Reviews (16 463)
2 094
7 999
5 098
2 094
All reviews lazy river mayan beach ice cream parlour el rancho health bar hole in the wall fish a la carte restaurants frosted glass the lion king time share beach bar water circuit quiet pool main buffet each block juice bar
3 352 - 3 357 of 16 463 reviews
Reviewed 15 August 2016

Our 3rd visit to this resort (so I did like it before). This is not a 5* resort anymore I’d say 3 to 4 at best now. Accommodation really looking tiered and dated, however if you are prepared to shell out £12k, you could have an amazing upgrade. There is a new dolphin park on site that does add some value. Staff are still amazing and the food is OK. Crazy system for the for A la carte restaurants once you book a time you will have to wait in line, outside the door until your time, you cannot go in 5 mins early. Paying for a safe and Wi-Fi again not 5*. Not a patch on the Barut hotels in Turkey.

Room Tip: Ask for block 19 (you may have to pay)
3  Thank Paul L
Reviewed 15 August 2016

Gran Sirenis was amazing. I couldn't fault it. I highly recommend. Staff were awesome, rooms are lush, place is clean, huge variety of food, 9 a la carte restaurants (3 included every week you stay which is inclusive of your stay) - favourites were Brazilian, Steak and Japanese! Lazy river was our favourite part. If there are any bad reviews then these people are being pedantic - you get way above what you pay for! Don't go through Thomson for your days out. Go through the reps there - you get coach included with them and they discount if you go on 2 / 3 trips. I would actually recommend booking online before you go as days out are expensive. Definitely go to Coco bongo if you don't take children, well worth it! Internet is expensive, but who cares? You're on holiday, another reason not to use it. just get a Portivo bus at the end of the road. Its a 5 minute drive to Akumal beach and only 20 pesos each. There is a cafe called Turtle beach cafe. really cheap and free internet!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nikita T
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant MAanger at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2016

Hi Nikita T,

Many thanks for your excellent review and for having chosen Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya for your vacation. We always appreciate our guests' contribution, suggestions and comments which help us find out about their preferences. We are happy and enthusiastic we met your expectations and would love to welcome you back one day.

What a nice review, we are flattered to know you had such a pleasant stay at our property and thank you very much for sharing your thoughts here with others.

Warm regards,

Carlos Batani
Assistant Manager

Reviewed 15 August 2016

Our first time at Grand Sirenis we had a lovely two weeks at the end of July.
A Big thank you to the perfect concierge Marlene and Reuben (we were in ChuChum block 2 rooms 2207 &2209) they were fantastic any thing we needed and they sorted out from trips to shuttles the kids loved chatting to them and they gave the kids some lovely gifts thank you xx
We had a little problem with the air con unit my husband mentioned it to Reuban (I'm not complaining it would turn off so not as bad as if it didn't work)as they sorted it within a couple of days.
The rooms were cleaned daily fresh towels and drinks in the fridge replaced along with lovely towel displays every day from elephants to baskets.
The rooms were a bit of a walk from the lobby but there was never any rushing about so it we enjoyed the walks bonus was seeing the wild life.
The food was lovely we had no problems with the choice at the buffet there was something for everyone. The restaurants were also very nice good choice of food and waiters were good. Our favourite were the Thai, Japanese and Brazilian great food.
Ok so the TVs were old who cares the scenery was beautiful and kids loved watching the wildlife (lizards, racoons and white tailed coti also fish and turtles wow). People on trip advisor mentioned seaweed on beach but it wasn't a problem as some very industrious men cleaned it up so it wasn't a problem. I have to mention the beach bars the waiters/waitresses were fantastic they never stopped and it was very busy sometimes.
A big thank you to Karen who served us constantly whilst on the beach along with the towel gentleman sorry I've forgotten his name but a cold towel on a hot day is very nice.
Lazy river the kids loved it and it wasn't far from the pools so they didnt have to walk far.
I must mention the animation staff Alan ( always had a wonderful smile and my son thought he was great as he remembered his name and always had a little chat to us), Leonardo and all the others were great they worked all day entertaining the customers then put on fantastic shows one being the Lion king it was brilliant again kids loved it.
We Really enjoyed the holiday.

Room Tip: 2207 & 2209 interconnecting rooms lovely garden view and excellent concierge Marlene Aguilar and Reuban
6  Thank Tina B
Reviewed 15 August 2016

Our holiday at Grand Sirenis has been fantastic.Leonardo, has made it even better, Involving us in all of the activites. As Members we will be definitely becoming back next year 2017 as it has been brilliant and we don't want to leave after being here for 3 and a half weeks. We love it here and we cant wait to come back again.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely, we have been here twice now and no problems have occurred.
3  Thank lisa6712016
Reviewed 15 August 2016

We just returned from an 8 day stay at the Grand Sirenis, and overall had an excellent time. Some highlights/low lights:

- By-in-large, the staff was amazing (5 star), and took a real interest in the well being and experience of the guests. Specifically, Diego (Vasquez Cruz i believe) and Isaac, the concierges for building 27, took a concerted interest in my family's stay. Diego specifically was also very knowledgeable about the area, and made great recommendations for off-site activities and spots that would be easily missed by tourists. He was awesome. Everyone from shuttle drivers to bar staff and entertainment teams seemed genuinely invested in our stay, which is not always the case.

