Reviews (14 034)
1 484
7 713
3 854
1 484
All reviews don pablo hacienda section diamond club tequila restaurant snack bar a la carte restaurants thomas cook fish gbp tulum bahia principe tulum tulum ruins main buffet dolphin pool show table breakfast and lunch main pool smaller pool
247 - 252 of 14 034 reviews
Reviewed 29 June 2018

Stayed for a weekend getaway with my wife and friends. The resort is located about 1:15 from the Cancun airport, but the drive was easy and fun. Upon arrival our rooms were not ready, but we were allowed to eat and utilize the facilities during our wait. The weather during our stay was horrible with heavy rain and winds.The pools, pool bars and beached were closed the entire time. No fault of the hotel, but it did not allow us to utilize all of the facilities that the hotel offers.
The room was average for a resort in this area. Nice bathroom, comfortable beds and a balcony. The resort is huge, there are shuttles that can take you anywhere you need to go, but it is also easy to walk.
All of the al-a-carte restaurants were fantastic, with great service and food. We made reservations at Tequila, Tortuga and Le Gourmet. Enjoyed them all.
We did walk down to the beach and I have never seen that much seaweed. It was piled 4-5 feet high everywhere. The beach is very rocky so be careful.
Other than the weather we really enjoyed the stay and would recommend this resort.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank jglopga
Management response:Responded 29 June 2018

Dear guest,

We would like to send you a big GRACIAS for your visit to our beautiful hotel!

It is our best reward receiving your recognition to the personal attention our colleagues offer, the comfortable room and the excellent food in our restaurants.

Your evaluation is of special importance and please be assured that we have shared your feedback with the rest of the team, we all take your suggestions as a learning tool and will keep working to improve our services and make sure our entire guest feel welcomed.

Please, do not hesitate on contact us at: info.tulum@bahia-principe.com .We hope you will visit us again and we will do our utmost to accommodate your needs and make your stay enjoyable. ;-)

Our best regards from the Mexican Caribbean,

Monserrat G. Lazcano

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

One saving grace of this place is the absolutely wonderful staff and that is it.
Why have I given it such a low score:
1. We wanted a beach holiday and every single day we were there 15-30 workers dredging up 5ft piles of stinking seaweed, just so 2 X bobcats and 1 X JCB could be loaded up continuously. I don't care if it's not the hotels fault and they are doing their best. We tried but the smell of diesel fumes and stinking seaweed drove us from the beach, let alone the sea which was an absolute impossibility to enter.
2. We thought, ok we will go by one of the pools then. Unless we put towels out on chairs by 7am not a chance. We complained to Thomas cook and the hotel, and all they said was they take towels off unless they've got personal items out. I would have persisted but after going into the pool once which felt like swimming in liquid suncream, I then witnessed one child drop a full ice cream into a pool and several drunk adults drop their drinks into the pool.
3. It's a timeshare or rather they call it privilege club. You get hassled in the foyer, hassled on the beach, cards dropped into rooms, etc. We again complained to the Thomas cook rep, and asked why we weren't warned at the welcome meeting. The answer we received was that they were not allowed to mention it.
4. Transport is ridiculous. Due to the size of the place it's a necessity to get transport to other hotels for the a la carte restaurants and you end up one one of the many speeding vehicles flying around on the walkways. When these vehicles meet other vehicles plus other pedestrians, it's the pedestrians who lose out, with a wing mirror smacking onto my arm and luckily not causing any injury. Absolutely hundreds of these blasted things flying around all the time and very annoying.
5. Luke warm food and impossible to get tables in the buffet restaurant. You have to stand and wait for tables to be laid due to the enormous mass of humanity waiting to be fed at this massive hotel. Even some of the a la carte restaurants end up serving Luke warm food which I assumed they'd just fetched from the buffet restaurant. The saving grace of this was the Brazilian restaurant where you get hot sliced meat straight from the BBQ.
6. Damp conditions in our room made all our clothes damp and really musty and our suitcases actually ended up weighing more going back than coming.
7. The dolhphinarium is an absolute disgrace to humanity. All those idiots who pay to swim with one of the SIX Dolphins who are eternally cramped into a small swimming pool should be ashamed of themselves. When they are made to do tricks with people, the poor things had to cut tricks short to stop themselves crashing into the wall of the pool. Absolute cretins who pay money for this as it keeps the animals hemmed in for life and was very distressing to view.
8. The clientele at our hotel were awful. Even though the bars do waitress service, drunk mainly British guests insisted on queuing up for their quadruple vodkas etc at midday (same ones having bloody Mary's at breakfast) whilst their kids run around uncontrolled slipping over or running between the tables without a care in the world, or should I say the parents didn't have a care in the world. As long as they could drink themselves into oblivion and sing awful karaoke, then all is well in the world for them.
Would I ever visit here again - absolutely not.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 28 July 2018

Dear Guest:

First of all thank you for visiting our hotel and for sharing your point of view.

