“A beautiful place”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of The Scuba Shack

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“A beautiful place”
Reviewed 11 August 2017 for a stay in April 2017
person found this review helpful

We have been visiting the Sunshine Coast and have stayed in many vacation rentals.
The Scuba Shack offered more than we needed and it was fantastic! I can't say enough good things about it. It was fantastic value!
We enjoyed the beautiful deck that felt like you were in the forest. We enjoyed an evening soak in the hot tub in a secluded lower deck and we even had time to enjoy the firepit on the property!
The beds were very comfortable and we enjoyed cooking in the well-equipped kitchen. Although we never got to try out the espresso machine it was a nice option - if we were brave enough to try making our own latte.
We ate dinner every night out on the deck and most nights enjoyed a quick walk down to Tuwanek beach for a swim.
We also walked over to Pedals and Paddles to rent our paddleboards and kayaks a couple of times.
I highly recommend trying out the Scuba Shack for your next get-away. The only thing it was missing was a vied of the ocean, but it made up for in many other ways!
We thoroughly enjoyed the Scoba Shack! Thanks!

Doug B
“Amazing place to stay on the shine coast (tuwanek)”
Reviewed 20 February 2017 for a stay in February 2017

We had the pleasure of staying here for the Family Day long weekend. We had an absolutely amazing time. it was my wife, 2 small kids (3 and 6) and myself, and we spent the weekend exploring, hiking, playing at the beach, and relaxing in the hot tub. If you are interested in staying on the sunshine coast, then you need to see this place. Absolutely amazing. 10/10 we will be back :)

Andrew K
Vancouver, Canada
“Very Nice "Shack"”
Reviewed 18 March 2015 for a stay in March 2015

We stayed at the Scuba Shack just recently and I have to say I was impressed, especially with the owner Jonathan. He was very personable and sent a few very informative emails and even left a lovely welcome card and chocolates for us in the cabin.

We both loved the log fire that was available to use, with basically unlimited logs outside to use. Getting the thing lit was another matter, I need to hone my skills!

The kitchen was very well equipped, everything we needed there, and the selection of movies was great, although unfortunately the one we wanted to watch had a damaged disk.

The hot tub was also excellent, just what we wanted when looking for a private getaway. One thing though, it does seem to take a long time to heat up. We set the temperature to 104 at around 4.30pm, at which point it was at 69, and when we got into the hot tub at 9.30pm it was only at 98. Only 6 degrees off sure, but it was luke warm at 98 and after 5 hours I expect it to be at temperature. Mind you, the second day it did reach 104 after just a couple of hours and was a delight!

One other gripe I would have is that the beds weren't the most comfortable. The first night we tried the master bed, and you could feel the springs quite clearly. The second night we tried the other bedroom and it was a little better, but still not great. That is being picky though, you can't expect hotel quality beds in a small rental like this, I guess we just got used to our king mattress at home.

Overall I would highly recommend the Scuba Shack. The owner is pleasant to deal with, has a strong attention to the guests comfort and the cabin itself has everything you could hope for and more.

Liked best: The Log Fire
Liked least: The Beds
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Management Response
3 May 2015
Hi Andrew,
Thanks so much for your online review!
I'm really excited to let you know I've recently ordered two brand new Westin Heavenly Beds. These mattresses are considered to be some of the best in the high end hotel business.
I do apologize for the hot tub not being up to 101+ degrees upon arrival. I had guests checking-out that morning and didn't have the hot tub emptied / refilled until about 12pm. I like to ensure every guest has fresh water in their own personal hot tub - for their getaway. I remember your check-in day the water entered the hot tub at a chilly 46 degrees. On these cold 'winter' days I'll be sure to add hot water during refilling to help speed up the heating process. The hot tub heats at about 6 degrees / hour as there is quite a lot of water inside.
I'm happy that overall you had a great getaway. I do hope you will return and get a chance to work on your fire skills :)
Thanks again for booking
JD
jodylynn0...
Vancouver, BC
“Truly exceptional scuba hideaway - the perfect escape!”
Reviewed 6 January 2014 for a stay in December 2013

Thank you very much for a more than perfect stay at your wonderful cabin. I live in New Westminster, BC and I am an avid scuba diver. I have traveled to Tuwanek before to dive, but have never stayed the night as I usually make only a day trip. This won't be my last time to sleep over though since now I know of the perfect place to stay! My partner traveled very far, all the way from Austin, TX and was very impressed as well with this wonderful little gem. I was proud to show him around with what the Pacific Northwest has to offer in the way of diving.

The small touches in the cabin were unexpected (lights and lanterns everywhere and little amenities that may have been forgotten were available for use), however how you went out of your way to arrange everything to make our dive vacation flow flawless will never be forgotten (you know what I am referring to).

The two bedrooms are separated, which is lovely if you have two couples staying or if you just like a little room to spread out (we have a lot of camera gear and appreciated the extra space). The kitchen was well equipped with everything we needed and the bathroom was updated (not just a shower stall also, there was actually a tub). I should not fail to mention also that the entire cabin was absolutely spotless and more than up to my high standards. There were plenty of extra towels also. There was even a lantern in the living room that we took with us to utilize for our night diving at the beach (of course leaving it in the car) however it hung very well from the trunk while we were getting ready. The hot tub was extraordinary to jump into and we brought in the New Year sitting under the stars after a wonderfully full day of diving.

This place and the personal touches are extraordinary! Thanks so much for opening up your wonderful home for us to enjoy both for our New Years Eve holiday and hopefully again soon in the future.

Finally, communication with Jon was exceptional - I found it more than easy to handle the booking and any questions/concerns that I had. He went above and beyond making our stay perfect in every way. Thank you again!!

I have attached photos taken during our three day stay at the Scuba Shack - enjoy!!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The private hot tub and quick/personal response to communications was most appreciated.
Liked least: The beds could be a little more comfortable, perhaps a memory foam mattress could replace the dark wooded bedroom (left side) which was the hardest of the two.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
mmers05
Calgary, Canada
“A REAL GEM”
Reviewed 24 July 2013 for a stay in July 2013
person found this review helpful

My daughter and I decided only a few weeks before that we wanted to go away with her children (aged 7 and 10). We wanted a cottage, near a beach, and it had to be not too far from Vancouver (daughter lives there, I was flying out to Vancouver from Calgary). Jonathan was basically the only person who answered our VRBO request, I think by the time we decided to go away, so many places were already booked. He asked if we could shift our days forward by one day so that he could accomodate our request which worked out fine for us. He was so pleasant to deal with and the cottage was WONDERFUL! Very clean, 2 bedrooms, great hot tub area, great firepit area. Decks were lovely. The cottage was fully equipped - the kitchen had everything anyone could need. It was just perfect for a little getaway. In fact, I would have loved to stay longer. And the Sunshine Coast lived up to it's name - fabulous weather!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: all the decks!
Liked least: Can I say 'having to leave?'
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing