All reviews the pub red lion ground coffee top floor no lift twin room old coaching inn bottled water rooms were spotless excellent shower main bar staff were really friendly an excellent meal good nights sleep proper coffee stay there again the owner
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

Nice hotel above the pub, rooms were spotless and food in the bar area was really good. Breakfast was also really good as well. If you are going to bakewell on a Saturday and the weather is nice I would go early as it’s really busy and you might struggle to park. Hotel does have parking permits tho

Stayed: August 2018
Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

I don't usually write reviews as in all honesty I've never felt the need to, however this time I feel let down by the trip advisor community. So as I walked into the venue I felt judged by not only the locals but the staff which made me feel a little easy.. albeit once speaking with the bar maid all was swell. The overall decor reminds me some what of squatters HQ, damaged walls, worn carpets, dark and dingy lighting throughout. Now up to the room, the room it seems that everyone gets put in, number 6. I will give it them, it was clean. The bed sheets were clean and smelt fresh which is always a bonus... The bathroom, well I'm a 44inch chest so a little broad shouldered you could say. You have to have the door open to be able to fit on the toilet.. luckily I was a sole occupant. As stated on the review title I must say the bed was very comfy, that is the only reason I am giving this a two star.

Dinner time, now I work for a company where recycling is at the forefront of everything we do... but I must bring this my office as I was very surprised to see old tires being used in the form of calmari. I now know what it was like to chew on a leather strap whilst in pain during the dark ages.

Breakfast, no signs or direction was given as to where to go so I only assumed it was where I had dinner... i only found it wasn't when I walked across the yard to find a guy in a glorified shed as a kitchen to hand back the key and say forget it... but you know man's gotta eat. So the full English comes, and I thought Kim jon un had visited the peaks to nuke the beans. Jesus Christ that was hot. At least the microwave has done it's job.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 March 2018

They really are. All of them, chef included, and particularly April. Could not be more helpful.
Wirksworth is a gem and the second floor rooms overlooking the market place give a great view and a sense of being right in the centre of things. With snow on the ground my room was warm and comfortable. The beds are supportive and comfortable. Tea and coffee are there and replenished daily.
Breakfast is generous, a great choice for cooked breakfasters. This is taken in the Firkin, the smaller cosy bar. The main bar is OK with a nice choice of beers for later in the day!
This is a working town with a history of lead mines and stone quarries so don't expect the ultimate in sophistication but enjoy the decency of it all. Some may complain that the main stairway needs a fresher look but I say just enjoy the superb stairwell with its cantilevered steps and original iron handrail. A tribute to local skills!

Room Tip: Go for a view over the market place
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2018

We stayed in a familly room 1 Double 1 Bunk bed. Room was a nice size, clean decent location. Hotel provided good quality coffee toiletories etc. On the down side the whole hotel could do with a refresh, appreceate its an old coaching inn but it is startuing to look a bit tatty and felt a bit damp. People in teh bar and restraunt were nice, Breakfast was fresh and hot. Not worth £100 a night

Stayed: January 2018
2  Thank teifion h
Reviewed 12 January 2018

This has to be the worst run hotel we have EVER stayed at.
Arriiving at the hotel on the 27th December around midday to find a sign stating ‘Closed all day’. Luckily there was a lovely lady from housekeeping just locking up, she asked us if we had an email off the manager/owner (which we hadn’t!). Apparently he should have let us know that the hotel was closed all day as the staff were having their Christmas party at another venue, so we were unable to eat or drink at the hotel. This was something he failed to tell me when I rang up and booked at the beginning of November. We were so grateful to the lady for checking us in and showing us to our room. I felt sorry for the other guests which were yet to arrive...how on earth would they check in?
Later on that evening we had heard that the other guests had to go to the local pub and speak to the lady behind the bar and ask how to check in as no-one was answering the hotel phone!
The room we stayed in was great, nice view of the square, really warm, clean with a super comfy bed. Shower room could have been designed better, toilet was so close to the wall sidesaddle was the only option!
Check out was equally as embarrassing, nobody around and no sign of the breakfast we had paid for.
Total shambles, which is such a shame for such a grand building in such a fantastic place. We love Wirksworth and will continue to visit but will certainly stay elsewhere in future!
Manager was contacted but no reply - no shock there really!

Stayed: December 2017