Reviews (8 664)
5 398
2 316
5 398
2 316
All reviews tapas restaurant italian guests la selva royal grill lunch buffet margarita bar angel fish vera club jungle setting playa del carmen honeymoon package pool bar white sand usa transfers pillow menu junior suite entertainment staff
859 - 864 of 8 664 reviews
Reviewed 1 July 2017

totally relaxing. We were an adult family of 11 and everyone one of us thoroughly enjoyed the week at Catalonia. Zero complaints from any of us. We loved the quietness of the resort (No Kids), but yet the engaging fun attitude of the staff. The resort was booked solid, but never felt crowded anywhere we went. Plenty of loungers at the pool and at the beach. BeLoved may have been a bit overrated, but still a nice option.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank jeffreybA8920BZ
Andrea F, Director General at Catalonia Royal Tulum Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2017

Dear Jeffrey,

Thank you for your kind opinion. We value your comments very much for they encourage our staff to keep working hard on maintain the relaxing and peaceful environment in our Resort. Is a honor to us to have served you and look forward to future visits.

Reviewed 30 June 2017

We were two American couples in our mid 50's...we had an absolute blast! We both booked the Honeymoon packages, the rooms are okay, nothing fancy but certainly fine. The room was clean and spacious enough for two people. If I stay here again I am not sure I would book the Honeymoon package but I would definitely upgrade to Privilege. Loved everything about this small resort; room location, beautiful beach, restaurants, great food, fun evening shows, romantic environment, gracious staff , resort cleanliness and the peace and quiet! My advice is to spend a little more and receive the upgrade, you will not be sorry. This was my fifth all inclusive in Cancun and my favorite by far! We did not pay to watch the evening show at the theatre/dinner show but really wish we had. If we return this is something I would not hesitate in paying for. We noticed the attention to some Europeans but it did not bother me in any way....I was glad we weren't being bothered by anyone! We did accidently happen upon the "secret theatre" for Spanish/Italian speaking quests which is held in a semi-hidden theatre. I would prefer the resort be honest instead of secretive about these 'special' performances. I was grateful for the American music performances by the pool each evening. A few small things bothered us but not enough for all four of us to feel it was the best vacation ever! Before arriving at the Catalonia Royal Tulum I read many reviews and became concerned but everything was terrific! All of the negative things you read are far out weighed by the positive! We were all very sorry to see our seven day vacation end! 10 days would be just perfect for me!

2  Thank GMA612014
Andrea F, Director General at Catalonia Royal Tulum Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2017

Dear guest,

We appreciate your very kind comments and the time to share about your experience at our Resort. There´s nothing more rewarding than knowing that you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed your vacation to the fullest. Please do not feel like you´ve been let out, there are is no secret theatre or secret events, it must have been a special event of the external agency Veratour organized for their costumers. Overall we look forward to see you again to enjoy another great vacation with us.

Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

14 nights at this wonderful hotel. Friendly staff excellent food.. beach is amazing fabulous walk to beach. Our room was so nice too. We did have mixed weather lots of rain and clouds but did not ruin our holiday. I we are returning next year for sure . Definitely my favourite hotel I've visited.

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony N
Andrea F, Director de Recepción at Catalonia Royal Tulum Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2017

Dear Anthony,

Thank you so much for your time to tell us abour your visit. We are very pleased to learn your stay was nice and you´re a happy guest with our service and the Resort facilities. We hope to see you soon for another great vacation!

Best regards,

Reviewed 28 June 2017

Like most all-inclusive resorts, there are good and bad points with CRT. I will concentrate on the good and just briefly note the bad – most of which, to be honest, wasn’t really within the control of the hotel. My husband and I were there for 2 weeks from 11 June (returning on 25 June).

To start at the start, the welcome was lovely although you do have the usual “upgrade package” talk to get through. It would have cost us an additional $1000 to upgrade – we decided against it and to be honest, we were really glad we did. The room we had was beautiful and had everything we needed (well, nearly everything – see bad bits below) and the separate section of the beach which you get as a privileged customer wasn’t really private. Also, the reviews of the “privileged” restaurant B-Loved, weren’t great from those I spoke with. There are 6 “blocks” and we were in block D – Luna.

The place itself is beautiful. The setting is wonderful and it is like being in the rainforest on the beach. The coatis, birds (and the resident cat) and all the other animals just added to the enjoyment of our holiday (although the birds not so much as they usually started singing at around 4am most mornings!). Although there are signs saying not to feed the animals, I have to confess to completely ignoring this. We even had the entire family of coatis on our balcony at one point which was just amazing (and if I can work out how to upload the video, I will post it). The coatis also just had babies which were too adorable for words.

The pool area was lush. There are oodles of loungers and we never had any issue finding a place – although you still have the old die-hards who run down before breakfast and throw their towel on the best spots (despite being told not to!). Similarly the beach had an abundance of loungers – too many in my opinion which sort of spoiled the beach and we didn’t spend much time there – mainly because the pool area was so lovely. The staff at the pool are amazing and I think special mention has to be made of Aurora who was so attentive. But all of the staff are really really lovely. Always acknowledging you and making sure you have everything you need.

