The Corner House Bed & Breakfast
US$124
The Sleepwell Inn(Workington)
US$139
US$173
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsb bderwent roombiscuitsroll top bathfluffy towelsbike rideliving roomwarm welcomeattention to detailcomfortable bedtown centrecooked breakfastguest loungetop marksa great staywelcoming hostsfree wifi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This B&B was one of the best myself and partner had stayed. The proprietors Leisa and David were really friendly and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble and it was lovely, clean and warm. The breakfasts were superb, Definitely without a doubt be staying here again; they have done a marvellous job. Gold stars for making this such a great stay. Jane and Russ

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
leisa43, Owner at The Corner House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you Jane & Russ for you wonderful words, Dave and I are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us here at The Corner House and we look forward to you returning in the future.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

We have stayed here a number of times and have always found the hosts very welcoming, the accommodation warm, clean and with every requisite one would need. Breakfast is always freshly cooked and plentiful. Please don't be put off by the recent poor reviews. This really is THE BEST B&B IN WHITEHAVEN and we have tried most of them over the years.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
leisa43, Owner at The Corner House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2018

Thank you Rose for your kind review, we always try to welcome every guest with a warm welcome and a smile.
We are so pleased you enjoy your stays with us and we very much look forward to your future visits, it restores our faith in people when we get complimented on what we do as we try our very best for all guests.
See you and Andrew again very soon.

Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

What a great place, welcomed by Liesa and Dave when we arrived, promptly shown to our rooms which were fabulous. Beautifully laid out and an incredible shower in the lovely en suit-we had the Derwent room . Tea,coffee,biscuits,a bottle of water,chocolates on the courtesy tray. Comfortable beds, I don't know how anyone could say the Corner House is cold,it was toasty in the room and a pleasant temperature throughout the public rooms. Excellent breakfast,nothing too much trouble for the hosts. Free parking and good WiFi. We all really enjoyed our stay and when we are back up that way,rugby or not,we would definitely stay again.
Thanks to you both for a great stay at an excellent price.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gareth H
leisa43, Owner at The Corner House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

Thank you for your review. It was nice to meet you and look forward to see you again on your next visit to Whitehaven.

Reviewed 27 December 2017

There was no misunderstanding when Mrs Taylor mentioned how cold The Corner House was during my 4 night stay. I live in a lovely, warm house, and, in fact, cannot stand being cold indoors.
I had to sleep with two sweaters on. The heating was promised "adjustment" (proving in itself that it needed to be better). The duvet was a thin, summer one. It was warmer in the Catholic Abbey where I attended Sunday Mass!
There is no double glazing and condensation was visible on my bedroom window.
On the final morning I was waiting in the guests' lounge for my taxi. I then was wearing THREE sweaters - so cold it was. I have had a bad cold ever since, spoiling my Christmas, which is why I am writing. Their boiler system is supposed to be of the highest standard: I am not doubting that, but boilers can be turned down as well as up - and the boiler was not in tune with the freezing cold!
The only time to visit The Corner House at Whitehaven would be In high summer!
The hosts were pleasant and the breakfast good. But they cannot possibly say that their premises are warm - they are categorically NOT!!
(Right Reverend) Anthony Earl-Williams

Room Tip: don't visit when the weather is cold. Not spite - truth. I'm still angry, having suffered flu ever since. The COLD was horrible.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank anthonyearlwilliams
leisa43, Owner at The Corner House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2017

It is a shame to respond to a second review by this guest and have to reiterate points made in my previous response.
The guest did not make us aware of any heating issues other than the one time after particular cold night in Whitehaven (its winter in the north of England). The guest spent most the daytime in the guest lounge and if they had made us aware that 20 degrees C (standard house temp) what not warm enough, we would have increased heating throughout the property, as we alway try our best to make guest stays pleasurable. Having spoken with the guest many times during the stay and none of this was mentioned they left a review in our guest book "Thoroughly enjoyed my stay but Whitehaven is cold!! It has been a pleasure to meet you both". This contradicts what they now feel is a problem with our house and feel they need to share this with the world.
We care passionately about our home and business and would not respond if we didn't care. We take all negative comments personally and do not like being bullied by multiple reviews.

Reviewed 19 December 2017

I have stayed at The Corner House several times as have my brother and sister, and every time we have had a lovely time. Over the years I have stayed at various places in Whitehaven, and this is definitely the best. I also think Leisa and Dave go out of their way to be helpful and welcoming, and to chat to their guests.
The rooms are very comfy, and clean. This time I stayed in Grasmere which is a lovely single room and was very warm (as was the whole house - I feel I need to add this having read the reviews where people were saying it was cold. This has NEVER been my experience) .
The bathroom unlike the other rooms isn't en-suite. i knew this was the case and was happy about this. I think it's a lovely touch that they provide a dressing gown and slippers to walk the few steps across the corridor to use it. I was the only person using this bathroom with my own key, and it was as big as my very adequate size bedroom (and much bigger than my bathroom at home).
The beds are very comfy, you have TV in your room, Tea and Coffee Facilities, Hairdryer in all the rooms, and an alarm clock. They provide a lovely breakfast, and will always work if you have food allergies or intolerances.
I think Leisa and Dave go over and above for their guests. I would thoroughly recommend it if you are looking for a place to stay in Whitehaven.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
leisa43, Owner at The Corner House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2017

Thank you for your kind review.
It has been a difficult 2017 for us and its only reviews like yours that restores our faith in humanity and helps us to remember all those wonderful guests we have seen over the years. Its lovely to be recognised that we always try our very best to ensure a comfortable and quality stay at The Corner House. Bless you.