Regarding the situation described, we are sorry that we have not exceeded your expectations and disappointment with some services we offer; accept our sincere apologies that certainly does not reflect the commitment and the quality that we have exhibited for many years.

We hope to have the opportunity to change your perception in the future as we believe you will enjoy our new services.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at our e-mail address info.tulum@bahia-principe.com

Sending you our best regards,

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

My extended family has returned to this resort many times since 2007, and each visit has surpassed our expectations!

It is truly an understatement to say that this resort has something for everyone. They have excellent activities and supervision for the little ones, so much so that my youngest cousins insisted we return to this resort specifically for the Mini-Club, and we always felt confident they were in good hands.

The ‘animation team’ is delightful and very good at encouraging us to join in fun games at the main bar, or a pickup game of water polo in the main pool. The nightlife is particularly good at the Hacienda, whether you like to relax in the beer garden with live music, or dance in their own club.

The multiplicity of venues and facilities at this resort is simply unmatched.

The food is simply extraordinary, both in the buffets and in the many à la carte restaurants.

The attentiveness and cleanliness of the service everywhere in the resort is exemplary. Everyone is so polite, and we are always humbled by how welcome the staff make us feel.

We 100% recommend this resort. Once you stay here, you will never want to stay at a different resort ever again!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Samuel O
Management response:Responded 28 June 2018

Dear Guest:

On behalf of our team we thank you for taking the time to put together the details of your vacation experience at Grand Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

It is a real pleasure to know that you enjoyed your holidays with us.

We are always striving to provide our guests with the highest quality service so that they could stay absolutely content with their vacations at our hotel.

Thank you once again for your choice and we are looking forward to your next visit in order to repeat this great experience. : - )

Please, do not hesitate to contact us at our email address info.tulum@bahia-principe.com

Sending you our best regards,

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

Right, we booked this hotel based on what we’ve read here. That was without a doubt a mistake. But there are positives.

The grounds are lovely and the most of the staff do work hard and it’s nice to see so much wildlife around a resort.

The shows in the evening were a bit cheesy but watchable apart from the kids frozen one which was awful( that’s the opinion of my four year old)

There can’t be any blame attached to the hotel for the state of the beach and the staff do work hard to clear it but it’s covered in seaweed.

That’s pretty much as good as it gets. Let’s start with the food. We visited two of the restaurants. The Mexican in The Tulum resort and the Italian in The Coba resort. The Mexican was a disgrace, food cold, not offered any pudding and a bit of plastic found in the beef. And we had finished within 25 mins. The lasagne in The Italian came out barely warm and the female toilets were flooded. The Buffet was ok but gets boring quickly, I got a horrific sickness bug which laid me up for two days and 6 days later I still can’t eat a full meal, what’s concerning is that the reps well ours anyway (Thomas Cook) deny there is an issue despite there been at least 8 cases that I know of and all associated with Thomas Cook customers.

You can’t get a drink without waiting ages. The kids show starts at 8, the bar doesn’t open until at least 8.30 which means if you want a drink you have to queue at least 20 mins in the lobby bar meaning if you’re watching the kids show with your family you miss half of it. The first 5 days we were there, there was a tropical storm over the resort, no fault of the hotel but it meant the floors were beyond slippy, and we saw countless people slipping over including my wife on some stairs. The floor literally floods with water. A quite frankly shocking design and beyond dangerous. People broke ankles and injured themselves on this. Now back onto the drink situation. When it rains there’s only one place you can get a drink from which is the lobby bar, all the other bars were closed for 5 days meaning that bar is packed beyond belief. Not exactly the easy access to a drink that is promised. They need more bar staff at the resort. Even at quieter times it takes an age to get a drink. Really poor.

The rooms are basic. We had a ground floor room and it had a stench of damp in it, we met a couple who had to have a dehumidifier in the room which collected countless amounts of water each day. Our room was classed as a Junior Suite. Never have I heard so much rubbish in my life. A bed and a mattress with a bit of wood on. It’s a good job we had a jacuzzi bath, well we couldn’t use it as the plug didn’t fit, we told the resort twice, twice they didn’t sort it. The lampshades had mouldy on them, a handle fell of a draw the cupboard to the fridge didn’t shut and the shower head was falling off the wall. And our room was cleaned at any point between 9am and 5pm, when I say cleaned I mean the bed was made.

They have dolphins at the resort, the dolphins are kept in a swimming pool and you can hear them whimper. It’s disgusting and I’m disgusted that they think this is acceptable.

They have these little carts that take you across the resort. It’s a great little idea but they seem to make it up as they go along as to where they go and at what time. Don’t buy anything at The Hacienda shopping bit. Ridiculously expensive. And it’s better value for you to get a taxi into Tulum or Playa.

We stayed in the little pool near the Mexican restaurant. The big pool had lots of issues with people being sick in there, which is a shame as it’s the best pool but we didn’t go there once because of the stories we heard. What I would say is that the music at the little pool
Wasn’t always suitable for little kids. Lots of swearing etc.

