“Lovely taste of rural Newfoundland”
other travellers have booked this property
The Village of New Bonaventure The Harbour of New Bonaventure
The Village of New Bonaventure
The Harbour of New Bonaventure
Hodder House
Hodder House
Rock the Sunset away on the wrap around deck
Icebergs in season
Wildlife abounds
Whales are just off shore
Upstairs Landing
View from the master bedroom
Master Bedroom
Living room Featuring 32' TV/DVD Combo
Livingroom
Fully Equipped Kitchen
Kitchen window view
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Edward A
Kamloops, Canada
“Lovely taste of rural Newfoundland”
Reviewed 26 September 2015 for a stay in July 2015

The Hodder House is a charming saltbox with many original fixtures and furnishings. The beds were comfortable, and everything felt homey. The kitchen is pretty well stocked - including a perfect lobster tool, which came in handy for the three beauties we bought in Clarenville and cooked at the house. It would have been great to have a really big cooking pot, but we made do. Aside from the low ceilings that clipped my husband's noggin several times, which can't be helped in an old house, only marvelled at, we thoroughly enjoyed our short stay and only wished more time had been open on the rental schedule.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Shena1964
Mount Pearl, Canada
“The weather may not have been warm and welcoming but the house certainly was!!!”
Reviewed 24 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015
people found this review helpful

We were surprisingly happy to find the quality of items made available to us was well above what we had expected. You know.... pots/pans, dishes, linens! Staying in rentals you expect to find lower grade items. This was definitely not the case at Hodder House! The cookware was top-shelf stuff and everything we needed was provided; except a microwave which would have been nice but we managed quite well without it. I just boiled that poor kettle a few times more than I would have had there been a microwave on site. Hey, I like my tea HOT!

The house was charming and creaky just as you'd expect a house of that era to be. It was a welcome change from the "new" homes we live in today and, as a true Newfoundlander, it brought back memories of my grandmother's salt box house. Just missed the smell of the old woodstove and fresh bread in the warmer.

We didn't have great weather during our visit.... heck even Hodder House can't work miracles!!! It would have been nice to have a firepit on site for those chilly nights that we went through but I understand how that may not be feasible with fire regulations and insurance risks and such. It was just wishful thinking on our parts at the time to to be able to hear the crackling of the logs again!!!

One other small detail that was my fault for not asking - one should never just assume and as a bayperson I should have known to at least ask - but we never had cell phone service at the site. The house phone provided allowed us to call out but, due to some call display error, it wouldn't allow anyone to call us!!! Very disconcerting to parents who have left their young adult offspring at home with the assumption that they can be reached as easily 'round da bay as they can in town!!! One quick email (thanks to the on-site free wifi) to the property owner and a very rapid call back to me on the house phone put everything to right so no harm no foul! Thanks again to the home owner who, after reading my email re the house phone, called from Europe to make sure our every need was dealt with!!! You just can't ask for better than that!

All in all, I'd have to give Hodder House and its owners a bit thumbs up!!! Oh yes, and the place was spotless!!! The cleaning staff should be very proud of themselves!!! The pictures shown on the website were absolutely accurate and depicted the property perfectly!

I will definitely be back and can think of no other place I'd like to stay!

Written by Shena on behalf of her and her housemates (Dave, Michelle & James)

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Travelling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing