Hotels.com
Orbitz.com
Travelocity
Destinia.com
CheapTickets
All reviews beach towels beachfront unit garden view apartment was clean opposite the beach under cover living room explore the island the kitchen kathy eskies accommodation units laundry cooker complex beaches
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 October 2020

We booked our stay At Sails on horseshoe for Oct 2020 and paid in full before the covid19 issue hit the globe in March 2020. Our original visit was part of a wedding attendance but it was cancelled for obvious reasons. However we still decided to make the trip along with many others in the wedding party and take a trip away to Magnetic Island. I'd booked and paid in full for an ocean two bedroom appt overlooking the water.
After travelling for two days we arrived at Sails on Horseshoe just before lunch. We were informed our room wasn't ready, fair enough check in after all was 2pm.
Now... after considerable waiting time i approached the manageress Kathy again and was informed it still wasn't ready and was awaiting cleaning. It was then i was informed she had no idea when it would be cleaned and available as the cleaners were contractors. waiting waiting waiting.... Again approached even later in the day and was told the room wasn't cleaned and she had no idea when or even if it would be done!
Having got all my family there i requested to just have access and i'd clean it myself, if i was provided fresh linen i'd make the beds also. "No you are not insured was the answer".
We waited longer and longer and finally was informed by Kathy the room wasn't available because cleaning couldn't be gauranteed and to seek alternate accommodation.
The gentleman onsite was trying to be helpful but even he was prevented from assisting us and advised not to defy her orders. As the manageress retired to her appt behind reception never to be seen again.
There we were, a long way from home on an island with nowhere to stay with 2 kids frantically trying to find alternate accommodation late on a Friday evening.

Sails on horseshoe!!!!!
The most shocking experience I've ever encountered by a holiday resort in all my life. During these times you'd think paying customers still willing to attend would 100% be a priority.
But no....
Wonder why this place is for sale!

Room tip: Book elsewhere, the place is for sale and the manageress isn't interested in guests.
Date of stay: October 2020
2  Thank X6717OIdaniels
phil quibell, General Manager at Sails On Horseshoe, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2020

We apologise that the rooms were not ready for you on time but, as we tried to explain, the cleaning contractors were stretched to the limits with the extreme amount of visitors to the island and their lack of staff (many choosing not work when the government will pay them to stay at home).
The cleaning was guaranteed, it was just the completion time that was not. There were other guests in your party in other units and they elected to stay here.
Kathy retired to our unit because your behaviour was very aggressive and upsetting to her. I can understand your frustration when you could not get into the unit when expected but these are difficult times and an acceptance of the issues is required. Your unit was ready by 5pm.
We had transferred one of your guests with two babies to unit 10 (which was ready from the previous day). You could have sat comfortably on their balcony or inside with them or even gone for a walk around Horseshoe to get to know the bay.

Reviewed 11 February 2020

I had booked this family weekend away almost 2 months in advance as a surprise for my mums birthday. It was absolutely ruined and had my mum in tears due to the horrible old lady who runs the place. The husband was reasonable and seemed fair, but no matter what he said or how reasonable and helpful he tried to be, she shut him down and bullied him and us. We booked a 6 person room and had upgraded from a 2 person room. Due to their own ignorance and carelessness, they did not check on their Booking.com portal that an upgrade had been made. The husband admitted this to my face at 7:00pm when we arrived that he had not checked and was his mistake. The rude lady then got in my face arguing that she has never made a mistake and checks absolutely everything always. They proceeded to call Booking.com and were told the upgrade is there and they should’ve checked it. At this point it’s nearing 8:30pm and after an hour of my mum calling around, we have nothing. The establishment owners were absolutely no help. They closed the reception and left us in the rain to go eat their dinner and left us to find our own alternative accommodation on an island(!!) even though it was their fault. The rude lady then came out and proceeded to tell us we will be charged as a “no show” regardless if we stayed in 2 person room or not and could not fathom why just two of us could not stay and split up. We had kids with us and that was not on the cards, this was a family weekend booked months in advance. The “no show” fee was the $210 deposit I had already paid when I booked and at this point we had been sitting in the rain for over 2 hours trying to find a roof to put over our heads for the night so I accepted it and we left to find alternative accommodation. Not even 45 seconds after walking away, another $200 was debited from my account even though the lady insisted she would only be keeping the deposit that I had paid 2 months ago when I booked the unit. Evidently, looking at other reviews and the family who checked in at the same time as us, they have developed a horrible reputation for their services. We stayed at Sails years ago before these two took management rights and never ever had an issue, after talking to many locals on the island, being extremely difficult is just her reputation. The other family booked an ocean view room and received a garden view behind other units... Considering most people book this establishment for the view, I would’ve felt absolutely ripped off as you can get much nicer on the island for the same price. The rooms are dated and tacky and the only pro is the location. If you’re after luxury or even remotely decent, steer elsewhere. If I could give a zero rating, I would.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Josie C
factor12, Owner at Sails On Horseshoe, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2020

On 9/12/19, we received a booking from Booking.com for only 2 guests in a one-bedroom Studio unit. On that day, a $200 deposit was taken from your account and a confirmation email sent to you via Booking.com.
The email clearly states our email address and phone number, hours of opening (8.30am to 5.30pm.) and the total price of $410 for the two nights for two guests.
We had phoned you three times after 5.30pm on your day of arrival to find out the time you were arriving as we were closing the office. We had no reply. At 7.30pm, two people arrived. I took you around to the room and then went back to lock up the office. Whilst I was doing this, you both came straight back to the office and told me you had booked a two-bed unit. Then an extra four people arrived. You said you had done a modification to a two-bed Garden Terrace unit, but we had never received this and all the other units were full.
We phoned Booking.com. They said they did a modification (which we did not receive) but it was still for two guests. If you had told them it was for 6 adults, the price would have been significantly higher. We offered the unit for two of your party but this was refused.
There were no children with you. It was raining but the office was still open and with chairs inside and an outside canopy. Booking.com were trying to get you accommodation for six adults and I phoned the pub to ask them if they could keep the restaurant open for 6 adults as it was nearing their 8.30pm closing time.
Your husband was in the office and we showed him the booking for the one-bed unit for two guests and he told us that the same situation had happened to you recently in Melbourne.
All your monies were refunded and Booking.com realised there had been a fault in sending the modification.
We realise that this was not the start to the weekend that you wanted but do not accept your rather nasty and contrived comments and who were the supposed other guests that checked in whilst this was going on? All the other guests had checked in by 5pm and were perfectly happy.

Reviewed 10 January 2020

As the title states, we loved Magnetic Island and the accommodation at Sails on Horseshoe so much that we booked for July before we left.
I was impressed that we were given a particular room after having a phone conversation with Kathy about what I would like, and that room was reserved for us for months. I’m used to reserving “a room” and having the accom re-jig things depending on their bookings, so this was lovely.
The view from the upstairs beachfront unit was stunning, the balcony was amazing, our view of palm trees and the beach from our bed was incredible.....just loved it. The unit was really well equipped with everything we needed and more. Never seen such a huge stock of kitchen appliances and utensils in a rental unit, which made BBQing at the beaches easy as well.
Pool with fantastic BBQ area was good. Fridge and two cookers as well as under cover tables.
Beach towels, eskies, beach toys and foldable chairs all available for free use from reception....little things that made our stay so much more comfy! I found Kathy and Phil to be accommodating and friendly. Take the time to have a conversation with them!
Can not wait to be back there in 6 months!

Date of stay: January 2020
1  Thank melinaluvsholidays
factor12, Manager at Sails On Horseshoe, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2020

Hi Melina. Thank you for taking the time and writing such a comprehensive review. Kathy and I are glad that you enjoyed yourselves here and look forward to seeing you again in the future. Regards. Phil & Kathy

Reviewed 3 December 2019

I am not sure where to start however when we booked we spoke to Kathy who advised we would be going into a ground floor unit which had plenty of space and specified unit no 4. When we arrived on the island and finally found the place the drama started. we were advised that we would be going into apartment No2 which was 2 story. Both Kathy and Phil denied having that conversation with us and said that's not what they do and we would have to have apartment 2. During this conversation Kathy said she had things to do and ran away. During our 4 day stay we could not find apartment 4, very puzzling. Both Kathy and the office area reeked of cigarette smoke and both she and Phil were very rude and offhand. The bedrooms were cell like and airless and the beds very uncomfortable. There is nothing about this place that we could recommend other than its closeness to the beach and some very good eateries. Don't go there.

Room tip: cant reccomend this place
Date of stay: November 2019
3  Thank DingleyDave
factor12, Owner at Sails On Horseshoe, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2019

There seems to be some misunderstanding. Firstly, Sails is easy to find. You catch the Horseshoe Bay bus at the ferry terminal (a bus meets every ferry), it takes 10 minutes to get here and a two minute walk back along the beach to Sails.
Unit 4 is all first floor not ground floor. Unit 3 is all ground floor. Both are beachfront. We do hold unit 3 for guests if they request because they cannot climb stairs.
Kathy was in the middle of dealing with another matter which is why she left me, Phil, to deal with the situation and we were not rude or offhand.
The bedrooms are a standard size and in the five years we have been here, no-one has said that the bedrooms are too small. All bedrooms have an air-conditioner with two in the living area and windows that open. How can it be airless?

Reviewed 22 November 2019

Good location, bad everything else. If you only need a good location and you dont care about everything else, its a great place. From the moment i stood in that place i regret about not spending some more money. The woman who i believe owns the hotel “kathy” is despicable. She smells bad and her foot nails are longer than the recordguiness’s, she is rude and implolite Just because im latinamerican and she is beyond racist.
I ended up Leaving the “hotel” because of her.
DONT GO!

Date of stay: October 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Neripumpido