There are 7 restaurants – buffet, Spanish Tapas, Italian, Mexican, pool area snack restaurant, Chinese and Steak House. We stuck to the buffet, Italian, Steak House and pool area snacks. I can’t comment on the other restaurants other than to say that we didn’t go because the information we got from others was not good. The steak house was great although somewhat limited in menu, the Italian the same – good food but limited choice. The buffet was always good and I think the only thing I would say is that after 2 weeks I was kind of sick of it because it was the same choices – although it is important to note there is lots of choice. The little pool area snack place was truly awful. To continue the wonderful standards of this amazing hotel, I think this needs overhauled dramatically. The food was always, always cold – without exception. It might be better to make this a less formal snack area. At breakfast, the buffet was always lovely and again special mention to Guadalope for her amazing omelettes which I enjoyed every single day because they were so good. For all the restaurants, I have to mention Dulce who just appeared to be everywhere all the time – I don’t think the girl ever stopped and she was so helpful.

Entertainment is where I feel Catalonia is a bit of a let down. We didn’t do the Rauxa show as it wasn’t our thing (it’s a bit burlesque which although not a prude, it’s not my cup of tea and it was expensive as it’s not included). The other entertainment in the evening was just okay. And sometimes less than okay. It is a sort of make-shift stage down at the pool area (so on the rainy nights, was transferred up to the main reception). I think for people staying there for 2 weeks, it’s just monotonous. Although I am sure it is difficult to organise lots of entertainment, I think maybe a 2 or 4 week cycle would work better rather than the same thing every week. The daytime poolside entertainment was fine if you were under 30 – which we’re not – but special mention to Brenda who was such a joy and Rosa who just made me laugh every day.

I also want to mention Antonio because he was really such a special character. I couldn’t really work out the whole Exclusive Traveller Club thing (except I had read the reviews and wanted to steer well clear!) and Antonio appeared to work at that part of the hotel but he was so helpful all of the time. I genuinely think he should be a shift manager or responsible for Customer relations. All of the staff were lovely and we did not meet a single person who was not absolutely and totally courteous at all times, but Antonio always went above and beyond. And he loves his job – every time he spoke about working at the hotel, he spoke with such pride and it was a joy to meet him.

Other little nice things – the cocktail bar was just great for relaxing and Claudia was by far the best person you could ever meet. I am not sure whether she just had a great memory or we drank too much, but she always remembered our drinks and we never had to ask for a replacement as she replaced them as soon as they were empty. There is a little tea/coffee and snack area in the foyer which is nice to sit at during the day if you want to get out of the sun for a while and there are sandwiches, fruit and cakes to enjoy. The entire complex is so clean and tidy and the staff who tend the rooms are so lovely - and my goodness are they thorough. We were anxious that we would feel like the poor relations if we didn’t upgrade but needn’t have worried as everyone was treated the same all the time. Similarly, we were only asked once about joining the Traveller Club and were never hounded which had been another worry from some of the previous reviews.

And so a small note on some of the bad points – although every room has a balcony, it is a bit of a wasted space as there is no direct sunlight due to the dense trees so we didn’t once use it despite always sitting out in the evening on other holidays. So, if like us, you like to wash some clothes and dry them, then use the laundry service because there is absolutely no way anything will dry in the terrace. There is an antiquated coffee machine in the room which was useless – it really would be better to have a standard hospitality tray with a kettle and tea/coffee. There were times that I thought I was on an 18-30 holiday as the pool area because was very noisy with drinking games and pool volleyball (also usually with tequila). We are in our mid to late 40s so the constant “woohoos” and “yeehas” were a bit annoying – but of course, this is not in the control of the hotel. The shop in the foyer was extremely annoying as despite saying they take cash, they never had any change (during the 5 visits I made there) so everything had to be charged to the room. The first week we were there, our room was lovely and quiet and I thought the soundproofing must be first class. Not so. On the second week, we had someone who insisted on doing a full work out at 7am banging around (despite there being a gym on site), and having 2 newly married couples either side of us …. well, you can probably imagine! The little mini bar in the room was a bit of a disappointment as it only had only soft drinks or 2 beers. The only way to get other drinks was to call room service which I just wouldn’t do. Maybe a couple of miniatures of vodka, rum or tequila would be a good idea. And finally, a bad point and a good point – the wall mounted hair dryer was defective and shot out a flame which burned my hair. Reception addressed it immediately – and I mean they addressed it. By the time we got back from the pool, the hair dryer had been removed and the wall retiled to cover the hole – and they gave me a standard hair dryer to use during my stay.

And so to finish off, all in all, we had a fabulous time. We wouldn’t go back as it was just a bit too “young” for us but we would definitely recommend it to friends – if nothing else, for the excellent customer service and attention to detail. And please remember to tip – yes, it’s an all-inclusive holiday but the staff work so darn hard. As a guide, we left $5 a day for the maid, left $5 at the end of every meal and paid $1 for a round of drinks (which sometimes was an expensive day!!).

Room tip: Don't upgrade - you get great service regardless.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Evonne08
Andrea F, Director General at Catalonia Royal Tulum Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2017

Dear guest,

We appreciate your very well detailed review regarding your experience during your stay with us. Thank you for the highlight on the excellente service from our staff, we´ll share with them your kind comments for their encouragement. We re avery pleased to learn that your overal visit was nice and enjoyed most of the resort. Your thoughts and sincere remarks give us very important information on the points we can improve for out future guests and to being them the best quality service. Thanks again for your preference.

Reviewed 27 June 2017

Loved staying here! The staff, facilities, entertainment, and food were amazing! The resort was a great place for our adult family to make memories to last a lifetime. Would definitely recommend to friends!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank janiceorrilz
Andrea F, Director General at Catalonia Royal Tulum Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing such wonderful comments, is a pleasure to us to bring our guests beautiful and memorable experiences and we hope to have the opportunity to serve your family and friends again.