All reviews yal ku lagoon half moon bay stayed two nights walking distance swim with turtles coffee maker fish pedro ac pesos condo cenote fridge collectivo
Reviewed 28 February 2018

Hotel Que Onda is at the north end of Half Moon Bay, right next to Yal Ku lagoon. The hotel is very small and quite a bargain in this age of expensive hotels and resorts. The room where we stayed was very basic and clean. We opted for the least expensive room as we we waiting to move into a condo that we had just purchased.
We were impressed with the balcony and that the room overlooked the pool.

Food was very good in the restaurant.

This little hotel is quite a gem and will thrill anyone who wants a budget friendly stay in Akumal.

Date of stay: October 2017
Reviewed 20 February 2018

With, I think, only 4 or 5 rooms/suites you'll feel really special at Que Onda. Had the place to ourselves in off season with wonderful hosts. Super clean & functional. Was cool enough at night to sleep with only fan, lush flora and the sweet Quintana air. New, quiet air conditioner when we needed it for afternoon nap. Restaurant was great replete with original art wall & local and tourist food. Great for families with the smaller pool and limited cars. Walking distance to the wonderful Yal-Ku lagoon for the best snorkeling on the mainland. Tons of placid fish. Drift and watch carefully as you get toward the open water for rays & turtles. Go early for best viewing also birds & lizards. Bit of a windy drive into town but worth it. Ask for directions to turtles on the beaches in town. Don't give in to renting life vests unless you want them. Try Buena Vida restaurant on the way to Akumal, won't be disappointed. Small store in town. Drive to many nearby natural wonder inc. cenotes.

Room tip: If you want fresh air at night, check wind direction. Otherwise, all are fine.
Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2018

I spent 8 days in a luxury villa in Akumal with my family. Then I spent an additional 5 days alone in this nice little hotel. It had the basics, coffee maker, fridge and big beach towels. It's a little old and dated, but clean, comfy and quite reasonable. They had bicycles available, good breakfasts, dinners and a well stocked bar. I didn't use the pool, but the young people who did had so much fun, a pleasure to watch.The staff were so pleasant and helpful. You couldn't fault them at all. In fact when I was leaving for the airport, Pedro's family passed me driving to town and they insisted on giving me a lift to the Collectivo, bus stop. Pedro, Damian and the whole crew were the nicest people. I felt quite secure as a solo guest. They made my stay all the better. I would definitely go back.

Room tip: I had a large single room, upstairs, with a balcony that overlooked the pool.
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank BaywoodJill
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

We stayed two nights at Que Onda during our trip to Akumal. It's definitely a bare-bones kinda hotel; do not expect any luxury if you're thinking of booking here. That said, we simply approached it as a place to rest our heads, and for that purpose it served us well. The rooms are actually cute (we stayed in number 3) and the owner is very nice.

A few things you should definitely know. They only accept cash, so prepare by having enough pesos to pay in full for your stay. Also, it's not a good location if you don't have a car; while within walking of YalKu cenote/lagoon, that's about it. If you want to swim with turtles in Akumal Bay, you have to drive to get there. You can't really even walk anywhere to get into the ocean. The hotel is on the middle of Akumal Norte, surrounded by private homes that actually sit on the water and restrict access to the beaches since they're private. You definitely need a car in my opinion.

All this said, it's super cheap and well worth the money :)

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Meghan B
Reviewed 8 April 2017

Pros:
1. Great location to snorkel in the Yal-Ku - 5 min. walking distance, so you'll be able to take rest and return afternoon with the same $14 bracelet.
2. Spacious room with pretty quiet AC, refrigerator, and coffeemaker.
3. Small pool with two hammocks and beach-chairs - charming feeling of countryside.
4. Good restaurant wit homemade linguini and tasty dishes ($10-15).

Cons:
1. No ANY doors in restroom - you can use public restroom behind the restaurant (just in case).
2. The closest sandy beach is located in the village (Acumal) - 30-35 min. walking distance. So, you can rent bike from them (100 pesos per day), walk, or rent a car.
Beachfront hotels have own beaches, though.

It's not a hotel fault, but, no snorkeling with tortillas on Acumal public beach anymore (second year in a row) - guards on kayaks were controlling the beach;

Date of stay: April 2017