Reviews (16 430)
2 094
7 976
5 093
2 094
All reviews lazy river mayan beach ice cream parlour el rancho health bar hole in the wall fish a la carte restaurants frosted glass the lion king time share beach bar water circuit quiet pool main buffet each block juice bar
3 209 - 3 214 of 16 430 reviews
Reviewed 14 September 2016

We (my wife and I) returned Saturday from a week at the Grand Sirenis. This was our fourth trip to the resort and was by far the best. Our previous trips were in 2010 - 2012. We vacationed in the Dominican Republic in the interim and decided to return to the Riviera Maya for sake of variety and a great deal through Apple Vacations. We were glad we did.

I've never taken the time to write a review previously. We are fairly easy going travelers. We expect good food, clean rooms, friendly service and a good value for our vacation dollars.

I will share honestly about our trip - as though I was sharing with a friend thinking about vacationing at the Grand Sirenis. I will say up front (in case you don't want to read everything) - we had a wonderful time and highly recommend the resort. It exceeded our expectations. We will definitely return next year. The staff made us feel special the entire trip. I can also say that the other vacationers were having a positive experience. No one we met was complaining.

Upon arrival, Mariana greeted us very warmly and gave us a welcome drink. She knew this was our fourth time at the Grand Sirenis and seemed very appreciative. Mariana called us at least four times while we were there to make sure everything was going well (which it was).

We were given a room in building 18 overlooking the pool. The room was beautiful - very clean, prepared very well. If you like striking architecture, the is the place. Housekeeping (Francisco) did a wonderful job - the room was kept spotless. We returned to our room to find fresh fruit one afternoon, a bottle of chilled champagne another afternoon and a bottle of tequila another day. We had no problems with power, always had hot water. Everything was great.

We found the food at the buffets to be excellent - always fresh, always hot, nice variety. We ate at two specialty restaurants and enjoyed them both. We found the wait staff to be very attentive and friendly throughout the entire resort. We were invited to a beach cook out on Friday and had an opportunity to meet resort management. Very nice.

The beach area has been expanded and we had no problem finding beach loungers - we got to the beach anywhere between 8 and 10. The earlier you get there, the better the selection. There is a members only section, but it's not that big. Take time to wander around the beach and you will find sections you might not realize are there. The beach area is larger than it appears. Very scenic. Take water shoes - there are rocks in the water. Bring your snorkel gear - we saw sea turtles thirty feet from the beach.

Bring an insulated mug or cup with you - it will keep your drinks colder longer than the cups provided. The bars are plentiful by the beach - the wait staff comes to you or you can get some exercise and walk over to the bar.

We didn't feel any undue pressure to purchase trips or attend any resort sales presentations. A simple "no thank you" worked just fine. We never left the resort - the Grand Sirenis makes it easy to relax and just enjoy.

We found the shows to be entertaining - it's not Broadway, but fun. There was a party on the terrace after the shows almost every night. Live music and dancing.

To top off our trip, Mariana brought us a goody bag with bananas, cookies, apples, water and chocolate milk as we waited for the airport shuttle. I was a very nice, unexpected gesture and much appreciated.

As for the room safe - we used it the entire week, but weren't charged anything.

Room Tip: Ask for a third floor room, in a building close to the beach.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Thomas D
Reviewed 14 September 2016 via mobile

We have been here now 9 days, from the day after we arrived the toilet just keeps on letting water in like its re filling constantly which is keeping us awake.we have reported this 3 times to the concierge reception and concierge, The maintainence team have been out and supposedly fixed this we have also reported this to our Thomson rep who had maintainance look at this again the problem is still here. We spent 3 days without a hairdryer as the power supply over here cant support english ones because the one in the room diddnt work which apparently was also fixed with the toilet.
The room is not what we was shown when we parted with nearly £3,000 i feel like i have been ripped off personally especially having to pay 1350 pasos for wifi and an extra cost for the safe in our room with the ongoing toilet problem we feel like we have just been pushed to the side and forgot about we have come on holiday to relax and have a good time but too tired in the day from lack of sleep.
We also paid 100 english pounds for a relaxing afternoon at the spa which was just rushed unorganized and not a "full body" massage when they do your back legs and chest which was meant to last 50 minutes well it lasted maximum 30 the a la carte restaraunts are terrible the selection of food is terrible the hot buffet self service is ok the best a la carte was japanese by far a good shiw and good food hats off th the chefs and staff in there. We will not be coming back to this resort the grounds and staff are wonderful and are happy to help but in our opinion needs a good refurbishment the rooms are basic and not what we thought we was paying for nobody has offered us a room upgrade or compensation i will not be recommending this resort to anybody.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank PeterV3410
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2016

Hi Peter V,

Many thanks for your review and for having chosen Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya for your vacation.

I am deeply sorry you could not enjoy your recent stay, this is not the usual experience we are used to offer to our guests, we always appreciate our guests' contribution, suggestions and comments which help us find out about their preferences and help us to improve our services for you and future guests, I have taken the proper notes about the areas of improvement and passed to the people in charge to apply the corrective measures.

However I truly hope you will afford us a new chance to host you in the near future and provide you a real Grand Sirenis experience and enjoy all the amenities the resort has to offer.

Carlos Batani
Assistant Manager

Reviewed 14 September 2016 via mobile

My partner and I spent 2 weeks here at the Serenis. It was our first holiday in Mexico and the Serenis was recommended by my parents who had been a couple of times. We were not disappointed at all. I read all the reviews on here prior to going and was apprehensive about going but there was no need to worry at all. We both loved every minute of it.
The food was amazing especially with the a la carte restaurants there which were amazing.
Our room was beautiful and cleaned every day with fresh towels.
From the beginning to the end of our holiday was just perfect.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jo A
Reviewed 14 September 2016

Beautiful hotel and location. Our room was stunning with a very comfortable King size bed. The beach and coves are lovely and we had the best weather at 35 degrees every day.
There are numerous a la carte restaurants and all were excellent as well as the buffet restaurants.Overall the hotel, location and staff were excellent and a beautiful holiday.
The only annoying thing was something the hotel had no control over and that was the clientele. We have always dressed for dinner and took pride in our appearances. Sadly a lot of guests just turned up in flip flops and t-shirts as if they had just come of the beach..

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise and rooms 2400 upwards are better for couples with no children
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2016

This place is diabolical.

LONG REVIEW BUT ITS THE HONEST TRUTH.
I will come across brutal but I have noting nice to say.

All these good reviews... Are you all insane or come from backgrounds where you live on streets so this is all luxury to you all. I apologise for insulting everyone but this hotel is by far the worst I've stayed at.

I'm still here, have a week left today, and all the hot water has just gone off. In the whole hotel. My wife has just come off the toilet as I'm writing this with stomach problem for the 3 time since we've been here.

The food.... Holy Christ, every single part of it sucks, you take food off the hot plate and it's cold. Even the stuff freshly out the kitchen. You have birds flying into the snack bar restaurant landing on tables picking up food and leaving their Poo on tabletops etc. They could put nets on the Windows to prevent this. Raccoons climbing into bins then idiot guest feeding them also.

The swimming pools are dangerous. In the 7 days I've been here, 3 people have had their feet sliced open by the damaged tiles at the bottom. The staff are fully aware but no repairs have been made. I wish I have taken some pictures to show the extent of it all.

The "A la carte" restaurants are rubbish. Food also served cold, we walked out of steak house without eating as what they served was solid jacket potato, steak not cooked how we requested and chicken also rubbery.
Only good food we have had is Thai.

And the chips. They are partially warm but that's all we can bare to stomach. We are on our honeymoon and surviving on chips. Shocking. It's not because we are snobby. It's just for an apparent 5* I wouldn't push it 3 stars.

Have to pay £30 per device per week for wifi. Pay extra for a safe.

Pay £170 for 2 people to go "xel-ha" today. Not told that everything there costs extra by our rep. So you go £170 lighter in your pocket and then pay extra to do any of the activities.

Only positives are the staff are very hard working, extremely friendly the grounds are beautiful and the chips are the closest thing to decent.

This is our honeymoon and will remember it all for the wrong reasons.

I could continue to rant but this exact review I am showing the rep tomorrow.
Hope you've enjoyed the read.
Strongly recommend you go to another hotel.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
25  Thank Karl N
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2016

Hi Karl N,

I want to also thank you for having taken the time to write this review, we always appreciate our guests' contribution, suggestions and comments which help us find out about their preferences and help us to improve our services for you and future guests, I have taken the proper notes about the areas of improvement and passed to the people in charge to apply the corrective measures.

This is not the regular experience we are used to offer to our clients during their holidays, however I would like to highlight some points such as the wildlife which surrounds the hotel we cannot pervert their environment and sometimes you may see them on common areas but we count with an intensive cleaning program in our entire resort which includes restaurants and buffets. The safe and internet service is shown and advised by your agency prior your arrival to the resort.

On the other hand I am glad you highlight the hardwork from our friendly staff and the grounds in our property, in case you require assistance do not hesitate in contact us at front desk or through your representative in house.

Carlos Batani