“Stephen carter ”

The Wheatsheaf
Ranked #9 of 81 Restaurants in Sandbach
Price range: US$13 - US$26
Cuisines: British
Description: A former coaching inn built in 1890, The Wheatsheaf Hotel in Hightown, Sandbach has been acquired by The Pear Family, who own Pecks Restaurant in Congleton. The Pears have breathed new life into the historic building. Following an extensive refurbishment and restoration, The Wheatsheaf in Sandbach has become 'A Quintessentially British Gastropub'. We aim to make the Wheatsheaf your regular haunt, appreciated for outstanding food quality, great beers, wines, cocktails, friendly engaging service, and perhaps most importantly, superb value for
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

To start there is nothing wrong with the food.
We revisited on the off chance as the last time the waitress forgot our order then lied and after a hour and a half the food came - we didn't pay for the food that night but we said we would come again as everyone makes a mistake.
Tonight on the off chance we called in for tea. The restaurant was empty and we were seated by the door, they then seated another couple next to us (the whole place and seat them next to us ?)
Again we had to wait for a waitress to take our drinks order.
With the restaurant being empty I would have thought the starters wouldn't take long - over 30mins it turned up.
When the mains turned up the usually any sauces which I said red please (I'm still waiting)
The waitress did come over and ask how the meal was - which was lovely
It's the rest - we have given you another chance and we will not be back
Sorry

1  Thank Stephen C

Reviewed 29 March 2018

smart new gastro pub with rooms. Very modern pub large covered outside eating area very well done inside large free carpark at the rear. a extensive menu.Plus a daily specials menu.We had a very good meal from the daily specials. On the day we visited it was very busy but we were seated and served promptly on other tables there was some lovely meals served. There is also a range of cask beers

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

We visited with friends having heard that the restaurant was worth eating in. Being honest it was awful and the worst meal I had eaten for some time. It was very over-priced and the portion sizes were on the small side. Scallops at £9 for three ten piece size portions were not that great in flavour. A fillet steak at nearly £30 that was just about ok. Our friends had a main course chicken dish with hardly any chicken and a major lack of the potatoes stated on the menu. They got the equivalent of about 2 new potatoes. It was like a starter to quote one of our party. If they are going to charge prices like this then the food has to be very good. On the evening we visited it was not. I will not be going back.

Jake P, General Manager at The Wheatsheaf, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

Hello,

Thanks for reviewing us on Trip Advisor.

We do not usually have comments about the size of our dishes, I wish you had told us on the evening as this could have been easily rectified for you. Please contact me at jake@wheatsheafsandbach.co.uk so that we can talk about this further.

Thanks

Reviewed 23 March 2018

We bought our mum here for a treat. The service was really excellent - very attentive throughout. The tea was gorgeous - sandwiches, sausage roll, variety of cakes, scone/cream/jam - we couldn’t eat it all but they packed up what we couldn’t manage to take home! Was £15 pp so good value compared to hotels like Crewe hall/rookery hall and the atmosphere is still very good.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

The Wheatsheaf is beautifully decorated and has a good ambience. However, I was very disappointed with the food choice on the menu. Having previously visited as a family we have been spoilt for choice. I ordered a Wheatsheaf bale which looks quite impressive but the burger itself was very dry and tasted like it had been left under a hot plate. The other members of my family had the belly pork with a small amount of mash and vegetables. Unfortunately they could not eat the mash due the amount of mustard in it.
We had wine with our food and this was just plonked onto the table in an ice bucket without a napkin to catch the drips and not poured into our glasses. Also, when served with a coke the waitress stretched over another member of our party who was eating instead of going around the back (they were at the end of the table so this was not due to the lack of space).
Unfortunately, as a family we will probably try elsewhere next time we meet up as the staff really need training properly and the menu needs improving. Shame because we have always enjoyed our visits here.

1  Thank Tat52

Hello,

Thanks for reviewing us on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that you did not find the menu to be satisfying. We are currently in development of our new Summer menu and would love your input on some of our proposed dishes as you have dined with us for some time now. Please contact me at jake@wheatsheafsandbach.co.uk, I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you.

In regards to the service, what you mention is very unlike our standards and it leads me to believe that you may have been served by one of our new team members. If you could give me some more information on the email address above so that I can address it with them then that would be great.

Thanks