“Day out at Waddeson Manor”
Review of Waddesdon Manor

Waddesdon Manor
Book In Advance
More Info
US$290,25*
and up
Waddesdon Manor - A Rothshild French Chateau...
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Waddesdon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Surrounded by views of Oxfordshire, the Chilterns Hills, the Vale of Aylesbury and just a train ride away from London, Waddesdon Manor, is an ideal place for relaxing with family and friends. Explore this French Renaissance-style chateau built by Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild in 1874 to entertain the fashionable world and to house his collection of fine art. We are continuing the tradition today of entertainment and hospitality with events celebrating food and wine, and opportunities for you to explore our history, collections and gardens through changing exhibitions and special interest days. Historic aviary with zoological collection of endangered birds. Changing opening hours across the seasons. Jan-Mar, Sat-Sun only 11am-4pm Apr-Oct, Wed-Sun 10am-5pm Nov-Dec, Wed-Sun 11am-6pm.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Baby buggy parking, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

"My husband and I had a lovely day out at Waddeston Manor and were very impressed with the oppulence of the building and contents. The surrounding gardens are just stunning to look at and there are some lovely walks. It is impossible to cram everything into one visit, I think we will have to go back at some stage to see the bits we have missed"

WaddesdonManor, Marketing at Waddesdon Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for your 5 star rating of your visit to Waddesdon, so glad you enjoyed your day. Hopefully we can welcome you back soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (2 638)
All reviews
"minute walk"
in 31 reviews

26 - 30 of 2 638 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We have visited this place last week. It is nice with beautiful park. However I felt mostly like in John Sloane Museum which is also over-packed with stuff.
The Manor restaurant is quite expensive and offers sitting by dirty tables.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we will pass on your comments to the relevant managers. Was there anything we could to do to achieve a 5 star rating on your next visit?

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I’m bitterly disappointed with the complete lack of customer service we experienced during afternoon tea last Sunday (17 Jun) and the total lack of response to the email I sent a week ago to the official feedback address despite the promise of a response within a five days, so I’ve decided to publish the email as a review, please see below.

I felt the need to let you know how bitterly disappointed my family and I were with our afternoon tea today. We had pre-booked and pre-paid for afternoon tea in the restaurant at 12 for 2 adults and 2 children. We were greeted and seated ok but I’m afraid that’s the only positive thing I can say about the service. The waiter explained our options regarding drinks so we ordered, he then asked if we were happy with the food. I asked to swap out both the egg mayonnaise and cucumber sandwiches for any other filling as I strongly dislike both, he agreed however when our food arrived instead of swapping them out like I’d asked, they were just removed with nothing to replace them, given the price I found this unacceptable. My husband had opted for the gentleman’s afternoon tea but there just simply wasn’t enough food, in all honesty I believe the children’s had substantially more food, which was lucky as he was able to fill up on their leftovers. Again, given the gentleman’s afternoon tea was the most expensive this is completely unacceptable. On arrival we were told that the tea was unlimited which is ironic because after being completely ignored for the 55 minutes we had been seated it took us 4 attempts to grab the attention of a waitress to order a second drink. The only time we were asked if we were ok for drinks was as we were packing up and leaving. Had the restaurant been busy I would’ve understood but it wasn’t even half filled. We had decided to forgo the concessions outside in favour of a special experience in the restaurant, with hindsight they would have been the better option as we would have felt like valued customers, been fed enough and had to pay considerably less. Today was supposed to be a special celebration of Father’s Day, however our experience of the restaurant fell way below our expectations and as such our celebration was most certainly spoilt. As NT members we visit a lot, suffice to say we won’t be back to the restaurant anytime soon.

1  Thank Kristal32
WaddesdonManor, Marketing at Waddesdon Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Kristal, we are sorry to hear that you had a disappointing experience on Father's Day. We did reply two days after receiving your initial email, we have just forwarded our reply again. Hopefully you have now received contact details of our Catering Manager who is very keen to make amends. Do let us know if you haven’t received a second email from us.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

There is lots to see and do at this National Trust property. Get there early as it gets busy. The entrance fee for house and gardens is £22 for non members and free for members. The house is a pleasant and not too strenuous 15-20 minute walk from the car park along a woodchip path and there is a free shuttle bus service stopping at North Fountain (for the house) then Stables. The grounds open at 10am and the house at 11am. We were a little disappointed as we had tickets for the house but due to our (not very large) bags being deemed too large, we didn't feel comfortable leaving them at the bag drop, which is a set of racking plus attendant. I'm sure it's perfectly safe but we would have felt more comfortable with lockers. There was plenty to see in the gardens to keep us occupied for several hours; partere garden at the rear of the house, rose garden, aviary with endangered birds from Asia and wine cellar. We walked down to the Stables area and enjoyed reasonably priced tea and cake in the courtyard. There were various places to purchase food and refreshments around the grounds. On the way to the Stables area is a woodland playground for children. Next to the house is a restaurant, wine shop and Manor shop, which sells some different products that I had not seen before. The Power House opposite the shop shows several short films (5-10 minutes each) about the place, which are interesting, especially the one about the gardens and how many plants are grown and planted each year. We'll return at some point to visit the house.

1  Thank PandyPandora

Thank you for your 5 star review. I'm sorry that you did not feel comfortable leaving your bags, and did not enter the house as a result, we will pass on your feedback about lockers. The bags are stored with a ticket system, so only you could collect your bag. It sounds like you had a great day, and saw all of the grounds. Hopefully you'll plan a return visit to enter the house.