Compass Rose(Grand Manan)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 21/07
US$112
The Marathon Inn(North Head)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$102
St. Andrews Motor Inn(Saint Andrews)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$153
Free cancellation until 25/07
US$341
US$277
Redclyffe Shore Motor Inn(Robbinston)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$131
US$97
Granite Town Hotel(St. George)(Great Value!)
US$86
  • Beachfront
Rossmount Inn(Chamcook)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$120
All reviewsgathering placethe barnlookout cabincomposting toiletsthe ownerloved every minutean amazing placeexplore the islandbird watchinggrand manan islandjamesbirdhouseloftchickensfunkypropertynature
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

What a beautiful surprise! The uniqueness of the Castalia Marsh Retreat is wonderful. We stayed in the Lookout Cabin on the marsh and loved every minute! Rustic yes, but with a homey feel of all amenities. James was very accommodating as we were from the USA and traveling on the the last ferry.

My favorites were watching the early sunrise and the eagles fly over. Would stay at the retreat again!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2018

Well Ive been thinking about writting this review for awhile, because i had a similar experience, as the people who didnt like the creepy handyman. We love camping on Grand Manan, but this time we treated ourselves to a cabbin. It was a really cool cabin with a great view of the marsh especially when the sun came up. I liked the pond and it was fun watchng the chickens (I'm from the city, LOL). Also there were lots of birds and it was a quiet place. the owner looks like my uncle and he was nice! Buuuut.. i went for a walk around one night and i met the guy the other reviewer mentioned near the shower building. I also thought maybe he had been drinking and it was nearly dark and it was just kind of scary. I ran all the way back to the cabbin! I didnt say anything because I thought it would sound silly. but then I saw the other review because were going to Grand manan again this year. So I told my family and they believed me! and they said I should write my own review. I dont know if he still works there or not, I guess we could call and ask, LOL, but were going to stay somewhere else this year. It was a nice place if you like nature and quiet but i wouldn't reccomend it for female travelors.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
James B, Owner at Castalia Marsh Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2018

I’m so sorry I have been so busy getting the cabins ready for the season I have not paid attention to the business end like social media. I’m appalled to hear about your negative experience with our temporary help. He has rough exterior and a intense personality but a caring heart. He is much more likely to come to your rescue then to endanger you. He is helping me finishing a building project here this week then he’ll be moving on.

Reviewed 5 June 2018

Castalia Marsh Retreat is one of the most magical places I've ever had the chance to visit. I found a picture of one of the cabins on the internet, and knew I had to see it in person. 2 years later, we've decided to make it a annual tradition.
Castalia Marsh Retreat is made up of a handful of cabins, each more beautiful and unique than the last. The cabins themselves reflect the beauty of their location. They are surrounded by trees and look out onto a salt marsh- there is no shortage of beautiful views and birdwatching available.
The cabins come equipped with a kitchen and the essentials needed for cooking. They have composting toilets and outdoor solar showers, but there are also flush toilets and indoor showers on site (check their website to make sure this is accurate for every cabin).
The owner James is warm, friendly and helpful. He built all of the cabins, and keeps them running. He is always willing to take time to talk to you about the marsh and the island.
Grand Manan island provides countless adventures, and short or long hikes. It's an amazing place to come and relax, and appreciate nature.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2018

We stayed briefly at Castalia Marsh Retreat, and whilst we had discussed, before arriving, asking to extend our stay if we liked it, as things turned out, we checked out and moved on. The accommodations are all right, if you like rustic. The owner was pleasant enough. However, there is another man living on the property, some sort of part-time work-for lodging employee, of whom we had a rather poor impression. This ruffianly-looking fellow lives in a decrepit trailer in a trashy corner of the property, and each time we spotted him in our comings and goings, he seemed to be drinking. After dark, we began to be uncomfortable without much lighting around the cabin. We decided we would prefer an establishment with more professional staff. It's a pity, but we would not stay here again, and under the circumstances, would not recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2018

We really enjoyed our stay at Castalia Marsh Retreat! The Birdhouse was so unique and cozy and the views in the morning were gorgeous. Our black lab Rosie had a wonderful time too! While the property and units are very simple and rustic, we enjoyed the back to nature feel. The kitchen had everything we needed to prepare yummy meals, lots of fridge space for storing food and enough counter space for cooking. We loved having the fire place for cozy evening fires and the little deck out front was perfect for sipping coffee and bird watching across the marsh.

We did have a leak on the first night from one of the upstairs windows and one of us had a tick embedded in the skin one morning :( Not sure if this had come from hiking the trails earlier in the day or what, but just a reminder to dress appropriately when out on the trails. Aside from that, we do hope to be back one day and wish James all the best :)

Room Tip: Birds Nest is great!
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple