US$163
1692 Wasdale(Gosforth)
The Globe Inn(Gosforth)
Red Admiral Inn(Gosforth)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsroll top bathfour posteron arrivalopen firesaturday eveningwarm welcomeowners and staffwest cumbrialake districtfriendly hotelwould recommend this hotel to anyoneboth morningsking size roomrelaxed atmospheremy partnerlovely roomfrom start to finish
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I booked Westlakes due to its reviews and proximity to Seascale as I was riding the C2C in a day event.

The welcome was efficient and friendly from Diana and they had other riders staying so had opened up their conference room to accommodate people’s bikes which was a nice touch. They had also prepared individual breakfast bags with a sandwich, crisps, apple and water. I would say that if not offering a cooked breakfast due to the time of departure which I understand then they should either discount the room or offer a bed only rate.

My room was number 8 which is well appointed and had a lovely rural view. There was tea and coffee facilities, shower only and they supply shampoo, soap and shower gel. The biggest issue with the room was the bed. It was tiny!! Not to bad width ways but in the length. I am only 5’9” and my feet hung off the bottom and it was also very uncomfortable which resulted in me getting no sleep. Not ideal before riding 150 miles to Whitby.

I can’t comment on the food as didn’t eat any. Be aware that the bar stops serving at 11pm as well.

So in summary nice room, good location friendly staff but awful bed and a bit overpriced at £120 for one night of no sleep and no hot breakfast.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Debra A, Owner at Westlakes Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Steven

Thank you for taking time out of your cycling day to leave a review.

I am really sorry that you didn't sleep well in Room 8 - we have never had a complaint before on either the size of the bed (which is 4 foot and usual length) or the comfort.

With regards to the time of the bar closing, all our residents were doing the Coast 2 Coast and therefore had gone to bed early, but we did keep the bar open for you until 12 midnight, but when you hadn't come back down to the bar at midnight, we did close.
I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

All of our tariffs are for bed and breakfast and we didn't know until you arrived at 10.30pm that you didn't want a cooked breakfast, but we did give you a packed breakfast to take with you as you were leaving at the very early time of 5am?

The coast to coast is an annual event and we do try to accommodate the unusual needs of our guests, but I am so sorry that we didn't achieve this totally with yourself.

I do however, hope that you had a superb day and that you achieved your goal.

Kind regards

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Being an ex Cumbrian, I've had a previous experience of Westlakes (Chris and I had our engagement party there 28 years ago). So, when we had to visit Cumbria for a very sad occasion in April, we thought .... Westlakes!. As the family had to travel from Shropshire, Northern Ireland and America, we booked 7 rooms for two nights. What a wonderful stay. The Owners and their staff were very pleasant and courteous, the rooms were outstanding (very clean, comfortable and beautifully decorated) and the food was amazing! The relaxed atmosphere, the beautiful surroundings and friendly staff made a very painful visit a lot less painful. We will be going back :)

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Debra A, Owner at Westlakes Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi PandCMac.

Thank you for choosing Westlakes after all that time - and we are so pleased that you weren't disappointed. I know it was a difficult time for everyone, but we are delighted that we made the sad occasion much less painful.

We are looking forward to seeing you again and hopefully it will be under much less painful circumstances.

Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

Westlakes was a really lovely place to stay, and the staff couldn’t have done more to make it enjoyable. Great conference facilities as well. Highly recommmended. Ps: best millionaire shortbread I’ve had in a long time!!!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Debra A, Owner at Westlakes Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2018

Hi Sam

Thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass your messages on to the staff - including the Ian (the chef) about his millionaire shortbread!!

We hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 June 2018

Had a wonderful stay at this hotel to celebrate my husband's 'special' birthday in April 2018. An absolutely beautiful hotel with wonderful food and service. I couldn't recommend it more, it really is a hidden gem. The hotel is well away from the hustle and bustle of the Lake District resorts, but still close enough to visit then with ease. The room we had the biggest, most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. The decor in the hotel is so lovely and calming that I wanted to go home and redecorate my entire house. We really enjoyed the dinner and the breakfast was fantastic too. Packed lunches were such good value compared to most hotels.
Overall, it was and outstanding stay and I can't wait to go again.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Debra A, Owner at Westlakes Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2018

Hi LizB.

Wow!! Thank you so much for such a fantastic review on your stay with us in April. We work hard to make the hotel a lovely relaxing place for guests to enjoy. It is so lovely when we get such positive feedback - it makes it all worthwhile.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

Stayed at the west lakes hotel and had a lovely relaxing stay. On arrival Debra made us a cup of tea as we had a 4 hour drive and were exhausted. We were showed 2 rooms to choose from but settled for a smaller king room rather than a four poster. The room was adequate for us, bathroom was small but this was pointed out to us and we didn't mind. The hotel itself was very clean and comfortable. The host's Debra and Geoff were so attentive and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. Would definitely recommend.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Debra A, Owner at Westlakes Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2018

Hi ChristineStevens35. Thank you so much for choosing Westlakes and for leaving such a lovely review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we thoroughly enjoyed looking after you both.

We hope that if you visit the area again, that you will choose to stay with us again.