purchased our own tea and milk. We were supplied half a toilet roll for a 3 night stay. We stole another from the cleaners cart out side of a room. No shampoo or soap was supplied - we bought our own from the shops.

On day 2 we hired a rental car. I went to reception to let them know that another car was in our car park. I was rudely challenged around why we had not rented the car through the Mercure. I was told to not worry about where I parked - to use anyone's car park - ie to sort it out myself.

The Mercure is a serious hotel chain. I do not understand how you can put your name to such a badly run establishment which is really just an apartment complex, not a hotel. There are no bars, cafes or restaurants. It would appear that they are privately owned apartments being run by an incompetent management group.

There are nice aspects to the complex. The location is OK and convenient for the ferry and shops. The views from other rooms would be spectacular. There are nice swimming pools. But it is being run dishonestly. It is not 4 star and it is way too expensive for what it is.

Paul - Room stayed 2102 4/4/21 - 9/4/21

Date of stay: April 2021
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank paulbbb52
Eric Dickinson, General Manager at Grand Mercure Apartments Magnetic Island, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2021

Good afternoon Paul
Thank you for your review, we take all our guest experiences and sort the valuable contributions from the "lets have a gripe" unhelpful comments.
Paul, your booking was made through head office with as is required all charges and card fees explained.
For you to now turn around and suggest otherwise shows your lack of understanding, even though explained to you.
Your apartment was a one bedroom ocean view and that's exactly what you got. Perhaps to satisfy your needs we should chop down all the beautiful palm tress on the island.
As a "Grand Mercure" we are fully self contained apartments with full kitchens and laundries.
We do not do daily services unless these are requested at time of booking and they are charged accordingly.
Our housekeeping team had just finished cleaning your apartment, so the "smell" you are talking about was the freshly mopped floors, not yet completely dry.
As a courtesy to you I visited your apartment when you notified me of your concern and sprayed a tropical scent deodorizer throughout the apartment.

Yes, you are correct, the Island is a beautiful place, and so is the resort you stayed at, we do hope that you find your way back and look forward to having you as our guest once again.

Reviewed 12 April 2021

The location was fantastic, close to a supermarket & just a short walk to lots of different takeaway, restaurants & coffee shops. The pool was great, parking was easy & close to lift. The unit was spacious, the 2 bedroom we booked had a main bathroom & the main bedroom also had a fantastic ensuite with separate shower & bathtub, the lounge was a great size & there was Foxtel on the TV. The View was amazing. It is also right where the ferry docks & there a frequent buses from here to explore the many wonderful experiences that Magnetic Island has to offer. Beautiful walking tracks & wildlife to see, in the bushland & the beautiful ocean sealife. An experience for the whole family not to be missed, absolutely amazing.

Room tip: Definitely the ocean view rooms, amazing.
1  Thank 459BevP
Reviewed 5 April 2021

We stayed here over the Easter break and loved every minute. Place was very clean. There were 4 pools which were fantastic and management were very helpful. Our room was very spacious and clean. BBQ was very clean, close and easy to use.
It was so close to everything and very central. Bus stop almost at the front and the IGA store and bottle shop was across the road which was great.
Will be staying again at this place when we return next time.

Room tip: Best location and manager
1  Thank Pinoftravel
Reviewed 16 March 2021 via mobile

When we arrived for a 4 night luxury escape stay, we were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a 2 bedroom ocean view apartment. The staff couldn’t have been more helpful or friendly.

The apartment was clean and tidy upon arrival and the view was the best we have had at many a resort looking straight over the ocean. The bedroom and bath has unobstructed views of Townsville and the ocean.

The bed was super comfortable and we had everything we needed in a self contained apartment. A huge balcony and access to 4 pools!

Nightly visits by the rock wallabies and easy access to the whole island.

Date of stay: March 2021
1  Thank Rick6100
Reviewed 16 February 2021

unit was dirty, food under coffee table, kitchen appliances greasy. told by manager I should have complained and she would had it fixed...quote cleaning is a problem here .Bath/shower is dangerously high step in, no grab rails nothing except glass partition wall to hang onto. The shower nozzle was broken wouldnt stay in correct position. Only a sheet on the made bed, the only blankets that were supplied was a 3/4 bed lime green blanket , which was just thrown in wardrobe....not folded just thrown in. quilt cover to small for the bed, did not have a cover, just an old quilt. I paid good money for an ocean view, had 2 palm trees at eye level....dont know why I was given that unit, it was the only one with palm trees and the place was certainly not full. I should have been advised that my view was going to be obscured. Really probably one of the worst motels I have stayed in, just aged, not really well run....a bit of a shame could be good.

Room tip: only some wings have elevators
Date of stay: February 2021