- The food: the a la carte restaurants were actually pretty good by resort standards, and all had legitimate decor and ambiance which is practically unheard of at all inclusives. The buffet food was plentiful- but pretty bleh- but what you'd expect. There were ample snack options throughout the day around the pools, beach etc

- Beach: I loved it. It wasn’t an expansive white sand beach like Cancun or PDC resorts, more of rocky cove feel with islands, a certified Mayan ruin, coral out croppings etc. Great snorkeling and rock jumping right from the front of the hotel, it was killer and incredibly scenic.

- Pools- Three main pools- one was the main pool/bar and was pretty raucous and uncouth. The quieter middle pool had no bar, but was more serene. The upper pool was a balance of the two. Also, there is a sizeable lazy river that weaves through the property which was unique and pretty cool

- Property- Very cool. Actually carved out of the jungle, but with keeping a real eco feel replete with paths, trees and forests intact. There was even an empty cenote by building 18. That made for lots of wildlife: tons of coatis, raccoons (mapache), iguanas, monitors, birds, sereque (agoti) and an occassional spider monkey on the perimeter. This was one of our favorite parts, and there are trails you can walk around the property to explore

- Activies- besides pools, bars, beach etc- there were lots of games, shows, yoga, a discotech (didnt check it out), tennis, basketball, archery, on site dolphin area (xtra fee), bikes and tons of water activities, all non-motorized were free (xtra fee jet skis, parasailing, deep sea fishing etc)

- Facillities and upkeep- okay. Buildings were HOT- like extremely hot, even with the middling AC they had going, most interior buildings were well over 80F/27C. Our room AC read 19C, but was well over that, and sleeping was incredibly hard and hot. Other guests reported the same. Layout was a little confusing at first, but that is actually a testament to how they've weaved the resort through nature

The downsides

1. The clientele. I am used to being one of the few American families at resorts, but this was something else. It was as though an entire colony of football hoolies and their children had descended on the pool- drinking endless amounts of bottom shelf hooch, chain smoking and cussing up a storm. Im no prude, but it was insane for a family resort. Twice in the first three days, the main pool was evacuated bc of human waste- from toddlers, but due entirely to negligent parenting. Staff had a hard time keeping up with these wretches. It undermined the beauty and tranquility that the resort alleges.

2. We sat through the Sirenis premium travelers pitch (essentially a time share) bc of some of the promotional upside- free 2 hour spa treatment etc. I knew what to expect, and had investigated a bit on my own, and ensured that if we were to buy, we could enact the 5 day rescission clause cancelling commitment if we found that they contract/experience wasn’t as presented. So, sure enough, we commit and pay for a mid level package, and received some of the upgrades through the week- access to "members only" areas with Balinese beds (beach and pools) and better service, premium spirits, access to the "French Restaurant", wifi, etc. We were actually pretty excited and the pitch was okay- but beware, it isnt the 2 hours they report, it is more like 5, plus 2 more if you buy. That's a full day. However, through the week, we began to see holes in the program: the members only areas were always too full to accommodate us, the extra shuttles were often late/hard to find and in 99 degree heat and 85% humidity, you don’t want to hoof it far. There was no special bfast or lunch service, the wifi was iffy, we had problems with the spa booking and i wasnt able to take my appt etc etc. So, the next to last day, i write a cancellation letter in accordance with Mexican consumer protection, bring it to the office and send to all pertinent addresses, and am told that this contract "is not protected under that clause" and the sales guy comes back with a guilt pitch, and some snide pressure etc, which i wasnt having any of. Eventually, they did the right thing, but it was another 2 horrid hours of negotiating and debating something that wasnt debatable: the Sirenis just isn’t luxury enough to be worth the sizeable extra coin, regardless of the slick pitch of a sales guy and a couple of fancy demo suites.

So, after we finalize the cancellation, they were polite and professional about it, but obviously peeved, which I understand as I had essentially cost them a sale. We were made to pay retroactively for dining in their members only French restaurant, which while okay, wasn’t worth the paying rate they charged, as well as charging me for wifi access for 5 devices (I used the same free wifi code for each device) – which I all found a little nickel and dimey given the fact that I had paid to upgrade my suite on arrival and was into them for over $3 grand all in. C’est la vi, but I found the whole experience entirely untoward, and it cost me a full day of vacation.

Overall: had we avoided the Sirenis Premium Travelers trap, and avoided the main pool entirely - I think we would have enjoyed our stay more. But the lack of functioning AC was a real issue, and there was just some ick to the stay. I'd go back in a pinch bc my kids aren’t as picky, the snorkeling and layout was cool, and I did love the staff.

But in the area, there are so many amazing villas for rent, that for us are more luxurious and better accommodating to our family.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family