I just don’t understand all the hype about the place. I’m beyond disappointed with it all if I’m being honest. There’s a mix of families, couples and groups of lads and girls there and it just doesn’t work. The place is too big for them to keep a track of it all. I won’t visit there again.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 28 July 2018

Dear Guest:

We appreciate you choosing our resort for your holidays and sharing your impressions.

We are more than happy to know that you enjoyed your holidays with us, the grounds, the wildlife, the staff and our facility.

We truly understand your review and appreciate the opinion that all of our present and future customers may have about a dolphinarium in an hotel complex, some of them are against the dolphin captivity, others appreciate the new attraction being in hands of a professional organization, as an enterprise with experience in the building of a controlled habitat in specially created aquariums.

We have taken note of every detail you have mentioned in your for been revised with those departments involved.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future, it will be wonderful to say hello to you again!

Our best regards!

Reviewed 26 June 2018

Where to start?? This place is AMAZING! I was so worried about coming here after reading some reviews on Trip advisor and Facebook. I laugh now as I wonder why I listen to some people.
Of course we all have different views and everyone’s experiences will not be the same but I am going to give an in depth review and my honest opinion.
On arrival was so impressed after that long journey there with a 5 year old I was dreading standing around waiting to check in, I didn’t need to worry this was a quick process.
The bell boy then dropped us to our room with our luggage. The resort is big, you can walk it but not with your luggage.
Rooms a good size, beds are comfortable. We was in room 1111 this was opposite 24 hour snack bar with a sea view, really lovely room and well located.
This holiday was a 30th birthday present from my partner, the room door was decorated with a banner and balloon, just a nice touch I thought.
The main pool was where we spent most of our time this is in 3 sections, the lower part with the pool bar is a lot of fun, I was with my family but if I wasn’t I would have spent my time here, the entertainment team are amazing have you playing games, dancing all day. The buffet food was always good I am pretty fussy and never had an issue. We only went to 2 a la carte we did Tequila and the Brazilian, just wow! They were amazing, my partner is a meat lover and impressed him. We did a few excursions jungle buggies booked through the hotel around the pool, recommend this highly. We also went to xel-ha booked online before we went out as this worked out cheaper, it was $15 in a taxi to get there. We booked a dolphin through Thomas cook this was at Pueurtos Adventurous (possibly the wrong spelling) this was the most amazing day of my life, we swam with dolphins, manatees and sea lions its only about 15 minutes from the hotel and $20 in a taxi. Lets get to the dolphins in the hotel, we paid to do the small package here to get my son used to it before going in the sea and doing it. This was a waste of money, save your money and do not waste your time. This is such a small enclosure for these beautiful animals, it’s a goldmine, they wanted $75 for 3 photos and they had to be of the same person you couldn’t mix and match. The keepers didn’t know what to do after you had kissed and cuddled the dolphin so you just stood in a line and stroked the poor dolphin over and over again . Go to Peurtos Adventurous and experience these animals at their best you will not regret it. I’m annoyed we wasted our money with the hotel dolphins but you live and learn. The weather was beautiful but please remember you are in in Mexico you are in the rain forest, when it rains it rains and it will rain especially if you go in the rainy season, do not blame this on the hotel they cannot control the weather. The seaweed, yes the beach is full of seaweed but they do everything they can to get it removed. It is not just at this hotel this is throughout the Riviera Maya as I was talking to people at the airport about it, again this is nature do not blame the hotel. The grounds are stunning and the gardeners and cleaners work so hard. Kids club, my son loved being here, this is the first year he has been able to decide if he goes and he chose to go, he had the best time. The effort that goes in to keeping them entertained is spot on. Jacqui the lady who runs the kids club, you are an incredible lady, you are an asset to this hotel, she works dawn till dusk and is always smiling and is so happy. My son fell in love and it was heart breaking when we left. Jacqui and Rubi keep up the good work ladies. The entertainment team on a whole are one of the best I have ever seen so much effort is made and the evening shows are great! All the staff are very polite and helpful a big thanks to our daytime waiter Felipe and evening waiter Ronaldo again they are a credit to this hotel. We loved this hotel so much we have decided we will have it as our wedding venue. Best advice I can give is go and experience this place for yourself, relax and enjoy you will not be disappointed. Thank you Bahia principe Tulum we will be back.

Room Tip: rooom 1111 sea view and good location
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
13  Thank Beckiekemsley
Management response:Responded 26 June 2018

Dear Guest:

We are delighted to receive your feedback and that you have visited us recently.

It is rewarding for us to know what you spent a wonderful days of holidays in the resort.

We would like to let you know that it was honor for our team to be at your service during your stay at our resort.

We are sorry for your disagreement of the dolphinarium in the hotel complex; this attraction is being in hands of a professional organization, as an enterprise with experience in the building of a controlled habitat in specially created aquariums. The dolphins have never known the open seas experience as they are born in captivity which is not an excuse or explanation to defend this activity, but information we want to give to our concerned customers.

Thank you once again for your choice and we are looking forward to your next visit for your wedding venue to spend another memorable holiday here .♥

Best regards,